Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicbob View Post
....., just want to understand why people jackknife their trailer, I have zero experience pulling a fifth wheel but once you hit a certain angle, only the nose of the trailer will move and not the wheels, am I right?
To answer your question: In my opinion, jack knifing is a function of where you drive and where you camp.

We probably take our camper (33' fifth wheel) a lot of places where others would not go. That goes for driving and camping. We are pretty bad about pre-planning and usually just wing it. While this has put us in some interesting situations (I hate New Jersey now), we've always come out unscathed (even though I almost took it 3 cars and a traffic signal in Jersey).

This usually leaves us with not much choice in campsites and it is a fit it in or leave situation. I have surprised many people with the spots I've gotten the fifth wheel into. Had the whole crew out with coolers and camp chairs watching the show. This is where I've had to jack knife the most.

In the end, you can get by without the slider, if your aware of your situation.

I have a slider to protect my truck & camper and to keep my options open as far as possible. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #12

Medicbob have you looked into the Andersen aluminum hitch? Go to YouTube and look at the video it is a pretty good set up cost way less than a conventional slider hitch (600.00)and it only weighs 38 lbs or so,and no messy grease and a good turning radius to boot!

Old 01-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #13

medicbob, robkelly, & dalebra

After 15+ years with a TT we moved to our 1st FW 2 seasons ago, and from my experience there is definitely a learning curve to backing up a FW.
A FW doesn't respond like a TT, so it takes some practice and experience to get used to the way a FW responds.

After 2 seasons with our FW I'm still not 100% comfortable or confident, though I'm getting better at backing it up.

My advice is be patient and don't get frustrated. Each time backing up the FW you'll get better.

As far as hitches, everyone has their opinions and preferences.
As for us, we went with the PullRite SuperGlide automatic slider, just to have one less worry when turning or backing up. We've been extremely happy with our decision.

Also, in the 2 seasons we've had the FW, I don't think I've ever had the truck and FW in a full 90Deg Jackknife position.

The other thing that is different with a FW from a TT is when towing the FW tracks inside of the tow vehicle. So you will need to take wider turns with the FW then you typically did with your TT.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutshot View Post
Medicbob have you looked into the Andersen aluminum hitch? Go to YouTube and look at the video it is a pretty good set up cost way less than a conventional slider hitch (600.00)and it only weighs 38 lbs or so,and no messy grease and a good turning radius to boot!
I don't understand how the Anderson could prevent contact during a jack knife or be a replacement for a slider hitch???

Nothing on it moves! I believe it does move the pin location back, but that would put more load on the rear axle and lighten the front. I think it would be best compared to a fixed fifth wheel hitch.

I get that many are very happy with it, but if you are looking for a hitch that slides, this isn't it!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I don't understand how the Anderson could prevent contact during a jack knife or be a replacement for a slider hitch???

Nothing on it moves! I believe it does move the pin location back, but that would put more load on the rear axle and lighten the front. I think it would be best compared to a fixed fifth wheel hitch.

I get that many are very happy with it, but if you are looking for a hitch that slides, this isn't it!
I wasn't insinuating that the hitch moved or slid,the king pin location is moved backwards 4" with the adapter,then the ball is also (as you had stated)moved to the rear 5". I tow a 42' camper and I have never hit any part of my short bed truck. Watch the video and see how it works,it's a pretty neat design .
Old 01-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
I wasn't insinuating that the hitch moved or slid,the king pin location is moved backwards 4" with the adapter,then the ball is also (as you had stated)moved to the rear 5". I tow a 42' camper and I have never hit any part of my short bed truck. Watch the video and see how it works,it's a pretty neat design .
IMO, I suspect this is why you have airbags. Not that you wouldn't want them with a conventional 5er hitch but when you get the pin behind the rear axle you don't have the hitch weight where it needs to be.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
I don't know where I got that from. Maybe my mind was reading faster than my eyes.....

I'd like to see one of those in person some day. The part I have trouble understanding is how the aluminum block is attached to the pin and prevents rotation.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #18

Had a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins with the 6'4" bed and a slider hitch. Pulling a 2015 Eagle 33.5RETS. I have a new slider hitch, but have never had to pull the pin in the old Ram or the now new 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins also with a 6'4" bed. We go out every month with a camping club and so far, so good. I do keep a very close eye on the contact points when I am backing in at an angle. Also have a buddy with a 2015 Jayco Eagle 33 footer and a new Toyota Tundra that is the wife's. Just left my place going back to Florida after hunting season and backed in and knocked out her Toyota rear window. She is not a happy camper!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #19

Air bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
IMO, I suspect this is why you have airbags. Not that you wouldn't want them with a conventional 5er hitch but when you get the pin behind the rear axle you don't have the hitch weight where it needs to be.
The truck drops about 3 1/2 - 4" with out them,it pulled fine but I wanted a more level ride,I've also installed a 60 gallon fuel/tool box that didn't help with the sagging either.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #20

Aluminum block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I don't know where I got that from. Maybe my mind was reading faster than my eyes.....

I'd like to see one of those in person some day. The part I have trouble understanding is how the aluminum block is attached to the pin and prevents rotation.
The block is held in place by two eye bolts and four set screws,the eye bolts are in the front and rear of the king pin and the set screws are placed equally around the king pin. You first tighten the bolts then tighten the screws.I was Leary of it at first but a friend of mine had one,he had the steel version first then bought the aluminum model and has never had any problems,and he practically lives on the road with his job.