Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

new to fifth wheel

We have had two travel trailers but decided we wanted to move up so just bought a 2018 347BHOK. We were going to go with something new but this one looks like new and with the options it has probably saved about 40 thousand over buying new. We have had the outside kitchen on both travel trailers and was a requirement for new RV this one still has the full size outside kitchen big frig, pull out stove and sink. Most all new outside kitchens have small frig and no sink. Rig has awning on all the slideouts and a cummins LP generator in front underbelly compartment. Side by side big frig inside which is gas or elect so will run going down road. Bunks in the back for when kids and grandkids come along. I have plenty of truck 2021 Ram 3500 dually mega cab cummins diesel. Ordered a pullrite auto slider for truck, truck already has the fitfth wheel prep puck system. I know it is a lot of trailer but has everything we wanted been pulling a 36 ft TT so I'm hoping this will not be any worse to manuever than the TT was. Anybody have this model and any pointers for a new to fifth wheel guy.
djcoop52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #2

Congrats on the Fver! Safe Travels...
Being 42 ft, take your time backing into spots...can be little tricky even for the experienced folks out there. Mind the weight loading as well.. .may be a lot of storage space, but weight can get away from you real quick...took us a couple of months to "adjust" ourselves with what we "thought" we needed...we are full-time in ours (43ft 383FKWS), and had to pare down a bunch to stay within the weight but I'm sure you know this, just tempting with all the space you have.
Check the axles/leaf springs for sure as many have had issues with those - we have not as of yet (fingers crossed). But since you have a new RAM 3500, they tend to ride high in the back so your RV height needs to be checked to stay under the 13' 6" height - I've tried to adjust our hitch lower retaining the 6" bed clearance and we are still a little over 13' 6". Check the LP Regulator to make sure it was not one that was recalled... there are a lot of other things to consider, but those were some of the initial major things I had to adjust to when we went to our Fver... Cheers!
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #3

Congrats! I would agree with what Topperace said. That is a very long one so whenever you go to gas station you have to make sure that your tail end doesn't hit nothing just make sure that you go out far enough so you will clear.

As far as your truck you have more than enough truck, I thought about getting a dually for me I really don't need one, anyway safe travel sir and take it slow.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #4

Agreed on what they said!
Do yourself a favor and take.some of your $40k of saved money and ditch those pos drum brakes and upgrade to disc brakes. Wet bolts are a nice upgrade too, if it doesnt already have them.
If the trailer came with the solid junk pinbox, upgrade that too. The whole rig will thank you.
Biggest thing is enjoy it and have safe travels!
Congrats!!
Old 12-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #5

We traded our 23’ hybrid for the current 39’ 5th and love it. We upgraded in ‘12 and have had few problems, most of which I have taken care of. My big piece of advice is to watch the turns. Our bumper-pull followed the TV rear tire path pretty close. The 5th will turn inside the TV path, resulting in clipped curbs when turning right. My personal turning mantra is “turn late and wide”. Another learning point for me was entering confined areas (fuel stops, parking lots). My mantra on that is “don’t enter unless I can see a way out”. Congrats on your new 5th!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:44 AM   #6

Congratulations, I would also like to suggest you pay special attention to the axels, bearing and springs. Lippert had issues around that time with seals failing, brakes getting soaked in grease, Chinese bearings failing and brakes failing. Wet bolt kit is a great idea.

Get your rig weighed a couple times with and without water, take wide turns, pick your fuel stations carefully. Gas buddy has reviews on access. That’s a must have app.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:31 AM   #7

Congrats! After having a HTT (our first), then 3 TTs, we made the jump to a 5er 2 years ago. We have 6 kids, so had to wait until a few moved out to fith everyone in a truck vs the Excursion LOL. I have to admit, after 2 years I still enjoy the ease of a 5th wheel to hook up / unhook. The stability is nice, but on my 2 TTs I used a Hensley Arrow or ProPride, so never really had a bad issue with a TT, but on my F-350 a 5th wheel is like an extension of the truck.

You'll have a great time!
Old 12-31-2021, 07:19 AM   #8

Know your height and keep a sharp eye out for low overpasses and bridges. They do exist.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote