Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #1

New to the Jayco Family

We just purchased a slightly used 2013 Eagle Premier 351 MKTS . Are there any issues with this model I should fix before our camping season starts? We had a 2006 Challenger 34TBH FW, we bought new, prior to this Jayco. Size and weight are the same. I'm just looking for any common problems that might need attention. We are looking forward to using this FW. Thank you in advance
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome! I'm sure someone who can answer your model specific questions will be along shortly
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new-2-u Eagle.

(Noticed your city, Oconomowoc. Had to Google it. Didn't think it was real. Until now I thought 'Kalamazoo' was strange. )
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

Congrats on the nearly new Eagle and welcome to JOF. Don't know of any problems and not sure which slide mechs are used on that one but, unless you hear a ratcheting sound when the slide is fully closed or opened, keep the switch pressed for a few seconds for the mech to calibrate itself. Seeing as we're several weeks away from camping, read up on schwintek slides. If never had a problem with mine but I open and close fully with the additional 2 second switch activation every time.

OldmanAZ, you know you're a local when you can pronounce Oconomowoc.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
...snip..

OldmanAZ, you know you're a local when you can pronounce Oconomowoc.
... and you know you are (or were) a Kalamazoo local when you know what the name means.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

For me, it was Mahtomedi
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #7

My mailing address is Oconomowoc. We actually live in Okauchee Wi.
Try learning those towns as a young kid .
I have seen some posts about the slides, I'll have to do more homework.
Thank You.

OldmanAZ
Okay you have my interest up.
So what does Kalamazoo mean?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

Good question I live about 60 miles from there and I don't know wiki says it comes from a potawatomi word found in a British reporting 1772 ... Ok that makes it a lot better lol
Old 03-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Welcome, We have the 351RLTS. Routine maintenance is about all I can recommend. The wheels bearings may need to be inspected and repacked depending on how much the previous owner used it.
Check the age and condition of tires.
Inspect the roof for any areas that need re-caulking.
Check out and get familiar with all the systems.

Flush out all tanks and sanitize the fresh water tanks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

We had a 351 for two seasons. Great unit and didn't have any significant issues. Minor warranty work was done, but you will have a great time with it. We just sold ours for a toy hauler, but was very happy with the old unit.
WIBLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #12

Out of curiosity, if you bought it from Freedom, its probably our unit.
WIBLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #13

Hello, we can share with you our issues as we own a 2012 Eagle 351MKTS. We bought this new in November of 2012 and have used it approximately six months in 2013 and six months in 2014 and we’re just gearing up for this year’s travels.
We had a variety of problems (all covered under the two year warranty):
Both front and rear AC’s bolts securing them to the RV came loose and needed to be retightened. The barrier that exists inside the AC units housing where the filter is located was out of place and caused the AC’s to freeze up and then drip water into the RV. We repositioned this barrier which separates the conditioned air from the return. We used a little duct tape to secure it in place and we have not experienced a problem since.
Our unit has the generator prep kit which includes a transfer switch accessed from the storage area. The transfer switch started to hum and it gradually made greater noise to a point that it was bothersome. Jayco sent a replacement one out and we made the exchange. No further problems here.
We had squeaky floors in both the kitchen/entry area and the bathroom. Along with the squeaky floors we had nails or screws poking up under the linoleum. The linoleum was removed and the floors secured. This solved the squeak issue and was covered under warranty.
We had numerous problems with the large kitchen/living room slide (one side would stop and bind and we literally had to push on the outside while operating the control inside – a two person operation). This is the Schwintek slide which is also the same mechanism used on the bedroom slide. We took our RV to two different dealers who are authorized Jayco warranty service centers. One stated the rubber seals around the slides needed to be sprayed with silicone spray (that worked for one cycle). The next dealer synchronized the controllers and checked for any structural problems which none were found. Finally after two years the remedy for the large slide not working correctly was to keep the control button pressed until the mechanisms stop on their own (usually a second or two after the room is fully opened or closed). This is somewhat troublesome when you’re at a roadside rest stop or other area where there is not sufficient room to open the slide completely. You cannot open the refrigerator with the room closed – so keep your lunch in a cooler when traveling or dine out. We have not had any further problems since we started operating the large slide this way. Also, we do not use the remote to open or close the slide as it is positional and does not always have a constant connection. Instructions are available to resynchronize the controllers and you might want acquire and archive a copy for future use if needed.
The day and night window shades have all been replaced over the two year warranty. I believe we just got a bad batch. The replacements ones are working well (knock on wood).
The recliners have both been replaced with new ones from a different manufacture. The method for securing the recliners is a poor design. Jayco needs to come up with a solution for securing these while traveling.
The air bed has been replaced as it developed a slow leak. Our guest decided not to stay long. We were questioning whether or not to replace this leaky bed!
The brakes on one side failed and came apart. We had these replaced under warranty while traveling in Las Vegas. The toilet has been replaced, the living room TV has been replaced, the bathroom sink facet has been replaced, and the entry stairs have been repaired. Other than that our Jayco Eagle 351 MKTS has been trouble free!
We do love our RV and have enjoyed the comforts it offers us while exploring our Nation. Yours is a 2013 and we hope some of the issues we had were addressed and changed in the 2013 model. Even with all the problems we experienced we would buy another Jayco. Hope this helps.
Mike & Donna
Mbotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #14

WIBLAZER
Yes we did buy it from FreedomRV in Slinger. (small world)
I'm glad to hear that you seemed pleased with the unit.
We were wondering about how many miles are on the tires
Our last FW needed tires from dry rot before the tread was gone.
We mainly camp in Wis. but take one long trip each year.
This year heading east to the Gatlinburg TN (sp) area.
Any issue we should look out for?
We are looking forward to using the FW. You did an awesome job
with keeping the unit looking new.

Thank You
Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #15

Don't have your rig (or anything similar), but wanted to congratulate you on your purchase and welcome you to The Forum.

Enjoy!