Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #61

Rock... That 10" difference in wheelbase made the mega cab fit in my driveway. The 10" doesn't seem like much but it was enough I would have to park on the street here.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Earl,
This is my third Ram 3500 but first dually. They advertise the entire truck is new, frame and suspension along with the sealed nitrogen system. U are absolutely right with ur reply about the air suspension on that Chevy post. I went right to the shock people when I added the Firestone bags to my last 3500. And doing what they told me to set the shocks at max rebound I only added the min amount of air. I tried every PSI from 50 to 5. I guess if u own a Chevy u need to do other stuff. As a past pro stock racer with my worked 1970 GTX and and A/P mechanic i am not a clueless person just like u know Mopar. We both know our Rams.
Oh hell, I thought he was an inexperienced new to mopar guy. I'm on my phone, so I don't see signatures. No wonder he had to add air bags, I don't believe GM offers an air suspension. Factory non air with aftermarket air bags suck. This factory air suspension is mind blowing. Even empty with 80 lbs in the rear tires it rides way better than my 07 ram 2500. Anyone that's rode in my 3500 can't believe how it rides for a 3500 truck. Then I grin and say the rear tires are at 80 lbs. Lol

Mopar born and raised. 93 ram 400k, 07 ram 140k 18 ram 30k. 52 Coronet. Had a 50 Dodge 1/2 ring pickup and a 50 Dodge 1/2 panel truck as well. Lots of experience, and education on ram trucks. Lots of experience with air suspensions on class 8 trucks as well as aftermarket air bags and now ram 3500 air suspension. I also belong to several ram forums. No one there regrets their option. Extremely rare to have an issue on 3500 system. It's well designed, been out since like 2012 and proven. Unlike a class 8 truck, if an air spring fails on the ram, the leaf system takes over. Class 8 would be shoulder bound. But those rarely have issues either. I also belong to TDR for the last 18 years. Those guys love their 3500 air suspensions. Unfortunately I'm super busy anymore that I don't have time to read through the TDR magazine book. I have piles of them unopened. So beyond 2018 I'm not as familiar other than the forums. I'm on the forums dozens of times a day. I attend the Carlisle Chrysler show and camp on grounds for the past 22 years. I know a thing or two about Dodge/Ram trucks. I've driven and worked on GM and Ford trucks, not my thing.

Note, I had lots of issues with the aftermarket air bags on my 07. Leaks, the 600.00 compressor/wireless control craping out. On the 3rd one when I sold it. On the second set of air bags. Rode rougher empty cause you had to run 5 psi in them or they would get damaged. So empty ride was rougher. More air made it worse. Loaded it was ok, but prone to pogo effect on dips. I had so much money in them I kept them on. The guy that owns it now has had issues with leaks and the wireless control. I told him good luck. Lol

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #63

Quote:
/mikayles
Ur mega cab is the same length as a Ram 4 door long bed. That is how u got the mega cab. The bed length went into ur mega cab. There is no such thing as a mega cab long bed.
Correct no factory mega cab long bed. I wish the factory produced a mega cab long bed. I'd of bought it. I can't do a short bed, just can't. I don't understand them.

If you have deep pockets, you can have a mega cab stretched and a long bed put on it. But your warranties are out the window.

Earl
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #64

I did not know that. When I was truck shopping I was told the mega cab was the same frame as the long bed. I assumed that meant the length. So U must have the same frame but a tad smaller body. Interesting’
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 LB, DRW, HO Motor 4:10 Air Suspension
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #65

Earl,
My Mopar tattoo says it all. I am an old guy. Got a pic of Big Daddy Don in his dragster at the Snowbird Nationals behind my GTX getting to run next. Good old days. My 12 sec street car. Had to open the headers and put on the slicks at the track if my
buddies trailer was in use. I loved the old Mopar Direct Connection buy this to run this time at the drag strip. I had all there stuff from the purple cam to the hole shot converter.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #66

Guys..this is right off RAMs website.

Exterior length (") for the Mega cab
Exterior length (")for the Crew cab 8' box
Even the wheelbase is shorter on the Mega.
As I said not by much but keeps the HOA off my but lol.
Pullrite Superglide.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Earl,
My Mopar tattoo says it all. I am an old guy. Got a pic of Big Daddy Don in his dragster at the Snowbird Nationals behind my GTX getting to run next. Good old days. My 12 sec street car. Had to open the headers and put on the slicks at the track if my
buddies trailer was in use. I loved the old Mopar Direct Connection buy this to run this time at the drag strip. I had all there stuff from the purple cam to the hole shot converter.
My buddy has a 4080 building full of mopar muscle cars and parts. He did a A990 clone. 20 year project. Two days after he finished it, he parked it in his car garage and the garage burnt. Destroyed the car. He was able to savage the drive train. But the fresh hemi that he had over 20k in was damaged by the water from the fire dept. So it had to be redone, again.

I use to go to norwalk and columbus nats. Nats went down hill bad. Fortunately the Carlisle show has grown into the largest mopar show.

Earl
Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
Guys..this is right off RAMs website.

Exterior length (") for the Mega cab
Exterior length (")for the Crew cab 8' box
Even the wheelbase is shorter on the Mega.
As I said not by much but keeps the HOA off my but lol.
Yes, the mega cab is a shorty. I won't own one. Love my long beds. Mega is probably more like a older quad cab long bed wheel base. They may have their own wheel base. Never followed them much due to being a short bed.

Earl
Old 11-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #69

Some folks love em..some hate em and for some of us a necessity. I thought they were on the same frames also till a knowledgeable sales guy up at Dave Smith set me straight.
Pullrite Superglide.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #70

thanks! Super helpful.
breckenridge2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #71

thanks for the awesome input! I appreciate it.
breckenridge2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #72

I have heard nothing but good about Dave Smith dealer. But down here in Fl gotta deal with clueless sales people.