Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Newbie questions on 5th wheel hitching

We sold our TT and are going to buy a 5th wheel from a private individual. We've ordered our hitch to match the current undermounts already installed in our 2005 F350 V10. My concerns are with hitching/unhitching and how to adjust the hitch for a level ride.

1. What is the process for hitching and unhtiching the 5th wheel? Don't want to drop it onto the truck?

2. Will we be able to make the necessary adjustments on the hitch for a level ride home. Should I ask the current owner for any pin box measurement so I can make adjustments now? Should I just say forget it and meet at a dealer to do the necessary adjustments?

3. How much clearance is ideal between the truck and trailer?

4. I see products like the Mor Ryde pin box. Is this necessary and how many of you have these type of products?
jcghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #2

We sold our TT and are going to buy a 5th wheel from a private individual. We've ordered our hitch to match the current undermounts already installed in our 2005 F350 V10. My concerns are with hitching/unhitching and how to adjust the hitch for a level ride.

1. What is the process for hitching and unhtiching the 5th wheel? Don't want to drop it onto the truck?

Back onto the pin and let the arm snap shut. Hold the trailer brake and pull into the hitch to make sure it is locked. When unhictching you need about a 1/4 inch of daylight under the hitch platform.

2. Will we be able to make the necessary adjustments on the hitch for a level ride home. Should I ask the current owner for any pin box measurement so I can make adjustments now? Should I just say forget it and meet at a dealer to do the necessary adjustments? Hook it up and see how it rides. It may be ok as is.

3. How much clearance is ideal between the truck and trailer? You need 5 to 6 inches clearance.

4. I see products like the Mor Ryde pin box. Is this necessary and how many of you have these type of products?[/QUOTE]
I can't answer that because I had a Husky hitch for our 5er.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcghill View Post

Once you learn how, definitely have a routine to hook-up! We didn't back in 1995. We usually hooked up together but one day Don had to work late and I was in a hurry to get outta town, so I hooked the 5'er up to the truck by myself. I thought I did everything, but low and behold I pulled foreward and the 5'er dropped on the lip of the truck bed :lightning: I was mortified! $800 later the truck looked like new again though *ouch*

Lesson learned! We used a checklist until we got the routine down for whatever we pulled. Now, whether Don or I hitch as a team or alone, we always use a count method (works for us anyhow). We have to count 8 items using pairs. We then either double check the other, or double check ourselves prior to drive off.......(mind you we have a tt now but the below is just to give you an idea). ie:
1,2. locking hitch pins secured to hitch and tongue
3,4. both chains secured to truck
5,6. breakaway cable secured and electric connector plugged in
7,8. both wdh bars secured with pins/etc

Of course, depending on the type of 5'er hitch you get, you will develop your own routine. Happy hitching and enjoy the new 5'er!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #4

AMEN to that. A checklist is a definite must for hoking up and unhooking. Wheel chocks, stabilizing jacks, draining water heater etc. One mistake and it can ruin your whole day or worse, your whole trip. Good Luck.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Sorry Meant to add this.... good reference.... HERE
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #6

Chock first before unhooking and unchock last after hooking. Just trust me on this one. Mor Ryde pin boxes are awesome and I highly recommend one! Also a Curt Q5 hitch is good stuff! Both the Mor Ryde pin box and Curt hitch have rubber in the mount which greatly reduces the bucking while towing.
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcghill View Post

I see products like the Mor Ryde pin box. Is this necessary and how many of you have these type of products?
As far as leveling goes I use air bags on my F250 to keep the truck level while towing because of the weight of my Designer 31RLTS. I love the Mor Ryde Pin Box. It helps on rough roads and gives a smoother ride. Stops a lot of jerking.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote