Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #1

Norcold N8XR not cooling

2018 Eagle HT 29.5 bhds

Norcold N8XR

On Auto mode. Units green light is on, see a flame but unit will not cool. pulled the thermistor and ran it for 24 hours and unit still not cooling. Any suggestions?
rv4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:30 PM   #2

Same exact thing happened to my 2019 8X. No codes or nothing. It started it's no cool slowdown over a couple months. In the end it wouldn't even begin to cool down.
After talking with a couple ex techs on other forums it was determined that the cooling pipes weren't functioning for whatever reason.
Fridge was never ran out of level so I came to the conclusion that it was a POC and took it out and replaced it with a 12V fridge. Sad thing is the Norcold was only 1.5 years old. Out of warranty by 6 months and had roughly 70 days/nights of use.
Previous Norcold was 6 years old and ran great.
I wasn't about to start dropping $250 here and there trouble shooting problems as a couple trial and error attempts would be 1/2 the cost of a 12V fridge.
I had 120V going in and it was also heating up on propane.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #3

Don't know anything about the history of your Norcold, but they will stop cooling if operated off-level. Light will still be green. Some units are very sensitive to level. The factory says +/- 3 degrees, but my unit had to be within 1 degree to operate consistently. You can try turning the unit off and then taking it for a drive. Try to hit some uphill and downhill stretches. Come back to camp and ensure level, let it set for a few hours, then turn back on.

The theory is that a bubble has formed in the cooling unit, which blocks the natural flow of coolant. By tilting the unit back an forth, you effectively do a "burp in place" maneuver. This has worked for me several times.

watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:37 PM   #4

check to see if your cooling fins (inside fridge) are freezing over. You'll see ice build up if they are.. If you are in a humid area, this is pretty common and there are fan kits available to help stop that. I have the 4 door Norcold and had that issue in Sacramento, installed thee fan kit and problem went away.
https://www.arprv.com/norcold-fan.php
https://thenorcoldguy.com/fans-internal-and-external/https://www.amazon.com/NORCOLD-INC-6.../dp/B008KWMGAM
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote