Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #1

Norcold refrigerator 2118x not cooling

We have a 2020 Jayco 377RLBH Northpoint 5th wheel that we recently purchased with the refrigerator under warranty. It has a Norcold 2118X refrigerator that is not cooling properly. The temp in the refrigerator walks up with the outside temperature to around 60 degrees. We are in Michigan so the outside temp is not very hot. The dealer tried several fixes, eventually replacing it with a new one, same model. The new one does not cool well on propane or electric, with the freezer varying from 30-45 degrees and the refrigerator varying from 55-75 degrees on the highest cooling setting which is 9. There is no code thrown on either refrigerator. The dealer has been great but he is at his wits end with what's next. He mentioned that the old refrigerator was cooling fine at the shop??? What would that possibly indicate? Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #2

A major problem may be the place and installation in your RV.

In mine the top baffle that directs air out the top vent was un-insulated and had big voids on the side. So instead of helping air move out it actually let a lot of the hot air into the un-insulated void over the top of the fridge. The sides of the area near the vent stack were also un-insulated wasting the heat into the cabinets. Both of these cut the flow of air over the coils and reduced the efficiency. Overall there was just not enough air flow to cool the pipes in back so I installed two 12 volt computer fans in the top to pull more air through, insulated the baffle and side wall and sealed the holes in the baffle.

Now it cools like a champ in very hot weather instead of spoiling my food.

As a bonus my cabinets are no longer toasty hot when the fridge is running.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #3

Not cool...

Wow, those temps are not good.
Same Fridge in our 5er.
Mine wouldn't go below mid 40's on high, 2 things that helped ours were-
#1, Door fits were bad. Warranty issue, temps mid 40's, Dealer totally missed that one, said operating normally........
Check it, open both fridge doors leave right one open, open and close left door and verify the center flap does not drag on the top or bottom of the cabinet and operates correctly. Make sure all seals are not gapped and tight, any air leak and cooling will suffer. A dollar bill should have drag when shut in a seal.

Mounted in a slide makes it hard to get good air circulation behind.
Assuming dealer checked for a proper install. I don't have much faith in my dealer, hopefully yours is better.
#2, I added a 120mm fan in top exterior vent to exhaust heat.
Now, it runs on 3 with temps in the mid 30's depending on outside temp.
I also insulated as RogeR due to interior cabinets being 120 degrees, factory puts none in wall behind fridge.

Hopefully this helps, keep cool!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210723_091045847_HDR.jpg  
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookwhisperer View Post
We have a 2020 Jayco 377RLBH Northpoint 5th wheel that we recently purchased with the refrigerator under warranty. It has a Norcold 2118X refrigerator that is not cooling properly. The temp in the refrigerator walks up with the outside temperature to around 60 degrees. We are in Michigan so the outside temp is not very hot. The dealer tried several fixes, eventually replacing it with a new one, same model. The new one does not cool well on propane or electric, with the freezer varying from 30-45 degrees and the refrigerator varying from 55-75 degrees on the highest cooling setting which is 9. There is no code thrown on either refrigerator. The dealer has been great but he is at his wits end with what's next. He mentioned that the old refrigerator was cooling fine at the shop??? What would that possibly indicate? Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
If the old one cools fine at the shop out of your camper, more than likely it wasn’t getting proper cooling mounted in your coach as has been mentioned. Lots of issues with proper installation and cooling with these fridges.
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the great information. We removed the rear vent covers on a windy day and temps dropped like a rock! I think we're on the right track.

Next move is installing a fan, finding a power supply for it.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookwhisperer View Post
Thanks for the great information. We removed the rear vent covers on a windy day and temps dropped like a rock! I think we're on the right track.

Next move is installing a fan, finding a power supply for it.
I would like to see a picture of your outside vent covers?
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:48 AM   #7

Fan and power supply

I used this fan with blue LED's, a black unlit one is $7.99-

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-1...10&sr=8-5&th=1

Rated to move 40 cubic ft / min, plenty to get excess heat out. Quiet, you will not hear it over the original small fans. Low amp draw, .3Amp.

As far as power, I unhooked the upper right of the 3 existing fans in the rear and used it's wires to connect to the 120mm fan's supplied pigtail. Doing this will allow the fan to cycle on and off with other fans.

BUT doing so "may" void your warranty. If that is a concern for you, you may want to run a separate 12v wire /fuse /switch to power it.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
A major problem may be the place and installation in your RV.

In mine the top baffle that directs air out the top vent was un-insulated and had big voids on the side. So instead of helping air move out it actually let a lot of the hot air into the un-insulated void over the top of the fridge. The sides of the area near the vent stack were also un-insulated wasting the heat into the cabinets. Both of these cut the flow of air over the coils and reduced the efficiency. Overall there was just not enough air flow to cool the pipes in back so I installed two 12 volt computer fans in the top to pull more air through, insulated the baffle and side wall and sealed the holes in the baffle.

Now it cools like a champ in very hot weather instead of spoiling my food.

As a bonus my cabinets are no longer toasty hot when the fridge is running.
Already using computer fans to increase airflow. The DO make a difference!!

How/what did you use to insulation mods? I'm guessing fiberglass can be used up top, but wondering what/how for the vent stack.

Thanks.
FireguyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #9

Just like ARoamers.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #10

Not too hijack the thread, but because this is on topic for the most part. My Norcold has never had an issue keeping the proper temps even on the hottest of days. With that in mind, would there be any advantage to add a cooling fan(s) behind the fridge? I have plenty of fans so there isn't any cost for me to do so, but I am not sure why I would want to add a fan, perhaps if doing so offered a longer life for the fridge... Any thoughts? Thanks, CA