Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #1

Norcold to Dometic 12 volt

Just curious if anyone has done this and if so what are your thoughts? I currently have a Norcold unit in my jayco eagle 2011 fifth wheel but am not happy with the temps. It swings from 30's to 50's and i keep it pretty full as i am retiring and living full time in it. I'm new to rv ownership so sure would be interested in all and any advice that can help. Thanks and I am finding the information on this site to be extremely helpful. Cheers Dave
Camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of info on this fourm but what I did to make it a little better is I added a fan inside the fridge and also I hookup on the outside behind the fridge four pc fans. Two below and two more fan up top behind the vent cover, I don't believe I have any pics on my laptop to show but other on this forum have pics to show how they did it, it only just make it a little better I was telling my wife that theirs not a lot you can do with these fridges.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #3

thanks...i've seen a few of those post regarding the fans and think i will try hooking up one on the inside first and see how that goes.
Camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:43 PM   #4

Okay I did it, I bought one off of Amazon and along with the fans I install on the outside it help but it's not prefect it's about the only thing you can do with these Dometic fridge.

These are not all of the pics that I have but it's what I have on my laptop, as you can see on the terminal there is a - and a + I ran the wire together from each fans down to the bottom to the terminal and I added a switch to turn all of the fans on.

That board that you see up top I remove that.

This is the fan I went with for the inside. https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-RV-Ref...s%2C189&sr=8-4
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3861.JPG   DSCN3868.JPG  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo View Post
Just curious if anyone has done this and if so what are your thoughts? I currently have a Norcold unit in my jayco eagle 2011 fifth wheel but am not happy with the temps. It swings from 30's to 50's and i keep it pretty full as i am retiring and living full time in it. I'm new to rv ownership so sure would be interested in all and any advice that can help. Thanks and I am finding the information on this site to be extremely helpful. Cheers Dave
My Norcold 1210 in my 2014 Seneca was working less and less well every season. So last year I took the plunge and had the J.C. Refrigeration compressor conversion performed on my unit. They offer both a 120-volt AC and a 12-volt DC conversion. You keep the Norcold box and controls but the cooling unit uses a conventional refrigeration cycle to cool the unit.

Now my unit maintains proper cooling in 90+ temps. Even with the refrigerator side in full summer sun.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/
Attached Thumbnails
20210601_080250.jpg   20210612_175003.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My Norcold 1210 in my 2014 Seneca was working less and less well every season. So last year I took the plunge and had the J.C. Refrigeration compressor conversion performed on my unit. They offer both a 120-volt AC and a 12-volt DC conversion. You keep the Norcold box and controls but the cooling unit uses a conventional refrigeration cycle to cool the unit.

Now my unit maintains proper cooling in 90+ temps. Even with the refrigerator side in full summer sun.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/
Hi Rob,

Do you have the 120v AC or the 12v DC? I've noticed ours doesn't seem to cool as well as it used to. We are planning a 3 month trip to Alaska in the summer of '24 and I'm going to convert before we go.

Thanks...Dave
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Hi Rob,

Do you have the 120v AC or the 12v DC? I've noticed ours doesn't seem to cool as well as it used to. We are planning a 3 month trip to Alaska in the summer of '24 and I'm going to convert before we go.

Thanks...Dave
I went with the 12-volt compressor, my thoughts were that an inverter failure would not cause downtime if we were camping without electricity. But I did have to run new, larger (10-gauge) power and ground wires to the refrigerator compartment since the Jayco wires were only sized to run the original Norcold electronics and not a compressor.

I also had JC Refrigeration install 600 watts of solar on my roof, but I took care of the wiring and all the hardware needed. And earlier this year I replaced my 6-volt lead/acid batteries and now have 600 amp/hours of LiFePO4 batteries installed in an enclosed compartment above my frame rails. So far it works fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails
20220318_181148.jpg   20210601_080250.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote