Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #1

North point 315 heat

When we try and use the electric heat, the unit blows cold air from the ceiling vents after the heater cycles off. The gas furnace works fine. Any help would be appreciated. It's not that cold and prefer to use the electric heat.
43acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

I haven’t used mine yet but i think it is like the gas furnace. The fan runs to cool off the heating element.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

That is interesting as I am pretty sure our 2018 315 doesn't have electric heat. Is this the living room AC or the bedroom? Our bedroom thermostat does not have a heat setting and our living room turns on the furnace when set to heat.

Dave
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

our living room has a heat pump. check the invoice.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

What's the outside temp? Usually only works up to about 40 degrees outside and cool air will come out. Least that's how mine works.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
PMC

They don't work well when it gets real cold out, you'll end up with your compressor icing up. We use our heat pump down to about 45 then switch over to the furnace when it's colder than that.

It's really great for those cool mornings when you just want to take the chill out of the air. Not so great for trying to heat the whole coach when it's close to freezing.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #7

As PMC said the compressor will shut off around 40 degrees with a RV heat pump, however the fan does not. Whereas a residential heat pump usually operates down to about 25 to 30 and then it automatically switches to either electric or gas. RV units do not have an auto defrost for the outside coils that a residential unit also has.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

We have used the heat pump several mornings and found it blows cold air until the unit heats up. Then not too warm air comes out. Yesterday, it was 48 outside and 59 inside, parked in the backyard. When I turned on the thermostat, set it to electric, and a temp of 65 both the furnace and the heat pump came on. We shut off the heat pump until the fiver warmed up then switched off the furnace and ran the heat pump. Some time during the night the heat pump turned off and the furnace ran. Haven't figured that out yet.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Some time during the night the heat pump turned off and the furnace ran. Haven't figured that out yet.
The gas furnace will come on if set to heat pump and the temp differential (thermostat setting and room temp) is greater than 5 degrees.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We have used the heat pump several mornings and found it blows cold air until the unit heats up. Then not too warm air comes out. Yesterday, it was 48 outside and 59 inside, parked in the backyard. When I turned on the thermostat, set it to electric, and a temp of 65 both the furnace and the heat pump came on. We shut off the heat pump until the fiver warmed up then switched off the furnace and ran the heat pump. Some time during the night the heat pump turned off and the furnace ran. Haven't figured that out yet.
I discovered basically the same thing. We forgot to turn the heat on when going to bed and we woke up to an interior temp of 58. I chose electric heat only but both the electric and gas furnace came on. Once the temp got up to about 65, the gas furnace went off and just the electric furnace would run. I like that concept. It automatically chooses both modes so the temp will rise in a shorter period of time.........would have never thought that the manufacturers were that smart
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #11

The rv manufacturers aren't. Some of the HVAC guys are, like Atwood. I and the tech's that have been working on our 315 were surprised we could run the t.v. radio, and fireplace with only the t.v. remote. Just wish this Thing would quit breaking.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #12

My 315 has the heat pump option for the living room A/C. I also have a remote temperature sensor that I put in the duct work.
I went out and looked at it today. The temperature was 69 degrees in the camper. I set the temperature to 70 degrees and turned on electric heat.
Heat pump and fan came on. The temperature came up to 100 degrees within a few minutes. When the thermostat got to 71 degrees heat pump and fan cut off. No cool air after shutdown. Hope that helps you a little.

Heat pump works good as long as the outside temperature is in the mid to upper 40's. When it gets below that I just use the gas setting. I also use the electric fireplace when cold.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As PMC said the compressor will shut off around 40 degrees with a RV heat pump, however the fan does not. Whereas a residential heat pump usually operates down to about 25 to 30 and then it automatically switches to either electric or gas. RV units do not have an auto defrost for the outside coils that a residential unit also has.
Grumpy, would you mind explaining this so a 3 year old can understand? LOL! Outside temp in upper 40's, inside around 60. I set thermostat to elec heat to conserve LP but furnace kicks on. Does this occur automatically? I was thinking something wrong with thermostat!
MDC's First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC's First View Post
Grumpy, would you mind explaining this so a 3 year old can understand? LOL! Outside temp in upper 40's, inside around 60. I set thermostat to elec heat to conserve LP but furnace kicks on. Does this occur automatically? I was thinking something wrong with thermostat!
This is what my AC/Heat Pump does............if the temperature is too low inside the coach for just the Heat Pump to bring the temp up then BOTH the LP furnace AND the heat pump will come on........EVEN if you selected Heat/Electric. Once the temp comes up to what the thermostat is set, then only the Heat Pump will run. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but mine will due it all the time if you have a big swing between the actual inside temp and what you set the thermostat at.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
This is what my AC/Heat Pump does............if the temperature is too low inside the coach for just the Heat Pump to bring the temp up then BOTH the LP furnace AND the heat pump will come on........EVEN if you selected Heat/Electric. Once the temp comes up to what the thermostat is set, then only the Heat Pump will run. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but mine will due it all the time if you have a big swing between the actual inside temp and what you set the thermostat at.
Thank you! I feel comfortable knowing this occurs automatically and nothing is "wrong" with my thermostat!
MDC's First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC's First View Post
Thank you! I feel comfortable knowing this occurs automatically and nothing is "wrong" with my thermostat!
It's all a huge learning experience
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 11-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #17

When I first start up and the temperature is a little cool I just set thermostat a couple of degrees above inside temperature and move it up a little bit at a time. As long as the outside temperature is above 40 the heat pump keeps 70-72 inside without a problem.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote