Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I wish I would have taken the old brakes the dealer replaced.

Klassic it’s all that ‘STUFF’ you haul around...

🤒
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #122

Quote:
There is no chance my brakes can stop me dead. They have been completely replaced once and the back axel twice.
Klassic are you positive they actually replaced the brakes or did they just tell you they did??
Old 10-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Klassic are you positive they actually replaced the brakes or did they just tell you they did??
I went back and saw them. I wanted to see the grease.
The mechanic gave me attitude that I overheated them.
Fell on deaf ears when I said I never had brakes when I made my first stop at the end of the dealers lot.

Now it takes 20 mins of driving and I can turn my controller down to 8.
If I start cold, I can easily drive full controller pulling the trigger.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #124

Quote:
I went back and saw them. I wanted to see the grease.
The mechanic gave me attitude that I overheated them.
Fell on deaf ears when I said I never had brakes when I made my first stop at the end of the dealers lot.

Now it takes 20 mins of driving and I can turn my controller down to 8.
If I start cold, I can easily drive full controller pulling the trigger.

Yeah for sure something is not right.......
You, me & Dan are going to have to do what Tom did. So we can STOP.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #125

Took the trailer out to homecoming weekend which was about 70 miles away. Brakes are awesome! I’ve got the controller set to 6.5. Stopping is smooth and easy. The brakes can stop the rig going 60 (i was exiting the highway and used the controller) I can definitely say it is well worth the time/money/effort to do.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #126

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Yep, you’re gonna love ‘em Tom. Glad you made the journey of installing them. So many things you’ve done to that rig, and made so many improvements. Enjoy it now with the family!
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #127

Tom,
How are your disc brakes performing?

I'm currently working on my conversion. Had a couple days of rain delay and such. Going to rip back into it today after work. Trip on labor day weekend, so not much time left. May have to roll on the worthless drum brakes depending on my progress.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Tom,
How are your disc brakes performing?

I'm currently working on my conversion. Had a couple days of rain delay and such. Going to rip back into it today after work. Trip on labor day weekend, so not much time left. May have to roll on the worthless drum brakes depending on my progress.

Earl

Earl

My brakes are awesome! No more worries about sudden stops, no more braking 1/2 mile early, no worries about truck brakes. By far, the best modification that can be done to one of these big trailers.

My only complaint, which is minor, is the short lag time between depressing the pedal and feeling the trailer brakes engage. It’s probably 1/2 a second. It was weird at first but you get used to it. If you’re in stop and go and have your foot on the brake a lot, then there’s no real lag at all. Even with the lag, which you can reduce with larger or shorter brake lines, the braking performance is ten times better than the drums. I can actually lock up the brakes on the trailer and leave skid marks.

Your install is looking great. Looks like your doing a first class job. Good luck

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Earl

My brakes are awesome! No more worries about sudden stops, no more braking 1/2 mile early, no worries about truck brakes. By far, the best modification that can be done to one of these big trailers.

My only complaint, which is minor, is the short lag time between depressing the pedal and feeling the trailer brakes engage. It’s probably 1/2 a second. It was weird at first but you get used to it. If you’re in stop and go and have your foot on the brake a lot, then there’s no real lag at all. Even with the lag, which you can reduce with larger or shorter brake lines, the braking performance is ten times better than the drums. I can actually lock up the brakes on the trailer and leave skid marks.

Your install is looking great. Looks like your doing a first class job. Good luck
Thanks for the update! Yeah, unfortunately any EOH system will have a delay. No looking forward to that, but everyone says you get use to it. I've kept my tubing runs as short as I could with as little fittings as possible. I tried to avoid bends best I could. Also 1/4" sizing throughout to the brake hoses. A true 1/4 fitting on the actuator as well. Even went as far to get custom made SS braided hoses that won't swell under pressure to gain some faster pressure build up. All to lessen the delay.

The Hydrastar claims to be the fastest acting actuator on the market. Also the fastest pressure ramping. Not sure if that holds true or not. But is one of the main reasons I bought that brand. Also it's US made and sold in the US and a major seller in Australia. The other two are probably China made. I couldn't find any info on the other two for country of origin.

I do have a trick up my sleeve to try on the delay. Once I get a feel for the system I plan to install a 2 psi residual valve on the actuator. That will maintain 2 psi in the brake system vs atmospheric pressure. I feel it would help, but wouldn't eliminate the delay. My concern would be how much restriction would the residual valve have if any. It could actually cause more delay if it's restrictive enough.

Thanks for the compliment! I tend to over do everything I do. Especially on critical systems. My fear is road debris picked up by the tires knocking out a brake hose or line and then complete system failure. There isn't a secondary circuit to provide braking like on vehicles. So I'm trying to keep my lines protected as much as I can while avoiding the underbelly or access to it. I tell you, it's not easy making the runs on a chassis that wasn't built to accept hydraulic brake lines. Lol if I still ran china bomb tires, I'd probably have heavy metal guards welded on the frame for the blow outs.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #130

Just curious now as our trailer has been siting still for 174 days since 11/4, my Kodiak disc brake rotors RAW version(vs Ecoat and Dacromet) have ugly rust built-up on and looks pitted. I’m told not to worry, but anyone else’s look this bad? I didn’t put my tire covers on til after 3-4 months. Oops.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6915.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	58138
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 04-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Just curious now as our trailer has been siting still for 174 days since 11/4, my Kodiak disc brake rotors RAW version(vs Ecoat and Dacromet) have ugly rust built-up on and looks pitted. I’m told not to worry, but anyone else’s look this bad? I didn’t put my tire covers on til after 3-4 months. Oops.
Attachment 58138
I would think that they will smooth out rather quickly.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #132

Hoping yeah, me too. We were scheduled to park host at our favorite park, Davis Mtns State Park May 1-31, but that is on hold. Waiting on what topic gov Abbott’s announcement this afternoon.