Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #1

North Point 383FKWS - 3rd AC a must

Ok, read up a lot on AC problems and work arounds/fixes...but to no avail... our last two trips out were hot, up in the 98 deg range - 2019 NP 383 FKWS w/ 2 ACs couldn't keep up - no matter what we did, parked under trees (as much could), all shades down, vents covered, vents opened, cleaned the filters, checked the AC in Bedroom's internal sealing and tape, added more tape (actually the AC internals looked really good, not much needed), checked the other AC that is not accessible from inside that feeds the ducting for the mid living area and the front kitchen, all clean, no damage to fins, added small piece of tape to gap in the return area, checked the return air vents, nothing significant there.... mid coach and kitchen no real difference hovers around 90-92...we had to run two floor fans to circulate the air ... unbearable in the kitchen area, somewhat unbearable in the living area, so we hung out in the bed room early evening...looking to get the 3rd AC added soon, hopefully....if can ever get the dealer to call me back or take my service request call..... argh... but everything else is great with the 383 we have...just have to figure out the cooling part.... not sure how JAYCO does their temp tests, but obviously doesn't do it with the 383 FKWS...or I don't see how it passes w/ just two ACs.....
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

We have the same trailer just a year newer and setup and ours holds temp really well. No fans needed. I did do the mod on half the vents where you take the plastic vent off and tape up the void that let's air between the roof and ceiling. Remember even if you have the 3rd AC they generally will cycle and only run 2 at a time so it doesn't help a whole lot from.experience with my previous rigs.

We actually have friends that come in to our camper and are amazed how cool ours feels vs theirs. I am completely exposed to the sun as well. No trees or shade.

I should add one thing that might be helping us is the dual pane windows we have. Generally people debate if they are worth it and I think they are.
Cdensomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #3

Not sure where you're located, but humidity is more of an enemy than temperature. As Cdensomnia said you can still only run 2 at a time without a Power Management System.

When we had our 38FLSA the two units worked well for us, but we had the dual pane windows as mentioned. As to the testing JAYCO has it done by an independent company, it's not done in-house. Have you checked the temp of the air coming out of vent closest to the air-conditioner. It should be 15-20 degrees lower than the room temp.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #4

Copy to both of you and appreciate the replies...
I looked at the vents in the kitchen (there are only two) and didn't see
any leakage to tape up as the plastic cylinder attached to our vents goes all the way to the duct shaft, the air comes out strong and cool but just too hot in kitchen for it to cool down from 98 degrees according to my external temp sensor got to around 92...humidity was a little high, around 62%...so will try dehumidifier add as well...will keep trying to see where there may be leaks, etc in the one sealed AC unit up front...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

We went over to eastern Washington where it was 97 degree ours was cool pretty good, I'm not sure why but it was good.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #6

I've had no issues cooling mine with 2 in the same conditions.

Humidity at 62% shouldn't be problematic. Adding a dehumidifier will also add heat.

I did modify ALL of my vents by removing the black rings and taping the duct work to the ceiling using foil tape. This made a big difference. The black rings can restrict a lot of air flow by blocking flow INSIDE the ductwork.

I also shut off the dump vents on the second A/C (bedroom) which divert all air flow to the ductwork for distribution. This really improves air flow throughout the whole coach. I would imagine the 2019 has the same feature. I have to nearly shut the bedroom vents off all the way, and set the thermostat lower in there to keep the second A/C running to assist the main A/C. Works pretty good this way.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

Update to this: Dealer finally worked me in after five months...confirmed
that the front A/C was bad, JAYCO authorized replacement/fix..now waiting
on A/C to come in so dealer can install...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
Old 09-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #8

383fkws

Good news that you found the problem. We just spent the month of August in Texas and we are glad we had the three A/C units! With that being said, with the large front window, the kitchen on our units will be hotter than anywhere is in the trailer. Happy Camping!!
rickalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:59 AM   #9

Curious, why do you say only 2 a/c will run at a time? All three of mine run at the same time until it’s cool.
CleaverF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

CleaverF22, What RIG do you have and do your A/Cs have the soft start system installed?
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
Old 09-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #11

I have a 2021 377 NP. It doesn’t have soft start. I do have a Bluetooth surge protector/monitor that monitors each line of the 50A power. Each a/c pulls about 12-15A. On a/c is on one line and the other two are on the other. That leave plenty of current left on either line (both are 50A/120V). Make sense?
CleaverF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #12

Copy, makes sense and I think ours is wired the same for third on separate leg or 2 on on leg and one on the other.... good idea with the Bluetooth monitor for the power, I need to get one of those for our 383FKWS.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)