Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #1
jsk

North Point Comments

For about a year we have been looking at different floor plans. Recently I walked in to a North Point 387 rdfs and really liked it. I am not very familiar with Jayco but feel they seem to last and are quality units. What are the opinions of your unit, specifically the North Point? Does the build seem solid? Does it seem well insulated and maintain consistent temp throughout? Does the 'pleather' couch material resist stain? Being a new build is it plagued with problems as a lot of first time items are? Personally I think it is built very well. Please provide some real life weights if you have any.

Thanks for the replies.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
jsk

Nobody has any comments about their North Point? Good, bad, would you do it again? I understand they have not been out very long.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #3

I will be honest. We have a 2016 377 north point. This is my 13 rv and never have we had this many problems. The quality and careful eye on details just isn't there. They have used cheaper parts (awnings, slideouts, insulation, frame, brakes, etc.) then in previous model years. Now we love the floorplan, but the rig is 11 months old and we have had brakes, lead springs, tires, outriggers, awnings, and CD stereo replaced. Imagine the time and headaches. Right now are slide out is stuck half way out due to a Schwintek problem. I will say ours was built in the first 3 months of production, so the newer ones may be a bit better. Just beware it is not what we have become accustomed to from Jayco. We love the rig, just being honest about the quality.
jandjtrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #4
jsk

Thanks. This is what I am looking for. Hopefully others will chime in as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #5

We have a 375 BHFS North Point and I have nothing but good things to day about it. We have had it out 4 times now and absolutely love it with no issues. It even pulls like a charm with the MorRyde suspension and pin box. I was a bit apprehensive about buying a FW that was so long, but other than not being able to book some sites, I can't say it bothers me one bit. I would buy it again given the opportunity. Big fan of the auto level as well. If given the choice of getting the extra AC definitely do it. I could not imagine trying to cool with only one. We have two and it takes a little while to cool down, but once it does, it keeps pretty cool. I have read some horror stories about other folks experience, but I feel that we only hear about the bad times and not enough about the good times.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

back to : toss your 60k in the air and hope for the best...

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

I'll have comments when I get back from Top Sail SP. This will be our 5th trip and longest (11) days. We will be home on Thursday night, so I'll have time to type some more comments. But, so far we love ours. Sure, we've had some problems, but nothing that I would consider major.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I'll have comments when I get back from Top Sail SP. This will be our 5th trip and longest (11) days. We will be home on Thursday night, so I'll have time to type some more comments. But, so far we love ours. Sure, we've had some problems, but nothing that I would consider major.
Thanks. I will be looking for your comments. Cosmetic stuff not a worry.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

We have been very fortunate that ours hasn't had any real problems at all. Ours was built in January of 2016 and it must have been on a Tuesday in the morning [emoji3].

We love it. Sure, there's the occasional screw that comes loose or a door latch that can be adjusted, but that's about it. The faux leather seems to be holding up just fine with 3 kids and a small dog constantly playing on it. Yes, we would do it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trightmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #10

Our 377 is a very well built camper and has many features that you only find in much higher end models. I have had issues but they are minor and Jayco has the 2 year warranty!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #11

We purchased a 377 back in Feb and did get a chance to use it until late May. While waiting to get out and use it we spent hours on here reading a lot of posts. After about a month of reading I looked at my wife and said I hope we did not make the wrong choice based on all the problems I have been reading.

After 6 trips to date we have not had one problem (well the frig was dented from the factory and they fixed with new door) everything has worked great. Like one of the other posts said a latch need to be oiled, some molding need to be re-installed but NOT one major problem knocked on wood. Even the auto-level has worked every-time.

This is our 4th RV and second Jayco and we would buy our 377 all over again. We love the floor plan.

We feel for the people out there that have had problems and hope they get them worked out and do not give up on the Jayco brand.

We have owned Jayco, Forest River and Heatland and we feel the Jayco gives you good value for your dollar but I am sure that will change since they have been sold. When ever a company is sold the buyer cuts costs to get their money back.

Good luck on what ever unit you purchase.

2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
2012 Ford F350 CC Lariat with F/X Pkg. 6.7, 11500 GVWR & Pullrite Autoslide
EGR & DEF Delete and 5" Exhaust
Blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #12

I have an early build 2016 and I have the bent floor supports and the feeble extremely noisey awnings.
Other then that it's great..
I personally think the Schwintec problems most are experiencing (not me) are from the frame flexing with the 10" frame.
I have no trouble with the Ground Control, but I don't think it's a very good system.
I bet it disappears soon.

If you're eying up 2017 models then you get a 12" frame...updated floor supports and a different awning.
I even read there is venting for the residential fridge on 2017's. I think my fridge trouble is from heat build up. So perhaps Jayco has addressed a lot of the major issues with the rig.
Still, like pointed out above, you're throwing your money up in the air when you buy an RV.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #13

That's good to hear that some issues were ironed out with the 17s Klassic, as I have one on order. This is my first venture outside the General Coach/ Citation lineup, and I'm a bit apprehensive. Unfortunately, I can't get what I know for a fact works, so I have to sail into uncharted waters to find a new port, so here's to hoping I, and many others, have good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I have an early build 2016 and I have the bent floor supports and the feeble extremely noisey awnings.
Other then that it's great..
I personally think the Schwintec problems most are experiencing (not me) are from the frame flexing with the 10" frame.
I have no trouble with the Ground Control, but I don't think it's a very good system.
I bet it disappears soon.

If you're eying up 2017 models then you get a 12" frame...updated floor supports and a different awning.
I even read there is venting for the residential fridge on 2017's. I think my fridge trouble is from heat build up. So perhaps Jayco has addressed a lot of the major issues with the rig.
Still, like pointed out above, you're throwing your money up in the air when you buy an RV.
RockSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk View Post
Thanks. I will be looking for your comments. Cosmetic stuff not a worry.
So here are my thoughts after out last trip...We love the Jayco product and name! However, like many other hobbies, they cost money and give you headaches! We've had more problems with the 377 than we did with our Jayflight Swift 28BHBE, but there is a lot more to go wrong with a "higher end" unit, in my opinion. Besides, I like to tinker with things.

Every trip we've taken this year has resulted in some hiccup. So hopefully we will have all the kinks worked out after this last trip and won't have anymore issues.

The family had a great time at Top Sail SP. We ended up leaving a day early, mainly because of the weather, but partly due to the gray tank for the kitchen springing a leak and pouring out through the underbelly. I've been aware of the issues that folks have been having with the kitchen slide with the residential fridge and noticed that the support directly under the refrigerator was just beginning to bend/twist...so good news (I think) is that I caught it early. Also, the kitchen slide motors were struggling to bring that slide in and would stop (this trip was the 1st time this happened). So I would have to keep re-hitting the button to bring the slide in fully. Today in front of the house after unloading, I had to help the kitchen slid by physically pushing, so it will probably need the more powerful 500:1 motors.

Other than that we've just had several problems, but nothing that has turned us off to Jayco and RVing! I think the biggest concern comes down to the dealer that you purchase from and how good of a job they do with the unit prior to you doing the PDI. Our dealership did NOT do a good job, nor would I recommend them!

Full disclosure...the issues that we had were the slide motor on the bunk room died, the bottom stair caved in on me (that never should've happened...I'm only 215 lbs), USB ports did not work (should have been caught and repaired by the dealership before our PDI), inverter was wired backwards, the gray tank valves leaked, residential freezer door was dented....(there were more minor things, some of which I fixed myself, others I had the dealer do, as it was already their). For the most part, most issues were minor and my family LOVES this RV.

Please don't take this as a negative post...I just wanted you to know fully what you are getting into. Besides, we have a 1st year manufactured model and I think that Jayco was fixed the majority of the problems with the newer '17's. A friend of ours has the almost exact floorpan as the 377 from another manufacturer and has only been able to camp twice, as his unit has been at the dealership for major repairs!!

If I had it to do all over again...I would do the same exact thing or "maybe" I'd wait to purchase the '17 after all the bugs had been worked out!

Happy camping!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
jsk

Thanks for the replies. These are the types of responses I was looking for. Nothing scares me to bad except the side supports. Brochure said they went to 12" beams for 2017. We are in no hurry but will continue to keep Jayco at the top of the list.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #16

I have the 2017 377 RLBH model and this is only my 2nd RV. I'm impressed with the quality of my previous Flagstaff 831 since I have purchased this Jayco North Point. I have only pulled it about 20 miles and set it up on a monthly spot so far. We have been checking things out since we got it. Things seem fine so far. Only disappointed in the overhead cabinets that open straight up not having any kind of support to keep them open . The doors should have been hinged on the sides. I don't understand the thinking here. The bathroom fan controls cannot be reached by somebody that is around 5' 9" or less. Should have come with a remote control fan.
The floor creaks in a couple places. Walls seem very solid. The living/dining slide floor seems very thin when walking and stepping on it. I don't understand why the kitchen slide has a 2" gap from the floor to the bottom of the slide. The only seal here is a rubber flap on the outside. Do these slides perform better than the normal type on the living/dining side?? Why have different types of slides?? We love the floor plan and it keeps pretty cool in the extreme high humidity heat. Air conditioners are gapped back but it's staying from 76 to 80 inside living area.

P.S. I don't notice any better ventilation for the residential fridge on my 2017 model either. Been worried about how boxed in it is. Want to cut out some of the board that is above the fridge to let the hot air out better but haven't done it yet.

2017 Jayco North Point 377 RLBH
2016 Ford F350 Platinum White DRW
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar View Post
P.S. I don't notice any better ventilation for the residential fridge on my 2017 model either. Been worried about how boxed in it is. Want to cut out some of the board that is above the fridge to let the hot air out better but haven't done it yet.
Thanks for confirming that NitroStar. I was hoping someone with a '17 would say something.

I called Fridgidaire and they said the fridge is fine being crammed in a tight space. The fan inside will run longer when the space is hot. (Sun beating down on the slide). The fan doesn't use very much power when on shore power, but when dry camping every amp counts.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #18
jsk

I have been following the other thread about the outriggers caving in to the weight. I went by yesterday and looked at a unit (387rdfs) that has been on the lot for 6 months- the slides have been open the majority of the time. All seems to be intact and not giving. On the kitchen slide on this unit there are 3 supports. The 377 has a longer slide so wonder if it has more, the same, or less. Gonna try to post a pic of support under fridge on the slide but not sure if I can.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post

Full disclosure...the issues that we had were the slide motor on the bunk room died, the bottom stair caved in on me (that never should've happened...I'm only 215 lbs), USB ports did not work (should have been caught and repaired by the dealership before our PDI), inverter was wired backwards, the gray tank valves leaked, residential freezer door was dented....(there were more minor things, some of which I fixed myself, others I had the dealer do, as it was already their). For the most part, most issues were minor and my family LOVES this RV.
Bookemdanno - what happens when the inverter is wired backwards?
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
Bookemdanno - what happens when the inverter is wired backwards?
It no worky! Wire it up correctly and the inverter fires up and supplies juice to the fridge.