Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #1

North Point/Pinnacle Slide Mechanism

Hi all,

I have a question re the slide mechanisms for North Point/Pinnacle Fifth Wheels.

Are they Electronic, Hydraulic, or a combination of both.

I can't seem to find anything on the Jayco site about their slide mechanisms.

I'm of the understanding that there are manufactures who's Fifth Wheels have Auto Leveling using Hydraulics and then leverage that for the Slides too.

I'm also of the understanding that historically Hydraulic slide systems are prone to expensive failure.

thanks for any feedback.

Dave
David Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #2

JAYCO uses electric slides. A combination of thru the frame, SCHWINTEK and SLIM RACK.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #3

Our old Montana had hydraulic slides and i miss them. way more reliable
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

That's really interesting. They must have improved them because my neighbor who has an Eagle used to have Cardinal pull behind and the slide mechanism was hydraulic. It failed him twice and the 2nd time the manufacturer informed him that it could not be repaired/replaced. They were able to hack a solution but sold the unit soon after.
David Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
JAYCO uses electric slides. A combination of thru the frame, SCHWINTEK and SLIM RACK.
Our Pinnacle has two Slimracks, for the heavy BR (with washer and dryer) slide, and the heavy Kitchen slide. The little bed headboard slide is on a Schwintec, which is appropriate, and then the relatively light DR slide with recliners and dinette is on the through-the-frame slide- the one that looks like it could move a drawbridge.

Our only problems with a slide has not been a Lippert problem, but a fault with a lock-out switch that keeps the BR slide from moving if the BR door isn't latched open. It's a Jayco missstep. There is a service bulletin on it. It's unique strictly to our floor plan.

From my earlier aircraft mechanic days, I would have preferred hydraulic; strong, silent, smooth, reliable and even relatively light.

The nice thing about the Slimracks and Schwintecs - at least for the RV builder- is that the all machinery is built into the walls at the slide openings. On one hand, that is extremely clever and it seems that it should be reliable, but I think that a lot of folks here would agree that they are often used on slides that are too heavy for them.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote