Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #1

Northpoint roof cleaning

For those of you who have cleaned their roof, I plan to do so soon and have some safety concerns. Have you found the roof to be very slippery while scrubbing with soap. I plan to use plain dawn dish soap and a soft long handle bristle brush. How did you do yours?

I also plan to apply dicor in spots and on the inside of the vents.

Thanks

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #2

I have a Pinnacle and clean roof with Murphy’s Oil Soap.
Using a scrub brush.....
Do NOT step on area you are cleaning until it’s been rinsed really good with water.
It is slippery like ice until rinsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

I agree with Jasum...it’s slick. Also, if your hooked up to the TV, put the front legs down for added stability (trust me on that one).

Old 03-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #4

I use dawn dish soap in warm water with a scrub brush. It works really well. I go bare foot up there to make sure I don't damage the rubber roof. Since I use a hand scrub brush, it's mostly hands and knees work, so I use a piece of foam board to kneel on. I usually break it down into 4 or 5 sections, wash and rinse and move forward/backward. Be careful that your garden hose doesn't rub against the edges of your roof - it can quickly rub a hole through the roof material.

I wouldn't call it dangerously slippery up there while doing this, but do exercise caution. Staying low on hands/knees helps with stability and less likely to slip or fall.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

I've found Simple Green to work best. I have a spray bottle of it and spray an area, scrub it and rinse it. Working from front to back on my hands and knees doing about 3' and 1/2 the width at one time. My roof is nice and white. I wet the area first so that the SG dilutes as it's sprayed.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #6

I would think twice before using Simple Green. Found this on another forum, not my words.

I was doing some reading on the DICOR website yesterday for another question on the forum and came across this comment from DICOR: "CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty. Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery" http://www.dicorproducts.com/catalog...membrane/#care

The comment is in both the BriteTEK (TPO) cleaning instructions and in the EPDM cleaning instructions.

Also, in the DICOR FAQ section is this Q&A: "What do I need to care for my roof?
Periodic cleaning (see Dicor care & maintenance instructions). We recommend you stay away from anything that smells "fruity" or "flowery". These smells will attract birds, bees, squirrels, raccoons & other "critters". http://www.dicorproducts.com/faq/

I remembered this thread, so I went to the Simple Green website to look at their list of ingredients.

This is what is in Simple Green: Water, Ethoxylated Alcohol, Sodium Citrate, Tetrasodium N,N-bis(carboxymethyl)-L-glutamate, Sodium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Isothiazolinone mixture, Fragrance, Colorant

I do acknowledge that Simple Green's manufacturer says their product is OK to use on EPDM and TPO roofing, but DICOR says "don't do it"... You may never have an issue with Simple Green, but if you have a problem with the 10 year warranty on your roof and DICOR can determine that you used a "citric acid based cleaner", they may disapprove your warranty claim. Also, some of the Simple Green formulas (lemon scent, etc) may attract pests to your roof, compounding your cleaning problems.

I know that we've all heard the warning, "Don't use gasoline to clean greasy auto parts" but many of us "ignore the warning" anyway. Simple Green may well be in the "ignore the warning" category for many of us.

I'll leave the decision up to you.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #7

EPDM and TPO have different cleaning and protections applied. Make sure of the type of roof material you have before you clean also some Dicor lap sealants are made for EPDM and others for TPO. DO NOT USE solvent, oil or citrus base cleaners.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #8

What do you you have for a roof material? Our HTT is some thin rubber roof. When I am up there wearing clean (soles) tennis shoes, it never feels slippery.

I wash ours with Dawn dish soap, and a long carwash brush, along with a 5 gallon bucket for the soap solution. I wrap the hose around the AC unit to keep it from wanting to slide/slip off the roof.

I just applied 6" eternabond to my seams last spring, I wish I had done it years ago.

Good luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Thanks for the info on Simple Green. I had read about it before. I use it once a year and then it is quite diluted when it's on the roof and rinsed off immediately after scrubbing.

RV warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on so a 10yr roof warranty doesn't mean much to me. A good part of being on your hands and knees scrubbing is that it gives you a good opportunity to closely inspect the roof for damage.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #10

Unless your fulltiming this works good for me. I picked it up on craigslist for $75.00 I can do all my washing of roof without walking on it. Only get up there when checking sealant. Also works good for cleaning awning and waxing.
Can't get pic. to load but's it's a roll around safety ladder like you see at Home Depot to get item's off high racks.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #11

I may be one of the few who use a power washer to wash my roof. I’ve used Murphy oil soap and spic n span with so so results. Too much elbow grease needed for my liking. I can do my 42’ roof in about 15 minutes or so and since there’s no soap, the slipperiness is kept to a minimum. Just don’t go crazy around the sealant or seams and keep the wand moving.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #12

So I wash my 2017 377 roof about 2x a year, it used to look like this:

Now it looks like this:

I’ve scrubbed with all cleaners, you name it, but I can’t get it clean like the first pic again. What’s the secret? Before you ask, Yes, my ocd needs it that clean again.
Rolling_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #13

Rolling fortress

Try the power washer. I was in the same boat as you. I too like to have my roof looking clean as day 1 as well. So far, the power washer is the best way to get that “like new” clean.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Rolling fortress

Try the power washer. I was in the same boat as you. I too like to have my roof looking clean as day 1 as well. So far, the power washer is the best way to get that “like new” clean.

Thanks Tom, that’s one thing I have not tried. Going to give it a shot.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #15

Good move. Check out the results I got. My roof was “cleaned “ with Murphy oil soap and spic n span. Results were not up to par. Then I tried the power washer and you can see the difference
Roof Cleaner
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
Site Team

Raise your antenna to allow you to clean under it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Good move. Check out the results I got. My roof was “cleaned “ with Murphy oil soap and spic n span. Results were not up to par. Then I tried the power washer and you can see the difference
Roof Cleaner
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

Looks awesome! Definitely going that route next.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:43 AM   #18

My 5th wheel is not a year old yet and I was thinking of applying a couple of coats of a quality elastomeric roof coating now while the roof is still new and not worn yet. I did it to my previous 12 yr old 5er and it came out great. What do you think?
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #19

Diluted bleach soultion you have mildew. brush it on let it sit wash off make sure you use lots of water so it dose not streak on the sides. Also i see you have the dreaded staples pushing up against the membrane use eterabond for tpo roofs and reinforce those areas
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Rolling fortress

Did you use any cleaning agent with the power washer?