Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

NorthPoint Shower Hot/Cold Mix

Loving our new NP, however, the hot/cold mix is way off. Hot shows up about the last 5% of the turn and gets real hot or real cold with very slight turns. My kids have complained several times and my youngest’s fine motor skills aren’t the best. Has anyone opened up the valves and messed with the mixture settings? Pretty straightforward or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Team

You could try letting a little cold water into the hot water line if you have a bypass valve on your unit. Most are behind the water heater, ours are in the utility closet.

I have read of others solving that problem that way. Just reducing the temp of the hot water.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You could try letting a little cold water into the hot water line if you have a bypass valve on your unit. Most are behind the water heater, ours are in the utility closet.

I have read of others solving that problem that way. Just reducing the temp of the hot water.
Hmmm, isn't that what the shower valve is supposed to do? My main concern is the mix only occurs at the last 5% of the turn of the handle, whether its hot or cold. By adding cold water to the hot water line through the bypass, I would then be mixing in maybe the last 2% of the shower valve turn and while that might avoid the scalding hot if turned too far, the cold would still be an issue since the mix would even be worse and shifted to the very end.
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

Think you need a new shower valve. Mine was doing the same thing and dealer replaced it for me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
Hmmm, isn't that what the shower valve is supposed to do? My main concern is the mix only occurs at the last 5% of the turn of the handle, whether its hot or cold. By adding cold water to the hot water line through the bypass, I would then be mixing in maybe the last 2% of the shower valve turn and while that might avoid the scalding hot if turned too far, the cold would still be an issue since the mix would even be worse and shifted to the very end.
Yes it is, but this method lowers the temp of the hot water coming in to the shower faucet and those that use it say it helps.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Yes it is, but this method lowers the temp of the hot water coming in to the shower faucet and those that use it say it helps.
And if you mess with it just right you never need the cold side for washing dishes/rinsing, your hands never get scalded.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

bzeller, most, I caution to say all, shower faucets have an anti-scald valve. You have to take off the handle and pull the stem out. Once this is done, you will note two holes that the water comes out of and then two rubber washer that are adjustable to allow so much cold/hot water to bypass. Very simple process. They are usually set at 50/50 from the factory but we know how QA is these days. You can YouTube videos, as I did, and set it to your liking. I did it with my new 2017 Pinnacle that was set to hot. Give a video a look and I have confidence that you will solve your problem. SKIDAWG
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzeller View Post
Loving our new NP, however, the hot/cold mix is way off. Hot shows up about the last 5% of the turn and gets real hot or real cold with very slight turns. My kids have complained several times and my youngest’s fine motor skills aren’t the best. Has anyone opened up the valves and messed with the mixture settings? Pretty straightforward or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the same issue in my 2017 unit also. Fine line between all hot and to cold.

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidawg View Post
bzeller, most, I caution to say all, shower faucets have an anti-scald valve. You have to take off the handle and pull the stem out. Once this is done, you will note two holes that the water comes out of and then two rubber washer that are adjustable to allow so much cold/hot water to bypass. Very simple process. They are usually set at 50/50 from the factory but we know how QA is these days. You can YouTube videos, as I did, and set it to your liking. I did it with my new 2017 Pinnacle that was set to hot. Give a video a look and I have confidence that you will solve your problem. SKIDAWG
Skidawg, do you just pull the stem out with a pair of pliers? I couldn't tell how to remove it.
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:55 AM   #10

We have a 2018 NP that has the same issue but it's 95% cold and 5% hot. If we are in a location with bad water pressure our hot percentage drops even lower. I have taken the shower head and valve apart to see if I could adjust the flow of hot water but the valve mechanism was too simple to do anything to. I'm planning on replacing the whole thing when I get the time and hopefully that will work.
JIlleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #11

i had the same problem. I contacted Empire (the manufacturer of the shower hardware itself...a quick web search will get you their contact info). They were extremely helpful. Apparently, according to the individual with whom I spoke, Jayco may have installed the hardware upside-down. She walked me through the breakdown of the hardware, and with some adjustments of the inner workings, I now have HOT showers!!! Albeit backwards (as soon as I turn on the water, it's hot...and moving it further counter-clockwise, it gets cold). I couldn't care less. My wife, two boys and I are happy and have hot showers. It is still sensitive, meaning a small tap to adjust the temp will kick it up or down quite a bit, but it's manageable. We are limited in duration because of the hot water tank size...but that's RV life. I am thrilled to now have HOT showers and not have to walk my boys to the campground showers in order to get a comfortable shower.
mwilliams1623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #12

Sorry for the delay. Yes, use pliers and simply pull the stem out. Skidawg
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #13

Spoke to the dealer about my hot water issue in the shower and they offered two suggestions if you have tankless water heater.

1) Turn the hot water on in the shower and then turn on another faucet to hot as well, they say this will force more hot water to the shower.
2) Switch to a dual handle faucet, which they tell me will be the most likely path in my unit under warranty.

My unit is in the shop now so I can’t test the first method. But I did somewhat test the first option inadvertently on my last trip with the sink in the bathroom, when I turned the sink faucet to hot the water heater did not fire up. So I proceeded to flush the toilet for about 2 to 3 seconds and sure enough the water heater kicked on. So it seems plausible that option 1 could maybe work.

—————————————————

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote