Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Northpoint Toilet overflowed.

Friday I shutoff the water at the spigot and unhooked the hose so the RV park could weed whack around the spigot. Since we wouldn't be using the water that night I went to bed figuring I would connect it in the morning. Got up walked into bathroom and floor is covered in water and toilet is overflowing.

I quickly flushed the toilet and mopped up the mess and put a heater in the bathroom to dry it out. Luckily the bath mat absorbed a lot of it and since the water was off all that could come out was a trickle from the water in the rv's lines. It did cause some water damage to the wood on the bottom corner of the sink cabinet. Water did seep down into the basement by the storage door on the driver's side but outside of the Luan trim around the door nothing looks damaged underneath. I dried it all out.

However once I flushed it once it started filling with water again.....slowly. The foot value was fine and worked.

Being perplexed I googled the issue and low and behold this is a know issue with Thetford Toilets. If the pressure drops they will seep water into the bowl. Also it's an intermittent issue. I confirmed this by turning the water back on and as soon as the lines were "charged" it quit dripping. When I turned the water off again and turned on the sink to release some pressure it started dripping into the bowl. It's slow so under constant use until the water in the lines was gone it probably wouldn't cause an issue.

People have replaced the valves and it will work fine for a while and then do it for a while then quit.

I'm going to contact Jayco Monday and ask to cover the cost of replacing the Thetford with a Dometic. I'll install it but I can't be comfortable with turning off the water and maybe this thing leaking again.

Anyone else have this issue?

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC 4WD
2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #2

Interesting....

I'll stay tuned to see what your results are.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Team

We turn our water off each time we head out for an all day trip. Saw an RV with water flowing down the stairs, and out of the storage compartments, that was enough for us to not trust the plumbing while away. Never had an issue like you, ALTHOUGH.... we did have an issue with HIGH water pressure that filled the bowl, but we caught it, Since then we use a water pressure valve.

No problems since then

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

My toilet valve went bad after a couple years of full time use, and started allowing the bowl to slowly fill, but that was under pump pressure. I replaced the valve and it's been good since, about two years. I should probably replace it again, preventively. Are you saying that your bowl filled when there was no pressure in the water lines, or did you have the pump turned on?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #5

I am sorry to hear about the trouble that you have been having Hoojs. This scares me. I have not had my North Point out yet due to scheduling conflicts, but when I do I will be very sure to keep a close eye. We half the bath and a half which means 2 x the toilets for 2 x the potential problems. Let us know if you find an answer and/or a solution.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

Northpoint Toilet overflowed.

SmokerBill- I had the Waterhose disconnected and the pump was off. Their was pressure in the line from what was sitting in them before I disconnected the hose. Once someone used the toilet or sink it took the pressure off the lines and allowed the toilet to seep into the bowl. It's a issue when the pressure drops below 40psi.

Mustang65- we do the same. As we have seen what you have. Always off if we leave the RV park. However this wouldn't have prevented what happened. Going forward I'm going to either pull the low point drains or run the sink and toilet until nothing is left in the line.

Given this seems to be a Thetford issue I will replace with a Dometic even if Jayco won't.

2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Hoojs12840;405571
Given this seems to be a Thetford issue I will replace with a Dometic even if Jayco won't.

2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your troubles and thanks for posting as this is something I'll definitely be keeping an eye on from now on.

With regard to the Dometic toilet, be sure you have enough space for it. I tried to replace our Thetford with a Dometic but there isn't enough clearance behind it.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #8

Wow! Hoojs performs what should be considered a fool proof mitigation action of not only turning off and disconnecting the water supply but also turns off the water pump and still ends up with an issue. I would absolutely but, nicely at first, push Jayco for a warranty replacement and even go as far as taking pictures of the water on the floor and stained cabinet bases and forward them to customer service.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #9

This is at least the second time that I've heard of this..... In my 5th wheel North Point the toilet is on the upper level, and about the ONLY water valves higher are the bath sink & tub, and the closet connection for the washer (unused). I can't imagine that there would be enough water at a higher elevation to overfill the bowl....

On my old Rockwood, I installed a tee with a shut-off to the toilet, behind the toilet. I connected a kitchen-style sink sprayer to the tee outlet, this allowing "skid marks" to be sprayed away. The shut off valve made sure that the spray had full pressure when the flush pedal was depressed. Worked very well.

On Edit: I just went out and looked at the toilet in mine. It's definitely the Thetford, so I'll be watching from the solution, or doing the same mod that I made on the Rockwood.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote