Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #1

Not for the faint of heart.

I took the aft wall of my basement off this weekend, to further inspect a water flow issue I was having and it looked like a bomb went off to which they quickly threw up a wall as to pretend it never happened lol. Wow... water lines/hoses, wires, duct tubing all entangled in what one could describe as an orgy or casserole of nonsense!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to do some OCD organizing with the help of some people fittings, duct tube elbows, and other various organizing gadgets in order to sleep better at night! Lol.

You really see what level the care and craftsmanship is when you look behind the screens and scenes that's for sure.

I think I'll do a before and after collage.
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #2

Fast and cheap is the way its done. Just look behind your converter box at the wiring there.
Post a picture of before and after if you would.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #3

Here is why it looks like it does and everything falls apart.

https://youtu.be/aLHux4SuXbY
Old 08-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post

That particular video has been sped up, it has been previously discussed on JOF.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:

6 hours.... lol... holy cats...

Makes a person a lil sad...
Old 08-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #6

I take that RVIA certificate as a joke. I cannot believe some state has not gone after them to build these things to a real building code

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I take that RVIA certificate as a joke. I cannot believe some state has not gone after them to build these things to a real building code
Federal Regulations are in play....They are exempt from HUD only RVIA standards apply.

Since the HUD Code's inception in 1976, Recreational Vehicles (RVs) have been largely exempted from the HUD Code.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #8

I refer to the basement section under the stairs behind the panels as "The Pit of Despair". In my younger years, I was an aircraft mechanic and trained to maintain and route systems to FAA (FAR) part 41 standards. Looking behind the walls no in our rig makes my skin crawl.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Fast and cheap is the way its done. Just look behind your converter box at the wiring there.
Post a picture of before and after if you would.
Ok. It's not NEARLY as dramatic as I envisioned, bbuuttttt....never the less...it's better. Subtle, but better.
Attached Thumbnails
20210828_173930.jpg   20210828_203319.jpg  
Old 08-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #10

Anther before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
20210828_173902.jpg   20210828_203319.jpg  
Old 08-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #11

And to think amish meth heads are putting these things together.

It's a wonder more things aren't screwed up when they roll off the line.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperdude View Post
I took the aft wall of my basement off this weekend, to further inspect a water flow issue I was having and it looked like a bomb went off to which they quickly threw up a wall as to pretend it never happened lol. Wow... water lines/hoses, wires, duct tubing all entangled in what one could describe as an orgy or casserole of nonsense!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to do some OCD organizing with the help of some people fittings, duct tube elbows, and other various organizing gadgets in order to sleep better at night! Lol.

You really see what level the care and craftsmanship is when you look behind the screens and scenes that's for sure.

I think I'll do a before and after collage.

Mine looks identical. Wait 'til you have to replace the check valve on the water heater...and you will have to because Jayco insist on using the cheapest plastic part available. It's really fun to get at through all that mess. Save yourself the headache of losing hot water on a trip and do it now while your re-arranging the rats nest.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #13

Jayco quality has gone down hill.

My fourth RV I purchased a Jayco 5th wheel from a dealer in Oak Ridge NJ. I thought I’d be treated well, being that I was a 4th time return customer. I purchased the Jayco, and upon opening it for the season we have had nothing but problems. All those items you mention - be very careful of. We almost had a fire in ours, if it wasn’t fir the fact our RV was in a very humid environment, it would’ve been a disaster. Check your refrigerator vents. Ours where literally boxed in, so no air could flow. We’re in litigation now with Norcold and Jayco over this design flaw. They’re both pointing fingers at each other. Leaks, from poor seals around exterior outlets, poor seams, along with leaking windows. Now I know why people by older units, and rebuild them themselves. We will be unloading this for an Airstream.
Tony from NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #14

And they tout "Amish Craftsmanship" My 2017 has not had any major issues. One piece of moulding in the bedroom had to be glued and tacked back up. And I had to replace a board for the tank levels. They sent me the board. It was just plug and play. Other than that my Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS has been great. I added a few things to it. A 2nd AC unit, A MORyde pinbox. Covers for the slide outs, wetbolt kit. Goodyear tires and just added two easy starts for both AC roof units. And filled all the little gaps with copper wool and pest spray foam. Then, sprayed the entire bottom with Mouse Free repellent.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #15

Never Gonna Un-See This One

Quote:

Oh, well that explains a lot.

"If everyday is a break-even day, I'm good with that"
2020 JayFlight SLX 287 BHS, UVW 6,180 lbs
2015 RAM 1500, 8spd, 4x4, 5.7L, TowPak, 3.21 ratio, Fastway e2 2-Point Sway, AirLift 1000, GCWR 13,800lbs
1998 Coleman Redwood Pop-up (sold2020)
2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab (sold2018)
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraftonGuns View Post
And they tout "Amish Craftsmanship" My 2017 has not had any major issues. One piece of moulding in the bedroom had to be glued and tacked back up. And I had to replace a board for the tank levels. They sent me the board. It was just plug and play. Other than that my Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS has been great. I added a few things to it. A 2nd AC unit, A MORyde pinbox. Covers for the slide outs, wetbolt kit. Goodyear tires and just added two easy starts for both AC roof units. And filled all the little gaps with copper wool and pest spray foam. Then, sprayed the entire bottom with Mouse Free repellent.

How hard was the second AC? My friend has an HT and he wants to put one on next spring.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #17

I still believe every JAYCO employee , office workers, assembly line workers, all management level workers ALL employees,,, should be made to spend 3 days and nights in a R/V that comes off the assembly line while they are working on it. Let them experience the Crappy workmanship that is coming out of the factory they work at. Also they need to have kids & wife with them and only basic tools in thier tool box and no fuses or Duct tape . I can a bet you would see an improvement in workmanship. Did I mention that the R/V would be driven for 100 miles down a rough interstate before they get to use it……
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr21801 View Post
Mine looks identical. Wait 'til you have to replace the check valve on the water heater...and you will have to because Jayco insist on using the cheapest plastic part available. It's really fun to get at through all that mess. Save yourself the headache of losing hot water on a trip and do it now while your re-arranging the rats nest.

Yup what said
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Federal Regulations are in play....They are exempt from HUD only RVIA standards apply.
Thats part of the problem. RVIA is a joke, I've read a lot of their documention. Sounds good on paper, but there appears to be no governing body that will ensure the manufactures actually build to the standards. The manufactures are self policing. They need some type of ISO standard, with auditing, corrective actions, and possible fines. Until the laws change or some form of enforcement occurs, these units will never get better.

I feel for the people who buy a camper and have no mechanical abilities and think they will be just like a car.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
I still believe every JAYCO employee , office workers, assembly line workers, all management level workers ALL employees,,, should be made to spend 3 days and nights in a R/V that comes off the assembly line while they are working on it. Let them experience the Crappy workmanship that is coming out of the factory they work at. Also they need to have kids & wife with them and only basic tools in thier tool box and no fuses or Duct tape . I can a bet you would see an improvement in workmanship. Did I mention that the R/V would be driven for 100 miles down a rough interstate before they get to use it……

Yep... but maybe two weeks. This could be done with auto designers also lol.