Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Not starting out good

During our demo walk thru we noticed the fridge in our new 321RSTS wasn't working and was told they hadn't done a PDI till that morning and they have had the unit for a good while .. They are on the phone back and forth with Norcold and I have a trip planned and running out of time. I hope if they can't get it resolved they will pull a unit from another unit to put in mine. I don't know what to do without getting mad.. Grrrrr
Gobbledot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on the new 5er!!!

Hope the dealer gets things all set for you in time for your trip!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Sounds like poor planning on the part of the dealer. Unfortunately, things will happen. You may want to ask them to make it up to you by throwing in something you want. Maybe one of those blue grey water totes?
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

I doubt they will pull one from another unit. I asked about pulling a slide motor out of another unit and was told that everything in a Jayco has its serial number recorded at the factory. Jayco gets on the dealer if they start swapping parts as it messes up the warranty records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #5

Sounds like typical dealer bull crap to me...
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #6

Well my opinion is that the dealers should be conducting thorough PDI's as they receive the units in from the manufacturer. That way they have plenty of time to get units fixed that need fixing before it hits the sales lot. This would make everyone's life easier, both the dealer and the customer. A lot of time and aggravation could be spared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #7

That should've been caught by the dealer upon their inspection of the unit when delivered. A unit with a problem such as this should not have been showable on the lot. Sets a bad example, not just for them, but for Jayco as well. Although, there is a chance it went south on the lot. Can't understand how, but possible. That being said, it's the dealers responsibility now to have it fixed before delivery. Period. Warranty is warranty. Regardless, if it's the dealer or consumer. I've also heard rumors that warranties won't kick in until the unit is titled and this may be why it hasn't been addressed yet.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 AM   #8
P&K

It seems that workmanship is slipping everywhere. We have had our unit out three times now and I look forward to the time we don't have a problem. Currently it's at the dealers getting repairs.

One thing you might want to check before hitting the road is the lights over the island. I stepped on a decorative screw last weekend after opening the slideouts. It came out of the one light which was left swinging by the wire. Who know for how long during our 1.5 hour drive!

Before even taking it out the struts on the bed were applying too much pressure to the sides and the bed broke. IT was a Wed. Night and we were camping Friday. Luckily the issue was fixed in time.

Shower leaked all over the floor. Looks like it's not caulked properly. Leak under the island sink. �� Rubber seal for fridge side slide out ripped in every place there is track. Don't want to scare you and hope you don't have all these problems. It just seems that everything is slapped together and for the money you put out you'd think they were be in better shape.

All that being said I do love this unit and hope once we get it back it will be problem free. When you get it out use everything and inspect everything closely. I might not have notice the slight leak under the island sink if I wasn't really inspecting after the shower issue.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #9

Sorry that this is your launching pad. It all comes down to the dealer when most systems are first tested. Pulling a fridge from another unit is not something that will likely occur.

If that was my unit I would not want it pulled out and replaced like that. Get it done right and with a new unit if required. Don't let your eagerness to camp allow things to get done in haste.

Perhaps you could convince them to spring for a small dorm fridge to mount in the basement for your first outing if you do not have an outdoor kitchen. That will come in handy down the line.

I would also now take some extra time to go through everything to make sure it works while it's there for the extra time. Hook up a hose and test it all. Every valve. It's common to have some leaks in the first months of ownership.

Hope your on you way speedily.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That should've been caught by the dealer upon their inspection of the unit when delivered. A unit with a problem such as this should not have been showable on the lot. Sets a bad example, not just for them, but for Jayco as well. Although, there is a chance it went south on the lot. Can't understand how, but possible. That being said, it's the dealers responsibility now to have it fixed before delivery. Period. Warranty is warranty. Regardless, if it's the dealer or consumer. I've also heard rumors that warranties won't kick in until the unit is titled and this may be why it hasn't been addressed yet.
Interesting rumor you heard regarding the warranty not kicking in until a unit is titled. I will have to thoroughly read through the warranty documents because I plan on obtaining the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin directly from RV Express in Middlebury, IN followed by only using one of my auto dealer license plates for traveling without ever actually titling the TH through a state's DMV process. This is lawful and using my dealer plates is applicable under reciprocity laws in all 50 states and Canada. By the way, my TV will also be displaying a dealer plate.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Harview View Post
Interesting rumor you heard regarding the warranty not kicking in until a unit is titled. I will have to thoroughly read through the warranty documents because I plan on obtaining the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin directly from RV Express in Middlebury, IN followed by only using one of my auto dealer license plates for traveling without ever actually titling the TH through a state's DMV process. This is lawful and using my dealer plates is applicable under reciprocity laws in all 50 states and Canada. By the way, my TV will also be displaying a dealer plate.
I didnt' think it was legal to tow anything with a dealer plate equipped TV. How have you gotten around this?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I didnt' think it was legal to tow anything with a dealer plate equipped TV. How have you gotten around this?
I am not sure if towing has much to do with it.
However, I would be surprised if it is legal to leave dealer plates on a vehicle for any length of time. The poster may do it, and apparently has the plates, possibly works/owns a dealership. Whether it is legal or not, is another question.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I am not sure if towing has much to do with it.
However, I would be surprised if it is legal to leave dealer plates on a vehicle for any length of time. The poster may do it, and apparently has the plates, possibly works/owns a dealership. Whether it is legal or not, is another question.
I do own a dealership and because of this, under CA Vehicle Code, the owner can use dealer plates for any "personal" reasons and at any time. Same goes with the dealership's insurance policy which clearly states, "any vehicle owned". Where it would be illegal, "not unlawful", is if one was using the TH, TV or off road vehicle for delivering parts, merchandise or for example, providing transportation to and from for customer's who bring their vehicle in for service/repairs because such would be considered operating in commerce with dealer plates. Bottom line here is the fact that camping, traveling, off roading, etc. is not operating in commerce and therefore such is both legal and lawful under CA law and such laws are under reciprocity nationwide and Canada. Been a licensed dealer for going on 18 years now.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Harview View Post
I do own a dealership and because of this, under CA Vehicle Code, the owner can use dealer plates for any "personal" reasons and at any time. Same goes with the dealership's insurance policy which clearly states, "any vehicle owned". Where it would be illegal, "not unlawful", is if one was using the TH, TV or off road vehicle for delivering parts, merchandise or for example, providing transportation to and from for customer's who bring their vehicle in for service/repairs because such would be considered operating in commerce with dealer plates. Bottom line here is the fact that camping, traveling, off roading, etc. is not operating in commerce and therefore such is both legal and lawful under CA law and such laws are under reciprocity nationwide and Canada. Been a licensed dealer for going on 18 years now.
This is off topic but I hope you don't cause a wreck because someone else will own your dealership.
Also this may hinge on tax evasion as if it goes in you dealer inventory, you don't pay the applicable California sales tax.
You may want to delete your post. lol
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter1959 View Post
This is off topic but I hope you don't cause a wreck because someone else will own your dealership.
Also this may hinge on tax evasion as if it goes in you dealer inventory, you don't pay the applicable California sales tax.
You may want to delete your post. lol
This is off topic too however, to answer you, no one can own my incorporated dealership if insurance covers whatever possible liabilities happen to occur or if I elect to pay what is not covered by insurance. The state of CA can not and will not prosecute for tax evasion on what is considered inventory units. Everything in inventory is for sale or being staged for sale at some point. In some cases, some of my inventory is priced very, very high and the likelihood of someone actually offering to pay the full pop and non-negotiable asking price may be the kicker here. As of yet, I haven't come across a law, code, statute or rule that dictates what price a dealership or anyone else for that matter must or must not sell an inventory or private party unit for pricewise. I'm not saying such will never be the case however, I will leave possible political rhetoric at the door, know what I mean?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #16
Site Team

My 2011 rig sat on the dealers lot for almost a year. When I purchased it, the 2 yr warranty clock started ticking.

Fortunately, I have had only minor problems requiring return to the dealer for repairs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #17

The warranty starts when the dealer submits the proper paperwork to Jayco. If a unit is damaged upon delivery that is another matter. I don't know of a dealer that checks out the refridgerator before the unit is sold. They would just have to do it again before PDI.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My 2011 rig sat on the dealers lot for almost a year. When I purchased it, the 2 yr warranty clock started ticking.

Fortunately, I have had only minor problems requiring return to the dealer for repairs.
Yes Norty, this is exactly what I am hoping for. I can perform many of the trivial issues myself and even have many tools, space, and capability to perform most major issues. However, I will also demand that all parties follow any lawful contract (warranty) to the tee and force the doctrine of operating with clean hands. Yes, I will be expected to follow these very same guidelines as well and if I screw up, I will pay the piper.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #19

They can pull a frig from a different unit and put in yours. During our PDI I inquired a lot about the stereo and how to play movies and connect the phone through it. In the process we found some subsystem part of the stereo did not work (it played music just fine). They did not have one in stock. They pulled one out of another TT, and replaced it while we finished up the PDI.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #20

GREAT new today, the fridge is working correctly. They said somewhere between the shipping from Norcold and Jayco instilling it that the unit may have been laid down for a couple of hours and the ammonia was messed up in the coils. Norcold told the dealer to plug it up and let it run for 48hrs and i should all equal back out and guess what, in less than 24 it had done it. The mechanic came in this morning and checked it and they were ice in the freezer and it had only been turned on for about 14hrs. Yeeeepeee momma is a happy camper ..
Gobbledot is offline   Reply With Quote