Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #21

Normandee,

Congratulations on your new rig!! I, too, bought a unit that had been on the dealers lot for a while . . . like for 14 months! They were anxious to get rid of it, and (since I made it clear I'd be paying cash) they made me a really good deal. I'm sure your dealer did the same for you. As others have said, your 2-year warranty doesn't start until you take delivery, so you really don't have anything to worry about. It was especially beneficial for me to buy the unit I did, since that was the model I wanted, and it was discontinued for the next model year.

And don't stress out the PDI. See if they'll give you the instruction manuals before pick-up and read them carefully. Ask the dealer about anything you don't understand. Make sure the technician demonstrates everything in the unit. If it doesn't work, make sure they fix it before you sign the papers. If the tech doesn't know how something works, stop him from going any further. Insist that he/she go find someone who can explain the item, before you let him continue the PDI. Otherwise, both of you will forget to get an answer.

Good luck on your new adventure. I went full-time 1-1/2 years ago, and haven't regretted a minute of it.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #22

so glad to hear of someone who went FT! We are going to use this as our primary first(put our lg home on the market) but will not be traveling much as DH still needs to work FT. willbe a major adjustment for me.
Normandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Congrats with your new unit and hope it fulfil your dreams of full timing

Don't buy the 7 year extra warranty it's just an extra gimmick to get more money out of you. Consumers affairs warning people about this.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #24
Site Team

A few discussions here about extended warranties, the prevailing opinion seems to be they are a waste of money;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...0-a-31391.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...nty-29784.html

As for the PDI, no need to hire someone just take your time and follow suggestions here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ist-18379.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #25

Smart PDI moves ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
And don't stress out the PDI. See if they'll give you the instruction manuals before pick-up and read them carefully. Ask the dealer about anything you don't understand. Make sure the technician demonstrates everything in the unit. If it doesn't work, make sure they fix it before you sign the papers. If the tech doesn't know how something works, stop him from going any further. Insist that he/she go find someone who can explain the item, before you let him continue the PDI. Otherwise, both of you will forget to get an answer.
I took copious notes - but it was overwhelming. We read manuals after-the-fact and had many more questions, and the dealer was great in answering them. We created checklists (picking-up from storage, returning to storage, campsite set-up, campsite break-down) until the routine became a habit. There is SO much it is overwhelming - but a good hint we got AFTER the fact was to bring a camera (or use your smart phone) so you can record the instructions for review over-and-over again. BTW, there are also lots of videos on the various components if you Google or U-Tube them. Also, check all moving parts - for example our table collapses down but one of the metal pieces was broken and there was a knife slice on the Formica top. Have no fear, though, for the Punch List is your friend; our dealer asked us to take a couple of shake-down trips under differing conditions (dry camping, full hook-ups, rainy weather) and log EVERYTHING that concerned us for them to fix during warranty ~ and they did!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #26

very good advise- I'll record the whole PDI.
we will research all we can.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #27

you guys are the best!!
Old 11-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #28

Good deal! A unit that has sat on the lot for 8 months is no different than a unit that you bought 8 months ago and sat in your yard or campsites. If you save money and/or find a floorplan you love, its a great deal!

For PDI, just make sure you know how all the components work. How to turn the water pump on, how to drain your lines, drain your tanks, turn propane on, turn stove/ovens/water heater on, AC vents, etc. If there is anything you don't understand, ASK THEM! This is when they are the most helpful... before they get your money!!! I still think the BEST way to learn is to find a friend with a camper and go on trips with them. Even though every unit is different, they are generally the same. Your buddy will know why your water pump isn't working on the first trip in the spring (valve turned from winterizing the winter before???) or will be able to explain why you are having a hard time lighting your water heater (takes time to evacuate the air from the lines).

Aftermarket warranty's are generally a waste of money. They are pure profit for the dealer, because its unlikely you will ever be able to get anything fixed by them after your factory warranty expires. I would suggest you either put that money aside and have a budget for repairs, or you learn to repair things yourself.

I learned to patch a hole in the roof, replace rotten plywood in the roof, fix a split linoleum floor, replace the caulking (actually butyl tape) around a window, etc etc. All these things are relatively inexpensive to do if you have the time to do them yourself. If you take your trailer in to the dealer for every little thing, you will never be out camping!

Hope you enjoy your trailer and camping. We head down to Bradenton (actually Anna Maria Island) every February. My good friend and his family moved down to Tampa about 10 years ago, so we visit them and take a leisurely vacation at the same time. Beautiful down there in the winter at least!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #29

I believe there is a huge difference! When the coach arrives at the dealership, they should inspect and repair issues before it is placed on display. The factory makes mistakes. Humans put these things together. Does that make it right? Probably not. But, in my case, everthing we found wrong should have been taken care of long before I found it!

If the dealer would note all issues, take pictures and send to Jayco service and warranty to request authorization to prep this unit for display and sale, they would get fairly paid and compensated.

As I said, that doesn't make it right but, that is usually what happens. Or, it should with reputable dealers. Now days, those are getting harder to find.

Only my 2 cents.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #30

Request a copy of the MRSP prior to taking delivery. Use that as part of your PDI, to verify that what was included on the sticker is still there. For example, roof ladder, Dyson vacuum, tv's, etc. search and print a PDI list, review prior to PDI and take it with you.
16 ft.Nova Craft Prospector Canoe
2 12’ Old Town Loon angler kayaks
okraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
If they mark the price down for being a 15 and its what you want I would say go for it, provided of course the inspection is satisfactory. Not at all uncommon for dealers to have leftovers on the lot, they usually price them to sell...
X2
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #32

x2 Brownie, exactly!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #33

Spoon's idea of a camping friend is a great one . . . if you have one. I didn't, but found a ton of them here!
Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #34

I'd say as all others have go for it, here's one specific issue to look out for : if buying from a dealer in a heavy snow area, and unit was delivered in winter when there may have been salt or antifreeze chemical on the roads, then it sat in snow pack for some months, do a very close inspection of the underbelly for corrosion issues. That's my tidbit of wisdom, I told you it was very specific, welcome and enjoy!
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #35

We decided on what floor plan model Eagle Premier we wanted at the end of the 2014 building year. We had a choice of 2014 or 2015 models available. We did an internet search and inquire on both years. The 2014 unit we bought was on the lot about six months. We got it for 15K less than any price we could get for the identical 2015. We did have to travel to pick it up which was fine with us. Our local dealer has given us outstanding service on any issue we have had. I would buy a leftover again.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote