Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #1

Ok to get a Leftover?

again brand new to this so pls help. Any reason to stay clear of one sitting on lot for 8 months?
Of course we would demand full inspection but anything else??

Either order ''16 Northpoint 38FLFS (front liv room) or get same deal on a '15 Pinnacle 36FBTS(lg bath) that better suits us & seems like better built unit.

Pls help asap- Thanks Norm & Dee
Normandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #2

I'd say no. A lot of RV's sit on lots for a while. When we were buying ours, they had TT's that had been there for months. Nice floorplans too. I think as they sell, they order more and maybe they don't front the older model. Everyone wants the "brand new shiny" ones that arrive. Maybe the floorplan is not a heavy seller. I know a lot of people like the bunkhouse models and they sell like crazy. It seemed we were the only people out there NOT looking for a bunkhouse and we ended up with a beautiful trailer. Or the color combo is not as desirable as others. Alot of circumstances can keep an RV on a lot for awhile. Most times, there's nothing wrong with it...just happenstance. Just inspect thoroughly.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Site Team

If they mark the price down for being a 15 and its what you want I would say go for it, provided of course the inspection is satisfactory. Not at all uncommon for dealers to have leftovers on the lot, they usually price them to sell...
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

We saved a ton of money and got a great interest rate (not marked up from the bank to the dealer) by buying a '13 model after the '14's were on the lot.

The dealer was motivated to sell, and the camper was just about exactly what we wanted. We couldn't have gotten this much camper by buying during the current model year.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Ok to get a Leftover?

We bought a leftover 11 , 351rlts a few months after the 2012's came out. It had been on the dealers lot and we even looked at it 6 months earlier.
It was marked way down and has been a great buy.
The 2 year warranty starts when you buy it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #6

I would buy it from our dealer, that is the critical part of the equation, the dealer. Dealers order units based on what they hope may sell, or it may have been ordered for a customer who backed out.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

We bought ours a show. It was a model year leftover and almost exactly what we had been discussing for years. My wife told the salesman."This is it!" We'll take it." two minutes after entering the unit. He was amazed. We saved a bunch of money and have had zero regrets.
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #8

I bought my Designer as a leftover 2010 after the new Pinnacle's were announced and the Designer series was discontinued. I liked the floor plan, the Designer was much much better equipped than any of the new Pinnacle's......No Question For Me!

5+ years full time later I'm still happy with this decision.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

What makes the Pinnacle a "better built" unit?
I have been in many 2015 Pinnacles at my dealer, but in no way do I see any difference between my 2016 North Point and the Pinnacle, besides the heftier price tag
In fact I notice better in my North Point. The under side of the bedroom floor is foil wrapped.. The basement storage is better.. The roof material is rapped around the edge. Doesn't have a rear cap, but that's not worth an extra 10k or more $$ to me. The fridge is better. The ground control 3.0 is better. The battery compartment is better. The steps are better.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #10

agree but I need the turning radius inthat lg bath model. Going to dealer now will bring up your points. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #11

Ya... That bathroom is nice !!
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #12

A "minor" point about a unit that's been sitting on the lot a while is the tires are aging. The "foreign made" tires seem to have a built-in timer, when it hits ZERO they come apart regardless of the miles they've travelled. The "conventional" wisdom seems to be an ST tire will last 3-5 years and if you start with a year old tire you've lost a significant percentage of it's useful life. We bought last year's model and had 2 tire failures in a 75 mile stretch after about 1.5 years ownership. We got a good deal on the purchase but doing it over I'd angle for a few more $$$'s off or a "deal" on some NEW tires (that I'd choose).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
What makes the Pinnacle a "better built" unit?
Many options on the North Point are standard on the PINNACLE, also unless you boon-dock I'll take the residential fridge over a gas/elect any day.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #14

OP - I would not have an issue buying a "left over" is the price was right. A 2015 will be two model years old around March when the 2017 start shipping.

Also, I might pay particularly close attention to the tires. Dealers I know of don't typically cover them, so although they haven't been used they have likely sat in one spot and exposed to UV which degrade tires. I might try to negotiate in a new set of tires actually.

FYI - I bought my second TT private party used and got an amazing deal. It's a 2012 and the dealers we selling 2014. So many people buy new and realize RVs aren't for them or find out very quickly they would prefer something else so I find there are a lot of very new and slightly used units available. For us to buy the same floorplan new it was going to be ~$22k (MSRP was low $30s); but we bought used for $15k. I figured that savings was worth forgoing a warranty since the prior owner essentially did the shake down for me. ~2 years later it has been a great decision and we have had no service needs yet. I would do the same thing again when we decide it's time to change units in the future.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #15

Consider "leftover" as a marketing term -- no real meaning.

It is sold to you as new, with the full warrantee.

It doesn't matter what model year it is. As long as you feel the unit really fits your wants/needs.

The only thing to watch out for is if the unit has been sitting, unattended for too long; Is the siding smooth? Floors nice and even? No sign of water infiltration. Try and decipher the date codes on the tires.

Keep in mind that "leftover" is not the same as "used" or "old". A good hard look will reveal problems. And you might use "It's Last Year's Model" as a negotiating point.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #16

all great advise. Well we went for the '15 Pinnacle with the large shower (FBFS) & put in 2nd ac here in FL. , Floorplan is nice but wow are we ever going to have to downsize from our 2100sq ft home.

Can we hire someone to ck over the unit when we get delivery you all so kindly addressed: tires, slides, etc.?? Wouldn't want to put that burden on a friend.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #17

Congratulations on your new rig. You've done your homework. Now is the time to just enjoy it.

My opinions.

I've seen people miss a season trying to find the "perfect" RV.

No matter if you bought the bestest highest rated RV ever you still may have problems and issues. Deal with them as they arise. Don't waste time worrying about what might go wrong. That just takes away from the enjoyment.

You're under warranty. Don't worry about tires because they sat for an extra 8 months. Don't even worry about batteries. They may last longer than expected than on a brand spankin' new unit. Move the slides in and out at home to be sure they work. Camp in the driveway or at a short distance away campground to work the bugs out. Most likely everything will be ok.

Any (all?) RV will have problems. You made your choice now enjoy it.

Sorry to go on.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #18

Normandee, I don't believe you'll regret that decision. Our FBTS was setting on the dealer's lot for 6 months until we came along. It was already equipped with everything we wanted which, included both air conditioners. The only thing it didn't have was the slide room toppers. That is being rectified at this very moment!

We did have a couple of minor issues but, between the dealer, Jayco service and warranty group and some pictures I sent in, all of it has been corrected with no pain whatsoever!!

The unit is now in winter hibernation. As you might guess, I am chomping on the bit to take it on the road!
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #19

Congrats, we bought our 2015 Pinnacle 36 FBTS off the lot. We took delivery on October 8th. It had most of what we were interested in already installed (slide toppers, 2nd A/C, theater seating and interior color). We added a Onan generator, upgraded the tires to Goodyear G614's, rear view camera and the aluminum steps like on the 2016's. There were some features on the 2016's that were different, but we felt like we got a good deal and have been extremely happy so far. Just get a good PDI list for reference and be sure to ask questions on the walk through. Also, on things that were new to us, DW videoed with her tablet.
16 ft.Nova Craft Prospector Canoe
2 12’ Old Town Loon angler kayaks
okraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #20

thanks happy for all of you! They are installing 2nd ac. Will pickup in Dec. Where can we find someone to do walkthru with ussince we are novices and fon't know what to look for. Mechanic shop?

Dealer tried to sell us 7yr unit warranty & 5 yr tire warranty (replace only onblowout) Better deals thru clubs??