Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

On board genset noise/vibration levels

Hello all,
We are pondering throwing an Onan 5500 in our 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. But concerned how loud/vibrations it will be inside the trailer. Especially in the bedroom while sleeping. I searched you tube hoping someone posted a video but no luck.

The other option is a Honda 7000 inverter genset in the bed of my truck. Problem with the inventer is it's only rated at 22.9 amps (has a 30 amp breaker and I assume it's a double pole) at 240 so I'd have a total of 45.8 across the legs if it's like a standard genset. But I'm not sure how those inverters are wired in the stator. Or only 30 amp at 120. I'd need to rig up a stack to the Honda to comply with the stack required rules. Than you add the hassle of loading and unloading it from the truck. Not having it at all times. The added cost of adding a wireless remote start.

But there are pros and cons to either setup. But we need enough power to run both AC units and the converter/charger. Like I said, my concern is getting more than 30 amps from the Honda. If it's wired with a two pole breaker on the 240 outlet than I'd be good. The pictures only show a single lever breaker which normally means single pole. If that's the case it would be only 22.9 amps total for both legs. Just not familiar with inverter gensets.

Thanks,
Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

We have one in our 38 FLSA (front living room) and I don't feel the noise is obtrusive. One day while exercising it I completely forgot it was running with the TV on until I went outside.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

I would agree with Grumpy, we do not find it obtrusive. We have a 7k Onan, you can tell its running but it is very handy when boondocking or just pulling over for the night at truck stops or rest stops when traveling to campground.

Took the risk a purchased mine online saved several hundred and shipping was included to house. I was nervous but everything turned out good.

Jamie846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

I've had a 7500 and 4000 onan in our previous Motorhomes, and it was no more than a quiet hum. Have the 4K champion on the back of ours now. Can definitely hear it. Louder than our inverter hondas, quieter than a contractor generator. I don't mind the hum, but I slept near EMD's and CATs for 20 years so it would just make me sleep better. Only time it's usually running is while we're getting from A to B, at rest stops etc. Never ran it in a campground.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #5

We have an Onan 5500 LP gen set in our Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. You can hear it running, but minimal vibration. I can't feel it through the memory foam mattress we installed and we are basically right on top of the generator. I believe the LP version is slightly quieter than diesel or gas versions.

When we have overnighted at Walmart, I've found other RVs generators are "louder" than our onboard. I'd consider it the same as an air conditioner running.

Very happy with ours overall. Would definitely buy one again (or move our existing to a new trailer!)
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #6

Generator Noise

Have to say only thing I miss in our 16 Eagle is the Onan 5500!In our 06 HR toy hauler I did set the Onan on a thick rubber mat, very quiet.It came with a huge muffler.Surprised how quiet it was.And the on board remote miss that too. Two Honda 2000s seems like we are constantly loading and unloading.And sometimes two ACs would be nice!
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #7

Short answer is yes you will hear it...until you turn on the AC

Vibrations depend on how you mount them.

Convenience. Front mounting in that small trailer means a lot more weight on the pin. Is your truck good with that? Mine would not be.

Is that trailer set up for a genset. Mine is not. That means a lot more prep work as well.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies! We are currently working on a deal for a 2010 Onan 5500 LP with less than an hour on it. Right now we are at 1800.00 with the negotiations. Was bought new and installed in a 5th wheel. Than her husband died unexpectedly. So that's why it has less than an hour on it. We'll probably go look at it and test it Saturday.

Thanks,
Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #9

I'd actually be concerned with how long the genset sat unused. Seals and internal parts need lubricated. Since it's LP, the fuel system should be fine, and that's likely the bulk of the issues. Still look at getting a full service done. For $1800, you can't really beat that. New, they are going for 5k+.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #10

I ended up buying that genset. Paid 1800.00. I tested it before hand and ran great and had output. Came with the manuals, remote harness and the remote start panel switch and hour meter.
Excited to get it installed and eliminate all the hassles I've been dealing with for 15 years.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #11

Genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I ended up buying that genset. Paid 1800.00. I tested it before hand and ran great and had output. Came with the manuals, remote harness and the remote start panel switch and hour meter.
Excited to get it installed and eliminate all the hassles I've been dealing with for 15 years.

Earl
Hey Earl let us know how the install goes! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #12

Will do but since the trailer has gen prep, it will be plug and play except the tail pipping. All i need to do is pull out the plywood floor in the fire box, drop genset in and bolt down. Plug in the existing remote start panel harness, connect the existing lp hose, and connect the genset leads to the existing junction box. Than I will have to plan my tail pipe routing and lengths.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #13

You might want to contact Jayco for the genset tailpipe part. Onan has a number of kits that are available. I'm sure they can tell you which kit to get for your specific unit.

Goes without saying, but make sure the pipe sticks out past the edge of your trailer to keep the CO from accumulating underneath.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #14

Yep, tailpipe must extend out at minimum of an 1". I plan to buy and use a Gen-turi exhaust stack as well.

I plan to route my exhaust out between the two slide outs.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 07-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Will do but since the trailer has gen prep, it will be plug and play except the tail pipping. All i need to do is pull out the plywood floor in the fire box, drop genset in and bolt down. Plug in the existing remote start panel harness, connect the existing lp hose, and connect the genset leads to the existing junction box. Than I will have to plan my tail pipe routing and lengths.

Earl
I ended up getting mine from Jayco, think it was around $65. Did not have any luck finding a local shop with dies small enough for the pipe diameter.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie846 View Post
I ended up getting mine from Jayco, think it was around $65. Did not have any luck finding a local shop with dies small enough for the pipe diameter.
You get it from actual Jayco or the dealership? My trailer only had the prep option. They didn't offer the generator as an option.

Onan makes lots of different tailpipes, you just order the size you need. Looks like I will need two tailpipes to get to where I need to exit.

Earl
Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #17

Quote:
You get it from actual Jayco or the dealership? My trailer only had the prep option. They didn't offer the generator as an option.

Onan makes lots of different tailpipes, you just order the size you need. Looks like I will need two tailpipes to get to where I need to exit.

Earl
Dealer, called Jayco and they told me to order thru dealer. I only had the gen prep package from factory on mine as well. Dealership just used the sn#/vin# to get the same pipe that would have been installed at the factory. Exits between the master slide and bunkhouse slide.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Dealer, called Jayco and they told me to order thru dealer. I only had the gen prep package from factory on mine as well. Dealership just used the sn#/vin# to get the same pipe that would have been installed at the factory. Exits between the master slide and bunkhouse slide.
What trailer do you have?

Earl
Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
What trailer do you have?

Earl
2016, 377RLBH

Old 07-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #20

Quote:
2016, 377RLBH
Ok that's why you were able to get a tailpipe. They have generator options on the higher end trailers. The Eagle they don't, just the prep option only. I doubt Jayco has a part number for something they don't install. But I will email my dealer and see. But I'd be concerned about using a Gen-turi with exit at the basement door. I would need to be more inline of the water heater.

2017 Eagle 293RKDS

Earl