Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Onan Marquis 5500 Install

Hi - New to the fourm and had a question about Onan 5500 install.

Have a 2013 Pinnacle 38FLFS with Genny prep package for gasoline setup.
Looks like plug and play for the connection to the panel in coach but what about
battery for starting genny? is that in the wiring harness and uses house batteries or do we need to setup separate battery?

Also AC output connections?

Read here that the wood floor in genny compartment needs to come out for mounting, exhaust connection and for air intake, oil changes and genny mounts to cross members?

Whers the transfer switch?

Anyone done this install before?
Ironman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

Buy battery cables and connect to the coach batteries.

The plywood floor just lifts out leaving the frame for the Onan.

The exhaust system isn't plug and play.

The transfer switch is in the basement.

The genset output leads will terminate in the junction box. Wires nuts provided but I recommend lugs or split bolts.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Thanks Earl - Sounds like you've done this before.

I'm looking at putting in an older Onan Marquis 5500 (2008) - should fit into cabinet just hope mounting on genny lines up with the cross members.

So AC output from genny connects inside that junction box?

There's also a heavy black wire coming into cabinet with the quick connect wiring/plug????

The battery compartment is up front on the side but looks like there's no holes in the genny compartment to run battery connection thru. Might be pain in the *ss.

Looks like fuel line is in with fuel tank and carbon canister.
Also the carbon canister - where does that connect on generator?

Any input would help.

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #4

Might set unit on a thick rubber mat, leaving cut out for cooling. Stops the vibration from traveling through the frame of the camper!Worked good for us over 8 year's!We used a mud flap off and 18 wheeler/
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman44 View Post
Thanks Earl - Sounds like you've done this before.

I'm looking at putting in an older Onan Marquis 5500 (2008) - should fit into cabinet just hope mounting on genny lines up with the cross members.

So AC output from genny connects inside that junction box?

There's also a heavy black wire coming into cabinet with the quick connect wiring/plug????

The battery compartment is up front on the side but looks like there's no holes in the genny compartment to run battery connection thru. Might be pain in the *ss.

Looks like fuel line is in with fuel tank and carbon canister.
Also the carbon canister - where does that connect on generator?

Any input would help.

Thanks
Mike
Yep, I installed an Onan 5500 LP in my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. It was slightly used with 6 hours.

Yes the genset output leads will splice into the coach wiring in the junction box. The onan should have a section of liquid tight on it to connect to the box.

The harness you mention plugs into the Onan for the remote start panel.

You can run the battery cables under the trailer. I ran mine across the front bottom on the compartment inside. I had room for them. Eagles are set up different in the front company.

The Onan manual should tell you about the carbon can. I never had the pleasure to work on an onan with emission devices yet.

Your framing under the wood panel it made for the onan footprint. It's pretty much plug and play but the exhaust.

I highly recommend using several CO detectors, especially for gasoline gensets and if you plan to run it while sleeping.

Earl
Old 06-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

I also put high quality marine grade sound deadening in my genset compartment. My bedroom is above the genset and I do need to run it while I sleep at some events. I don't feel the genset through the trailer while it runs.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 06-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #7

Thanks Earl -
Just talked to Cummins Onan. The 2008 Onan 5500 does not have the fittings for the carbon canister set-up, so I don't think i can use it because the fuel tank is plumbed into this canister too. They want $5850.00 for a new 5500 Evap. Might be sticking with my Kipor 3000 Inverter for now and try to rig up a remote start for it.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #8

I'd use it. Remove the carbon can and plug the connection at the fuel tank. All it does is store vapors until the engine runs and pulls it into the intake.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 10-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #9

Earl I’m installing my generator on my 2020 jayco eagle 357 mdok I have 2 black wires 2 white wires and a green do those go to the junction box in the generator compartment in that junction box there is black red white and a bare copper wire any info thanks
Camp5521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp5521 View Post
Earl I’m installing my generator on my 2020 jayco eagle 357 mdok I have 2 black wires 2 white wires and a green do those go to the junction box in the generator compartment in that junction box there is black red white and a bare copper wire any info thanks
One black to the red. One black to the black and all whites together. Green to the bare ground.

The rv black feeds the one side of the breaker buss bar and the rv red the other side.

The two blacks from the generator are the two hot outputs.

Use proper size wire nuts. I'm not a fan of wire nuts for that guage and load. I prefer split bolts with electrical rubber tape and then electrical vinyl tape over the rubber.

Earl
Old 10-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #11

Thank-you earl appreciate the info , Do you know much about the jaycommand system? Wondering how to get the start stop button on my panel.
Camp5521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp5521 View Post
Thank-you earl appreciate the info , Do you know much about the jaycommand system? Wondering how to get the start stop button on my panel.
No I don't. There was a recent post on that not long ago.

Earl