Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2024, 10:31 AM   #1

Ongoing Problems With Our Jayco Northpoint

Good morning, all.

So, this is as much a question as it is a rant. We have a 2022 Northpoint 310 RLTS which we bought new in FEB 2023. Since 10 July of 2023, it has been in and out of the shop for 197 days - 6 1/2 months - out of the last 11 for the same problem: the hydraulic jacks keep falling down on their own while traveling or sitting still. Jayco and Lippert say "it is unusual"; the dealer has been unable to fix it. A Lippert tech is supposedly coming this week to look at it. A manager at the dealer finally told me a few weeks ago that this is a known problem with the Lippert jacks.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or anything like it? And for this long? I've never come across anyone so far that had a problem go on this long. I finally filed a complaint under the Texas lemon law.

Would appreciate any thoughts and ideas. Would love it even more if a manager from Jayco would contact me.

ODNT
ODNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:44 AM   #2

Haven't had any fall down but had one replaced under warranty as it was leaking badly. I now have another one with a slight leak when retracting.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:10 AM   #3

I’d do a test by hooking to the truck with all jacks retracted. Mark the fluid level on the reservoir. Let it sit for a few hours. After they come down as you describe, I’d retract them again and see how the fluid level compares. If it’s back where it started when retracted the first time, you’re not losing fluid. It would then be sneaking past a valve. If that’s the case, I’d be sure all the valves are fully closed by turning the valve with an Allen wrench on the bottom or top depending on orientation. Should be hand tight clockwise. In my case the rear jack valves are the bottom two on the manifold in the photo. Front jack valve is on the lead front jack.

If they’re all closed, and no leaks, I’d say ask for a new valve/valves for which ever jack set is falling.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4167.jpg  
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 01:31 PM   #4

Update

A tech from Lippert looked at the rig today. There are metal shavings or particles in the new pump, and in the original one. So, the system was compromised when it was built. He said 100% of all components would have to be replaced. I'll fight that. Here's to hoping Jayco does the right thing without a fight.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODNT View Post
A tech from Lippert looked at the rig today. There are metal shavings or particles in the new pump, and in the original one. So, the system was compromised when it was built. He said 100% of all components would have to be replaced. I'll fight that. Here's to hoping Jayco does the right thing without a fight.
Lippert built the components so why would you be fighting with Jayco? All Jayco does is connect the pump, the hoses and the jacks together. It would be a Lippert issue.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:59 PM   #6

Grumpy, good afternoon.

Texas lemon law says the manufacturer has to fix it (they have has been unable to do so to date), repurchase it, or replace it. After all of this time without an RV, I don't want to lose more time getting it fixed, but we will see what happens.
Old 06-05-2024, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Grumpy, good afternoon.
Texas lemon law says the manufacturer has to fix it (they have has been unable to do so to date), repurchase it, or replace it. After all of this time without an RV, I don't want to lose more time getting it fixed, but we will see what happens.
I think you're fighting an uphill battle since the dealer was the one who didn't diagnose the problem correctly. Lippert is the actual manufacturer and they would be replacing the system.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2024, 05:32 PM   #8

I know in NJ, lemon laws only apply to the locomotion and chassis aspect of RVs which limits us in the 5th wheel community. Not sure if the leveling system would qualify.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:09 PM   #9

I have a 2021 310 RLTS. I have had the same issue. I've had one front leg replaced because it was leaking fluid and the other front one replaced because it would collapse. My trailer was in the dealership from Sept 2022- June 2023. It was there so long I had to get permission from Jayco to extend the warranty to get it fixed. Before that it was in the dealership to repair the leaking fluid. In between stays the dealership was sold to Campingworld. I should not have to say anything else. To this day I still have an issue with the one middle and back leg on the passenger side retracting sometimes. The only difference is my hydraulic system is made by equalizer. I believe they went to lippert shortly after the 2021 model year. I welcome any suggestions for a fix besides replacing the whole system
Trublu1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:15 PM   #10

I have commented on this before. Ford for example equips its various vehicles with airbags made by Autoliv, Daicel, TRW and JSS. If my “SERVICE AIRBAG” dash light turns on any Ford dealership will do the repair, probably the same day. Ford does not manufacture every part in my vehicle. Ford does however stand behind every part in the vehicle and stock the parts to repair it. Imagine if a car dealer had a car in for months on end to get a repair done. In my opinion there is no excuse for the way people are treated by Jayco and their dealers. I have learned to just give up and do the repairs myself or pay someone else to do it. All 50 states have some form of Lemon Law I would advise anyone with a problem repair to check on your states law. If Jayco has to take back a few RVs maybe they will take more responsibility for the quality of their products and customer service on what they sell
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
When hydraulic systems are compromised with metal shavings, you have no idea how bad those shavings scored cylinder walls or damaged seals. Even if you flushed the system, you cannot guarantee that 100% of the shavings were removed and that there is no hidden damage waiting to cause the same problem again in a different part of the hydraulic system.

The Lippert tech is correct. Everything needs replaced. Trying to argue for selective replacement is not wise. Replace all of it.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
I have commented on this before. Ford for example equips its various vehicles with airbags made by Autoliv, Daicel, TRW and JSS. If my “SERVICE AIRBAG” dash light turns on any Ford dealership will do the repair, probably the same day. Ford does not manufacture every part in my vehicle. Ford does however stand behind every part in the vehicle and stock the parts to repair it. Imagine if a car dealer had a car in for months on end to get a repair done. In my opinion there is no excuse for the way people are treated by Jayco and their dealers. I have learned to just give up and do the repairs myself or pay someone else to do it. All 50 states have some form of Lemon Law I would advise anyone with a problem repair to check on your states law. If Jayco has to take back a few RVs maybe they will take more responsibility for the quality of their products and customer service on what they sell
I actually did contact a lemon law attorney. At that it time it was the 3rd time I had taken it in for a landing gear issue. He told me if I had to take in in another time he would think about taking the case.
Trublu1068 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, lippert