Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Opinion of North Point and Pinnicle quality

Hello, We are looking at the 2018 North Point 315 and 381. Can anyone share an ownership experience? We were ready to buy a Grand Design Solitude when we stumbled across the new North Point. We own a 2013 Eagle TT now that quite frankly has been junk the last few years with floor squeak, flexing issues and under belly screws rusting out and cabinet door hinge screws pulling out. Reading some horror stories about Thor and warranties being screwed around with. Just not wanting to make a mistake. What I liked about Grand Design was the quality, fit and finish but also I met a factory rep at the Hershey show, he invited me to the factory to tour the facility but also to meet the owners of GD- actually previous owners since WB acquired them. I was somewhat taken back that the owners will sit and talk to a perspective buyer. Being in sales, I mentioned I'm not going to Elkhart to listen to a sales pitch! But was assured they talk only about supporting the people who spend hard earned money with Grand Design. I wonder if Thor does that?...
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #2

We looked at both of those floor plans before deciding on the Pinnacle. Overall the Pinnacle just felt like a more sold unit. Everyone's tastes are different, but for what it's worth, we thought the living space in the 315 felt small, and the bathroom in the 381 was just too big and the bedroom a little tight.

We also looked at the Solitude, and though it was a nice rig, it just didn't feel right to us, and I wasn't impressed by some of the materials they used. Friends of ours have a GD and they have a lot of the same quality and fit and finish issues the rest of the industry does.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

The North Point is not worth the money, and to get any warranty work done is not worth the headache. Our 2017 NP 375bhfs had major issues and after months of dealing with Jayco. The unit will be in the shop for approx 8-12 months at a minimum
5Castles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

What kind of issues have you had? If its going in the shop for 8-12 months, you should be reimbursed for the unit or offered a new one.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Castles View Post
The North Point is not worth the money, and to get any warranty work done is not worth the headache. Our 2017 NP 375bhfs had major issues and after months of dealing with Jayco. The unit will be in the shop for approx 8-12 months at a minimum
Sounds like another bad dealer to me. 95% of the time the dealer is blaming JAYCO when it's actually their poor service dept.

We had a couple issues with our 2015 PINNACLE, but JAYCO made it right with no questions. They even had our air cond fixed while we were staying at FORT WILDERNESS by authorizing mobile service repairs.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

This is the 3rd dealer that has had to deal with this camper, in 3 different states.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

I spoke directly with Jayco several times, over several months trying to get these issues resolved.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
I spoke directly with Jayco several times, over several months trying to get these issues resolved.
What kind of issues, if I may ask.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #9

We have a 2017 Pinnacle and it has been an absolute pleasure. Aside from a few very minor items it has been flawless. I really think it comes down to the selling dealer. Good one's make sure you get taken care of by Jayco. Others...Not so much.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

We narrowed our purchase down to the solitude and the north point, I think both are made better than the alpine and Montana. We went with the NP 315, mainly because it was cheaper, the three propane tanks. We've been happy so far after one season. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

We have a 2018 NP 315 that we picked up in August. Have just over 2000 miles on it. Great unit with no issues to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ram Laramie 3500, asin, 4x4, DRW 4:10.
2018 NORTH POINT 315, 8K Axles,disk brakes and 17.5"
WayneTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

The water heater the first day we got the unit, the dealer came out and fixed that on their own. Then a BH slide quitcompletely, residental fridge stoped, the roof leaked through the ac returns and all the interior apeakera in the main living area, the inverter stopped working. The bathroom hfloor had a soft spot at the door, the main ac did not cool. Corner trim was falling off all over the camper. I think thats about it. The camper came off the line in late Oct. 16
Old 09-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
I believe it. Mine will be in the shop a total of 1 year this Oct. Still hearing the same old song, waiting for parts. Have a factory appointment next year and have to haul it 1400 miles to hopefully get it fixed. Its only been moved 100 miles since purchase so it has nothing to do with towing. Out of the 12 units we've owned, this has been the worst as far as quality. Never thought a new unit would end up being my worst nightmere.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Still hearing the same old song, waiting for parts.
If you look back through many posts and threads, when the customer contacted JAYCO it turned out the dealer dropped the ball and never ordered the parts, or used that as an excuse since they were way behind in getting service work done.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you look back through many posts and threads, when the customer contacted JAYCO it turned out the dealer dropped the ball and never ordered the parts, or used that as an excuse since they were way behind in getting service work done.
This!

I would recommend finding a new service center (dealer) and/or report your current service center to the BBB. That typically makes things happen...though it's never fun. People have all kinds of suggestions and opinions so you have to do what's best for you.

Good luck!
Drolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #16

We have a 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA and the only issues we have had were Camping World inflicted. I had a slide where the motors were moving in opposite directions. CW said they would have at least 2 months to fix. I did some google searching and fixed it in 5 minutes by flipping a dip switch on the controller to reverse the direction of one motor. RV are just like anything else manufactured. There will always be a lemon out of thousand of good ones. These forums tend to only bring out the negative stories because folks are looking for help with an issue (myself included). Best advice I ever got, pick the RV that meets your needs and your budget. Take your time with the delivery inspection. The dealer wants to rush through so they can move on to the next sale, but this is your RV. You should run the slides in and out several times, fill the fresh water tank, run the pump, check for leaks, turn on every light and appliance, run the propane and any appliance that uses the propane. Insist everything is fixed before you leave the dealer or replace the unit. You are not stuck with it until you leave with it.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #17

377 2017

It's been a year now that I've lived pretty much full time in the jayco..! Been very happy with only a few minor issues that I resolved through the dealer and manufacturing companies. Only thing that has not been resolved is the sorry recliners ...
blink is offline   Reply With Quote