Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Opinion on my 377 RLBH build

Spec'ing out a 2018 377 RLBH:

Cashmere
King bed
Convection micro
On demand hot water
Furrion rear view camera
Dual patio awnings
Hitch receiver

We don't watch a lot of TV, especially outside when camping, so not interested in the slide out TV.

We're mostly seasonal, so no need for the Sanicon system or a generator.

Any other options to consider?

Going back and forth between two local Jayco dealers, neither of which I've dealt with before.

One of them plays hardball a bit more than the other. They have the better pricing of $59,400 regardless if I trade in or not, and would give me $13,500 on my trade but only if they take it now. They would reassess based on NADA value at the time of new unit arrival, late Feb (I assume downward). Won't give me a formal financing quote without a signed agreement and non refundable deposit. Little worried about something going wrong between now and then and being without a camper for 2018 since they would have taken mine...

The other dealer has been much more accommodating, but pricing is considerably higher: $61,800 regardless of trade or not, but $15k on trade in value. And their deposit is refundable, and they've been very pleasant during negotiations. They will hold trade in value regardless if I wait for new unit to arrive in Feb. They came down to this new price when I informed them of what their competition was selling for, and how I would prefer to buy through them, making both deals about the same price if I end up trading in.

My dilemma is with trading in. Market value of my current unit is probably around $18k, but selling season is definitely coming to an end soon (SE PA). And if I sell it, it would make the deal with the "nicer dealer" suddenly more expensive, and almost a wash. But if I sell and go with the "less nice dealer", I could be looking at a rig costing me almost $5k less...

Argh.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #2

Sell your trailer and dealer will come down in price. We hold the line until the trade is out of the picture. Normal practice in trading.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #3

Ditch the on demand HWH.

Pricing is resonable.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #4

My math tells me that you are only $400 higher with the workable dealer! I say go with them for there is always other things and warrenty work that you will need so woking with someone who is willing to work with you is important.

BTW we absolutely love our on demand hot water heater and will never buy another camper without it! So noce to take a shower and not have to shut the water off when soaping up or getting the cold bursts of water.

Definately get the 2nd awning and if your in a seasonal site then I might forgo the backup camera.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
My math tells me that you are only $400 higher with the workable dealer! I say go with them for there is always other things and warrenty work that you will need so woking with someone who is willing to work with you is important.
You are correct that the price is only $400 apart, but that is only if I do a trade in.

If I can sell my current unit for around $18k, the unfriendly dealer price for the 377 is still $59.4k, the friendly dealer reverts to $61.8k, meaning that my final price is $41.4k from the unfriendly (59.4k - 18k) plus 6% tax = $43.9k, and $46.5k with tax from the friendly.

I'm all for paying a bit extra for peace of mind on future quality service, but that's a $2.6k diff (not $5k as I previously stated, math error on my part).

Quote:
BTW we absolutely love our on demand hot water heater and will never buy another camper without it! So noce to take a shower and not have to shut the water off when soaping up or getting the cold bursts of water.
I am bouncing back and forth on this option. While I love the idea of taking "normal" showers when camping (to match the luxury of the rest of this unit), I'm finding threads like this all over the place:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ues-32397.html

Seems that the tankless units are very finicky to pressure and incoming temp. We also take road trips, so water source variation will happen. Planning a month long cross country trip for next year, would hate for our hot water to crap out on the road.

The standard heater is a 10 gallon on the 377, right?

We have a small family, just one kid.

Quote:
Definately get the 2nd awning and if your in a seasonal site then I might forgo the backup camera.
For $400, and the handful of road trips we will do, I think I'll just go for the pre-installed camera option...
Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #6

2nd awning is a no brainer, camera I can live without, I have mirrors

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

water heater

I am in the same dilemma. Cannot decide on the tankless or not. Working out an order now as find one spec'd out is impossible.
dhornauer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #8

Anyone know hot water tank capacity on the 377? 10 gal? I think I am leaning that way...

How about heat pump option? We maybe run our furnace a half dozen times per year and don't plan on any cold weather camping trips. No real need for heat pump then, right?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

It is a 10 gal. We are going that way too. Too many variable issues with the tankless. I hope to place the order soon.
dhornauer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
We have a 2017 377RLBH. On day three (6/1/16), we had a Truma AquaGo comfort tankless water heater installed. We are full timers and we love it. Paid $1700 installed. that's steep, but worth it. Minimum water flow is .4 gal/min for the heater to kick on. Not the 1 gal/min I've read with Jayco's brand tankless. Just recently, in Aug, we had a sensor fail, and Truma replaced it, no charge.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #11

I just bought 2017 377RLBH. I have taken two showers, did not turn the water off, just let it run and still had hot water to spare. Even my daughter with long hair said she had all the hot water she wanted and did not turn it off
docbraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #12

It can certainly depend on family size, # of guests, water pressure and how long they shower, vs round the clock heating and carrying an extra 10 gal(83 lbs) of water all the time. Last 3000 mile road trip to WY, I was the only male with four females. Our daughter is known to take 15-20 min showers, and with two granddaughters, it was a welcome appliance to have invested. Plus being able to take a hot shower upon arrival after a long day on the road is another perk. Less propane use is another. Its certainly not for everyone as hopefully the price for these high end units will come down. For 11 months out of the year, it's just my wife and I as we full time. Very doable with a 10 gal WH and moderate conservation. They could've engineered a 20 gal WH with the available space I remember seeing, but who knows the real reason why it's not, when building a camper that can sleep 9? You just have to be aware of throwing the propane switch (on top of electric) when necessary to speed recovery and turning off to save propane. Then it's friends and family during the last month. Also replacing the factory shower head with an aeration one can save on water use and increase the velocity feel. We've yet to do that and the DW wants one. So that's my next mod.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

Since we’re mostly seasonal with a single kid, I think we’ll play it safe with tank. I’m also hearing flow is reduced with tankless.

Anyway, not opting for the bbq, but will there still be an external propane hook up even without the actual grill option?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Since we’re mostly seasonal with a single kid, I think we’ll play it safe with tank. I’m also hearing flow is reduced with tankless.

Anyway, not opting for the bbq, but will there still be an external propane hook up even without the actual grill option?
Yes, I certainly understand your seasonal needs. I've read where the Jayco tankless does indeed require good water pressure(50+ psi), and a flow rate of 1 gpm or better to activate the burner. Some parks may not reach that level (depending on where you are in the park with their possible gravity tank feed system), in which you have to fill up your freshwater tank to utilize your onboard water pump to give you adequate pressure in the kitchen and shower, which the pump will give you up to 55 psi of water pressure. Many don't realize that you're lifting water up to 12' high (if the shower is in the forward 5ver section) for the shower head to flow, and with 40 psi measured at the 18"-24" high water spigot, 1 gpm ain't gonna work as well as you think at 12'.

Outdoor grill or stove? I've not seen where the outdoor kitchen comes without the propane stove, if that's what your thinking.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #15

There’s an approx $200 grill option, I assume that’s the typical bumper mounted grill set up?

Was thinking of just carrying a portable freestanding aftermarket grill, but was wondering if there is an exterior propane hookup even if you don’t opt for the bumper grill?
Old 10-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #16

How about the slide out toppers? If your seasonal site is wooded.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-Phyllis View Post
How about the slide out toppers? If your seasonal site is wooded.
Each dealer I’ve mentioned this to recommended just climbing up on the roof and cleaning the slides off every once in a while. At $1k option, and the presence of a built in ladder, I think I can deal with that.

Also makes slide seal maintenance a lot easier from what I hear...
Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #18

Yes there is still a quick connect at the rear of the rv on the door side for a portable barbecue if you don't get the factory barbecue.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Each dealer I’ve mentioned this to recommended just climbing up on the roof and cleaning the slides off every once in a while. At $1k option, and the presence of a built in ladder, I think I can deal with that.

Also makes slide seal maintenance a lot easier from what I hear...
You might change your mind when the squirrels start dropping nuts on your slide out roof at all ours of the night and day.
Or when they just scamper around up there gathering them.

I'm not a big fan of having to climb on the roof to clean off the slide outs.

Slide toppers also keep the slide outs cooler.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #20

Plus they help with water intrusion and keep them clean when u pull the slides ln. I don't know your location but there is One for sale on Craigslist in Atlanta but it doesn't have toppers but is at a good price
Pappyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote