Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #1

Thoughts on Thousand Trails Membership

Is anyone out there a thousand trails member?? Itís through Encore RV resort. They have a ton of locations across the good olí USA. The reason Iím asking we paid $250 for five nights in Williamsburg Va. In talking to them with the basic membership I can pay another $230 total $470 and camp in a Zone of our choosing for a year for free. We would most likely only use this property because we come down once to twice a month to bush gardens we have season passes for the little ones. So it would be free or pay for itself next visit which is next month. We really just go for the cheapest but safe due to the fact we only sleep in the rv. It rained one day this week and the older but just fine indoor pool saved us with the kids. Thereís no catch pay the $470 get the year for free. Well if you stay four nights or longer you canít stay at one of there properties for a week which would not affect us. The only thing Iím scared of is once a member then the sites would all of a sudden be full at booking time. We already checked a bunch of random dates including the 4th and itís open. Does any have any experience with them or any of their other properties and being a member. Thanks in advance
VaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

We found that the places we wanted to stay only had a few sites dedicated to Thousand Trails and they were not all full hook up. We also saw a disclaimer that we could not use Thousand trails ďduring holidaysĒ and peak week ends. That being said, if we were doing more traveling all year long it probably would save us money.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

We have been TT members for 7 years now and I think its worth it. We have stayed at a number of TT parks from PA to FL and have enjoyed each one. You need to keep in mind that the parks are generally older and will not be like expensive RV resorts with level concrete pads at each site. You should also check out TT Chesapeake Bay in Gloucester. While its not close to Busch Gardens, its a great place to enjoy a stay. My biggest gripe with TT is the number of annual sites that are rented out. I think they are renting too many sites to annuals, which reduces the number of sites available to travelers. I joined TT to travel, not to belong to a mobile home park chain. I
bwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #4

Oh I agree a ton of yearly campers. I’m ok with not having the fancy sites as we really only need it to park and sleep. I was just told about the one in Chesapeake just picking peoples ear. Guy said it’s about 30 minutes from the park which now about 20 so if full up give an alternative. Just at first it seemed to good to be true for what we do. But I’ve found no downside so far. Just wanted to see if I’m missing something. If we book by check out tomorrow the cost of our five night stay comes of the yearly membership cost. So I’m scrambling to research it. Again feels to good to be true. I’m a numbers guy during my work week. Just don’t understand how they turn a profit by having all yearly members opposed to nightly rates. At the same time I guess you can see it in the dated but perfectly fine amenities. Indoor pool not pristine but perfectly fine most don’t have one. Putt putt etc
VaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #5

I don't like the Thousand Island set-up regard site allocation. When I show up at a campground I want to know ahead of time where the site is located and if you reserve early have the opportunity to pick the best sites. The idea that you can reserve a site well before others but if you happen to arrive later in the day you get the worst site that meets the basic criteria for what you paid for doesn't work for me.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

If you search the forums here for "thousand" you'll find about a thousand threads on the subject. Opinions vary. My experience has been pretty good, now in our 5th year. With the camping pass you get a 60-day advance window for making reservations - make your reservations the minute your window opens, especially at popular locations. We've been to both Williamsburg and Chesapeake Bay in your area, very happy with both. And you WILL save $$$ if you use your membership. Look into their add-on "Trails Collection" at $199/year, too. It can be a real bargain. Good luck.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

I was given a free basic membership when I first bought my TT.
I stayed in 2 locations in Wisconsin and they were very nice.
Another one in southern IND that wasn’t as nice.
Another one in south Ohio and it was decent.
I was planning to renew last year for only $500 but I had a knee surgery and wasn’t able to travel.
I think they are worth the membership if you travel enough

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #8

What is the best option for full timers that travel from coast to coast........N, S, E, W.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Passport America is good enough for me.... $44 a year with 1800 campgrounds. Stay for usually $10 to $18 a night. Not a bad deal...
Old 04-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #10

We had one out in CA and found 1. fires were never allowed and 2. they were in out of the way spots, never near anywhere we wanted to go. It was fun for a while but ended up stopping the membership after 2 years.
H20mike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #11

We got a free week when we purchased our TT. After doing a little research it went into the trash.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote