Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I recently had the dealer change out our forward AC to the low profile unit. They did this for the cost difference between the 2 units. The height on my 28.5 RSTS is now 12’ 6” when hitched to the TV. It appears to be a little more aerodynamic also.
That’s my thought also.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by georam1 View Post
According to the 2018 Eagle brochure it states that with the optional front ac it's 162"
162" is 13' 5" Do you trust .1 inch? that you will clear the overhead?

I climbed up onto the roof of my trailer and measured to the top of the radio antennae, added 6" and that is what I go by.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
162" is 13' 5" Do you trust .1 inch? that you will clear the overhead?

I climbed up onto the roof of my trailer and measured to the top of the radio antennae, added 6" and that is what I go by.
I agree. It would be nice to be able to add a margin of error and still be below the limit.

Roof is 12’ 2”. Having an a/c to keep it a 13’ ish would be great.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #24

Maybe my math is bad but 13X12=156+6=162 so the 162" height is 13'6". Which is what mine measures when sitting level. I have not measured it connected to my truck. How concerned should we all be about this? How high are red lights, bridges, ect? If they are 163" then Jayco needs to change out the AC at no charge.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #25

As a follow up. Traffics lights, overpasses ect are supposed to be 17' off the ground. So if DOT mandates these heights then the only places you should have a problem is gas stations or maybe some old bridges/overpasses, but they should be clearly marked.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #26

Quote:
I have not measured it connected to my truck. How concerned should we all be about this? How high are red lights, bridges, ect? If they are 163" then Jayco needs to change out the AC at no charge.
From talking with a truck driver friend, the 13’6” is federal law. If you are higher than that and would hit an underpass or others damage you will be liable.

Most main underpasses will not be an issue. It’s when you get into cities or backroads where there may be an issue.

I’m looking into a truckers GPS where you enter your rigs specs and it will navigate around anything that is under your specs.

I was on a 4 lane highway that had a 13’5” underpass and an Truck route. Take the truck route. LOL
Old 05-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #27

Truckers GPS that sounds like a good idea. Really didn't know they had such. I'm going to look into that. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Truckers GPS that sounds like a good idea. Really didn't know they had such. I'm going to look into that. Thanks!
I’m playing around with this.

Anyone have others to suggest?

SmartTruckRoute by TeleType Company (In Apple Store)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #29

Garmin makes a GPS for RV.
RV 770 LMT-S

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/570074
RV 770 LMT-S is preloaded with detailed maps of North America that also include RV-related restrictions such as bridge heights, weight limits and related information for most major roads and highways. You’ll hear and see these helpful warnings, which can help prepare you for upcoming descents, ascents and more.

I have had the RV 760LMT for 4 years and have not had any issues yet.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
I’m playing around with this.

Anyone have others to suggest?

SmartTruckRoute by TeleType Company (In Apple Store)
I use a Garmin 760LMT gps that takes your height, weight and length to keep you out of trouble. No issues so far. Do I trust it 100%? No. It did warn me of a weight limit on a country bridge once. I also use the Rand McNally truckers atlas for pre-planning that shows truck routes and bridge heights for each state.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #31
bap

Quote:
As a follow up. Traffics lights, overpasses ect are supposed to be 17' off the ground. So if DOT mandates these heights then the only places you should have a problem is gas stations or maybe some old bridges/overpasses, but they should be clearly marked.
17’ maybe the rule in your state, but as others have pointed out, Federal law is 13’-6” which is what most states follow.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
17’ maybe the rule in your state, but as others have pointed out, Federal law is 13’-6” which is what most states follow.
Federal Highway Specs:

Vertical clearance: Minimum vertical clearance under overhead structures (including over the paved shoulders) of 16 feet (4.9 m) in rural areas and 14 feet (4.3 m) in urban areas, with allowance for extra layers of pavement. Through urban areas at least one routing should have 16-foot (4.9 m) clearances. Sign supports and pedestrian overpasses must be at least 17 feet (5.2 m) above the road, except on urban routes with lesser clearance, where they should be at least 1 foot (30 cm) higher than other objects.

13'6" is vehicle height maximum.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I use a Garmin 760LMT gps that takes your height, weight and length to keep you out of trouble. No issues so far. Do I trust it 100%? No. It did warn me of a weight limit on a country bridge once
I have the dezl 780 LMTS and you should not trust it 100%. It tried to take me down a back road that I knew for sure I should not be on and it tried to get me off of a Highway that had hundreds of tractor trailers on it. Overall is it great... but know your route.
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
From talking with a truck driver friend, the 13’6” is federal law. If you are higher than that and would hit an underpass or others damage you will be liable.
I had a trucker friend tell me the same thing.

At 13'10", my friend already scraped at a gas station island that was marked 13"6'. Worst part is, the dealer never told him that he was running high than 13'6". They installed the hitch in his truck so they can't claim ignorance.....

If he did serious damage to that gas station, I suspect his insurance would not have covered him.

-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #35

It is up to you to know what the height of the rig is. DO NOT rely on mfg specs!!!!!!

The mfg makes a product that meets the regulations. But, they do not pick which truck you choose to tow it with. In my case I knew that I would be nose high when I started (with a stock truck). That is my problem, not the mfg.

Yes, the mfg 'could' spend extra money to make things easier, but, they won't. It is up to you. If another mfg makes a product that is set up 'better' then buy from another mfg. That might make the mfgs all do better. Or get a unit without the optional AC and have the dealer install a low profile one.

With the high beds of pickups today many people are towing at or over the max height restrictions of the fed/state. What that means is you have to be diligent and watch those warning signs.

Same with length restrictions on some highways. Quite a few US highways have length restrictions that you need to pay attention to, even if you are within fed/state max length restrictions.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #36

Maximum vehicle height on the Cimmeron and Kilpatrick turnpikes in OK is posted at 13’ 6”.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #37

My desk, at work, is by a window, overlooking a busy stretch of I-75, about 100 feet away.

This gives me an opportunity to watch all the various rigs go by, and I'm frequently amazed by how many - especially 5th-wheels - are tail-dragging, easily two or three feet variation, front-to-back.

Quite aside from the stability issues, in some cases even a good speed-bump is going to have the rear bumper shooting sparks...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #38

Mine is 13'4" with a low profile A/C in front. Tow with GMC 4x4. I would think it should also have the low profile A/C.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #39

My North Point 377RLBH is 13'3" when level. It's 13'4" when towing on my Automated Safety Hitch. I brought it home from the dealer, and took it camping the first time before I got the ASH. Then, it was on a PullRite slider, mounted on the standard RAM "picture frame" puck system, in my stock-height RAM 2500, and it was 13'8"..... The picture frame puck system adds between 2" and 3" to the overall height.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
My desk, at work, is by a window, overlooking a busy stretch of I-75, about 100 feet away.

This gives me an opportunity to watch all the various rigs go by, and I'm frequently amazed by how many - especially 5th-wheels - are tail-dragging, easily two or three feet variation, front-to-back.

Quite aside from the stability issues, in some cases even a good speed-bump is going to have the rear bumper shooting sparks...
That is a huge angle on the trailer. The rear axle must be heavily overloaded.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote