Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

Oxidation

I have a 2017 5th wheel that i purchase last year new last year on the top of the front is Oxidized and is fading already. Is this common?
wneill20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Team

This is a common problem on the dark caps, industry wide. Just use the forum search for "oxidation"...

You have a 2 year warranty that will cover the problem. We opted not to get the cap redone in the dark brown and had the dealership service center computer match the side light color and paint the cap the same color. BIG difference in the cap temperature and the inside temp behind the cap.

- You will need to take pictures of the oxidation.
- Send an email ASAP with the pictures to service@jayco.com with your VIN number and ask them what steps you need to take to get the problem resolved. This way the issue is documented with Jayco.
- They will send you to a dealer and they will work with Jayco to get it taken care of.
Do not go to the dealer first as they will drag their feet in getting the back to Jayco, and it could add months to the timeframe

We were one of the original ones to encounter the problem and get it resolved. One thing to note, ALL the GELL COAT needs to be sanded down to the fiberglass or the oxidation will eventually seep through the new paint.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #3

Thanks
What really concerns me is mine is a light Tan on the Cap. I will do as advise Thanks Again
wneill20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

Apparently this is a very common problem and Jayco is well aware of it. Mine faded out in less than 2 years and they had it repainted under warranty. There are way too many that they have repaired under warranty for them to deny anyone that is under 2 years old. My only worry is that it might happen again. I intend to wax it every 3 months to protect it against UVs.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #5

I have a 2017 28.5 I bought used and its starting to fad up by the marker lights on the very top corners. I keep it plenty waxed but in time I am going to get hit with the repair on my nickel. My bud bought a used 26.5 a few years older than me and hes already had his re-painted and looks great. Cost him a little under a grand.

Its a dam shame the RV industry still uses this lousey way to color the caps. Its a known problem that causes most people problems. They must recover all there warranty work from the vendor so they must not care that we all eventually get this issue and have to pay money. Quite the shame!
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #6

I have a advertisement from Jayco at location.

https://www.jayco.com/lfw-lp/pdf/fro...2RWGTlLbX7T_CI

that states : Most fifth wheels in the industry use paint-infused fiberglass front caps—which are can fade in the sun and develop a chalky feel months after purchase. We’ve eliminated these concerns on our Luxury Fifth Wheels with fully painted and clear-coated front caps. In fact, we’re one of the few companies in the industry that takes both of these extra steps to ensure that your caps look great for years to come.

Here is an article in The National Law Review stating that Express warranties such as the advertisement below are affirmative promises about the quality and features of the goods being sold. Illinois courts have found that brochures and advertisements may constitute express warranties.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article...ential-damages
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Front cap.png  
and
2 Zuchons or ( Beesh&*s) named Maggie and Bullet
silveradoboomer is offline   Reply With Quote