Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #21

I wonder what a wrap like they do on bass boats would be like? You can get them in any design you want.
Kennessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Mine was two years old in March and is starting to oxidize from the roof line down about 18 inches so far. I am going to take photos and send to Jayco and throw myself upon the kindness of strangers. Hope it works.
The fading cap has been an issue for several years. It will be interesting to see if Jayco will still stand behind the fading cap after the two year warranty has lapsed. You should be able to find old posts of folks that had their cap repainted after their original warranty ran out. The posts will most likely be before Thor bought out Jayco. Jayco is not the only manufacture that has a problem with fading dark color caps.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
The fading cap has been an issue for several years. It will be interesting to see if Jayco will still stand behind the fading cap after the two year warranty has lapsed. You should be able to find old posts of folks that had their cap repainted after their original warranty ran out. The posts will most likely be before Thor bought out Jayco. Jayco is not the only manufacture that has a problem with fading dark color caps.
If you look at fading caps thread 05-24-2015, 01:22 PM you will find some caps were painted after the warranty ran out.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #24

Well I re-cleared the top 1/3 of my cap from where the clear was worn away but hadnt got into the color yet. Gave it 3 coats, let it dry a few days and hand buffed it and it looks great. I will see how long that lasts. If it doesnt last that long I will buy a sprayer rather than just using a shaker can and tape/paper the whole front cap and do it the right way. I think the key is to get on it when it first starts before it goes through the color and gets into the gel coat.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #25

Skijlw I think we all understand the problem with 2013 thru 2014 brown color caps fade and oxidation issues and yes theses were covered under Jayco and all other rig manufactures with brown caps. It was the paint manfactures problem with formula they used and they we're the ones that covered the repainting charges through the rig manufactures.

But my cap is tan / beige and this color was used on 2015 and 2016 models. So my problem is I only have partial fading / oxidation from the roof line down about 18 inches. Why is this happening to the tan / beige color? You would think the paint manfactures and rig manufactures would of learned from this same issue in the 2013 and 2014 caps. I would of Clear Coated my cap the day after I took delivery from my dealer if I only new.

Faded!

MarkoClick image for larger version

Name:	20190605_090615.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	50464Click image for larger version

Name:	20180911_105316.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	50465
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #26

The way I understand the build process for the caps is there is a mold. The first thing is they spray the clear coat into the mold. Then they spray the color. Then the Gel Coat and when dry its peeled out of the mold. So as the trailer ages the first thing that goes is the clear coat due to the sun/UV or just driving down the road and when you clean it. So the first thing that wears away is the clear coat. You have to really look at the cap on angles to see this happening. Then the color goes next and when that happens your into the Gel coat and its end of story. So I think in any scenario a few coats of clear would never hurt and would prolong the fading issue which is what I just did with my 2017.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #27

Jim Smith can you tell the brand name of the Clear Coat you used?

Marko
Old 06-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #28

It was a clear I got at home depot. I had to look for one that wasnt just for wood and wasnt just for interior use. I will take a picture of it later today when I am back over by the 5th wheel.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #29

Here is what I used. After cleaning I did 2 lite coats and then a third heavy coat. I did get some curtains on the third coat but used my finger to pat/flatten them down and they dried fine. There is still a little frosting around the edges from the spray but I didnt feel like wet sanding and buffing and IMO looks just fine. All the scalloped clear that was missing is now gone and I have a high gloss shine again.
Attached Thumbnails
20190609_111958_resized.jpg   20190609_111910_resized.jpg   20190609_111902_resized.jpg  
Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Here is what I used. After cleaning I did 2 lite coats and then a third heavy coat. I did get some curtains on the third coat but used my finger to pat/flatten them down and they dried fine. There is still a little frosting around the edges from the spray but I didnt feel like wet sanding and buffing and IMO looks just fine. All the scalloped clear that was missing is now gone and I have a high gloss shine again.
Hi
Did you clear coat over the decals?
I have same color and it is oxidized along top edge. Jayco is covering the sand and clear coat of whole cap. Provided new decals. Shop doing work is painting at my cost. Just wondering if clearcoat over decals is a good idea?

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #31

My areas that needed a touch up were mainly in the top corners and some in the center down about half way to the front decal. I didnt spray the decal because if I had to buff stuff out I didnt want to burn through the edges. I dont think it would have hurt at all to spray over them though.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #32

Jim Smyth can you tell us what product you used?

Marko
Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Jim Smyth can you tell us what product you used?

Marko

See post #29.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #34

Jim Smyth did you try Meguiars oxidation remover first?

Marko
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #35

2014 Jayco Eagle

My dark brown cap faded at the top . Looked terrible as they all do .Jayco paid to have the whole cap painted and new decals . No Hassel at all . Camper was three years old.
popop49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #36

Poppop49 we are not talking about the brown color cap. We are talking about the Tan / Beige color cap made in 2015 and 2016. Brown Color cap issue has been discussed.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #37

Two thoughts:

If you’re going to just clear coat over what’s there, I’d suggest a solvent wipe with denatured alcohol then apply automotive clear lacquer, available in rattle cans from auto parts stores like O’Riley or from automotive paint suppliers. It dries quickly and can be recoated in minutes plus cars are meant to live outside so you aren’t asking it to do anything it isn’t meant to do.

If you want to repaint or change the color, consider high quality one part marine paint from Jamestown Distributors (or similar). You can roll and tip it and get a good glossy paint job without spraying (there are some tutorials on their website and YouTube).

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=64351
captainbrad1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #38

I have the same issue with my 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS. Shame on Jayco for the inferior production and failing to remedy the problem with its customers!
Gusto_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #39

Gusto-man I take it you have the new light grey color? Correct?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Does that have UV protection like automotive clear coat?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote