Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #41

Dang Tapatalk won't let me edit the previous post, but I think everyone would be better off using a true 2 part (2k) clear. The hardening catalyst and UV protection features of automotive paint are more likely to be what we are after.

Protection with a filtered respirator is required.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Jim Smyth did you try Meguiars oxidation remover first?
Marko

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Does that have UV protection like automotive clear coat?

Yes
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #43

FYI, picked up my 2018 Eagle 321RSTS and it has this same condition, about the top 18inches, from sitting in the lot. John at Jayco Customer Service told me this IS covered under the warranty and they will authorize re-painting the front cap with new decals, etc. if necessary. I just took in in to Blade RV in Mt. Vernon today for their evaluation and whether they can bring back the luster to this top area or not, since the rest looks fine. We shall see. I'm inclined to believe this is just on the surface and someone with expertise could possibly use rubbing compound, then polish, etc. but I guess it depends on how the top coat (if there is one) is applied. Sorry I haven't read the 5 pages of responses yet... so mainly wanted to encourage you to hold Jayco accountable and if it costs them money they will improve the process.
vrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #44

Jayco went through this in the build of the 2013 - 2014 with the Brown Nose Cap . You would think they would of learned. Apparently not as it is happening in my 2016 nose cap in the Tan / Beige color. Now hearing it has effected 2017 through 2019 Light Gray nose cap leads me to believe new owners of Jayco (Thor) just don't care. If your buying a new fifth wheel Clear Coat the nose cap after you take delivery.....

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #45

They dont care. If they did they would have corrected it years ago. It must be cheaper to have to repaint the few that complain compared to the thousands that dont or notice it too late. Such a shame!
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:01 AM   #46

How true. Hope more owners and potentially new owners read this post and act accordingly. Hate being burned.

Jayco / Thor please change or lose more customers.

Marko
Old 06-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #47

How do you do clear coat process? Can you do yourself? We have a new 2019 317RLOK and I’d like to do now before issues. Thanks
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #48

Did you ask you dealer for a quote. My dealer here in Illinois quoted me $1200.00 to clear coat the whole nose cap. I am also talking with a local truck body shop as well.

BTW I am out of warranty with Jayco.

MarkoClick image for larger version

Name:	20190614_082400.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	50675Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_082305.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	50676
Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #49

I too have the fading dark brown cap on a Jayco 2015 Eagle HT 26.5 RLS. Wished I had known this when I bought it. Only option now is get repainted. I`m going to call Jayco to see if they will help since this is a known issue. Wish me luck, I'll update with what they say..
Penner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #50

My 2018 that I purchased last September started to fade a few months ago. I held off calling the dealer because we have had a lot going on this year and I was dreading the process of having it taken care of. I called the dealer where I purchased it from 2 weeks ago. The woman I talked to in the service department without hesitation said that Jayco knows that there is an issue and send a few pictures and she'll get the process started with them(Jayco). I sent her pics right away and she called me back shortly after and said that there shouldn't be a problem and that she was going to order the decals. Six days later she called me back and said that Jayco green lighted it and they had an opening in the body shop. I took it to them on Saturday and she said 1 1/2 to 2 weeks and it would be ready. Even though the dealer I bought from is 150 miles away from me, I'm extremely happy that it was a pain free experience. BTW, she did say that I could have it fixed at a dealer closer to me but I honestly don't trust anybody in my area to fix it right.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #51
KFM

I am having the same front cap clear coat deterioration. I am taking our 2018 Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK to Jayco in July for some warranty frame repairs. They are going to repair the front cap as well up to a $1500 repair. I was told that this is a RV industry issue and not just Jayco. You would think that as long as this problem has been occurring and the associated warranty cost by manufactures, that the supplier would have been demanded to provide a better product.
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #52

Just got ours back today. Looks good with the new paint job. Just waiting for the stickers to arrive to take it back on for the install. Total was $4,700. Thankfully they covered it under warranty
Jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonc View Post
Just got ours back today. Looks good with the new paint job. Just waiting for the stickers to arrive to take it back on for the install. Total was $4,700. Thankfully they covered it under warranty
My brand new replacement stickers lasted a couple of weeks. They are now pealing. They will have to be done again.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
My brand new replacement stickers lasted a couple of weeks. They are now pealing. They will have to be done again.
More info:. I was told Jayco (now Thor) stopped using 3M stickers.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Here is what I used. After cleaning I did 2 lite coats and then a third heavy coat. I did get some curtains on the third coat but used my finger to pat/flatten them down and they dried fine. There is still a little frosting around the edges from the spray but I didnt feel like wet sanding and buffing and IMO looks just fine. All the scalloped clear that was missing is now gone and I have a high gloss shine again.
Thank you sooooo much. My 2019 Eagle TT is almost a year old and already starting to discolor on the top of the cap where the sun hits it directly. Don’t really want to turn in a warranty claim. Did you spray your whole cap or just the top part? When did you do it and how is it holding up? Thanx again. I totally trust Rustoleum.
Grandpawlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #56

My experience this is a never ending issue . I have used all types of oxidation cures ha ha and it very temporary . Paint and clear coat ? and then you have to maintain due to the elements.

Terry
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #57

Since Jayco has sold off to Thor it appears quality went out the window. We still have our 2005 Designer and even at 15 years old it has been very trouble free and still looks good. I do maintain it well (lots of work). I have looked to a new paint job entire rig $20,000 and that includes painted on striping not decals. the sides are good shape just end caps need repainted.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #58

Corvr. $20,000.00 to paint your whole coach? Is that typo? $20,000.00 that's allot of money. Or did I misunderstand?

Marko
Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpawlee View Post
Thank you sooooo much. My 2019 Eagle TT is almost a year old and already starting to discolor on the top of the cap where the sun hits it directly. Don’t really want to turn in a warranty claim. Did you spray your whole cap or just the top part? When did you do it and how is it holding up? Thanx again. I totally trust Rustoleum.
Just curious why would you not want Jayco/dealer to fix a brand new trailer? You paid for that warranty.

I would also venture a guess that if you call Rustoleum and ask; they will tell you to use their automotive clear coat for this application instead of the interior/exterior clear product.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #60

KFM, if you are under warranty, why are they only allowing you $1500 to paint the front cap? Are you responsible for the rest of the cost?
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote