Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #1

Oxidation on Cap 2016 Eagle Fifth Wheel

I have a 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS with a oxidation (paint / gel coat fade) issue at the top of my front cap or about 18 inches from top connecting point where the cap meets the roof. This fade is across the width of the cap. Anybody else experiencing this ? If so how did you repair it?

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Welcome to the club....seems like most of us have had the same problem of pre mature deterioration of the clear coat on the caps of our FW. You can buff out the dry, faded spots, and wax it but it won't be a satisfactory or lasting solution. The only real fix is to have it repainted. Luckily mine was still under warranty and Jayco did it no charge. They also replaced all the decals on the cap. It's an industry wide problem and surprising that these manufacturers don't solve the problem.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

It's not a clear coat, it's Gel Coat. It's part of the fiberglass process. Cheap materials in RV gel coating is whats causing it. That and the darker colors are more susceptible. Only way to remedy it is to have it painted. Buffing and polishing only gives temporary relief.
Many MFG's use the same few cap makers, thus the wide range of brands that are affected.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #4

Hopefully I can stay ahead of the problem in my 2017 291rsts.

I have alternating about every 4 months between 303 UV protectant and 303 UV protectant and wax combo. I’ll probably keep it looking good just long enough for the warranty to expire, lol.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
It's not a clear coat, it's Gel Coat. It's part of the fiberglass process. Cheap materials in RV gel coating is whats causing it. That and the darker colors are more susceptible. Only way to remedy it is to have it painted. Buffing and polishing only gives temporary relief.
Many MFG's use the same few cap makers, thus the wide range of brands that are affected.
I thought it was Gelcoat also but have been corrected by many that claim Jayco uses a base coat/clear coat process. My Gelcoat boats have lasted a lot longer than these trailer caps have. Either way, a rattle can paint job would last longer than the trailer manufacturers way of doing it.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

I am having the same problem with my 2017 on the top corners right now. So to me it looks like right now only the outer clear coat is being worn/washed away so I am hoping to stop its progress. I bought a can a high gloss exterior spray paint and once it stops raining here I am going to give those areas a few lights coats and see what it looks like. I have some body shop experience and can wet sand it if theres too much orange peal and I own a good buffer to shine it back up. Definitely needs to be stopped in its tracks.

*****Jayco if you ever read this stuff please stop this current gel coat process and try to build a better product regarding the front cap. I would gladly pay more for a real painted front cap up front on a new purchase. What your doing isnt working and your really pissing off the people that support you!*****
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I am having the same problem with my 2017 on the top corners right now. So to me it looks like right now only the outer clear coat is being worn/washed away so I am hoping to stop its progress. I bought a can a high gloss exterior spray paint and once it stops raining here I am going to give those areas a few lights coats and see what it looks like. I have some body shop experience and can wet sand it if theres too much orange peal and I own a good buffer to shine it back up. Definitely needs to be stopped in its tracks.

*****Jayco if you ever read this stuff please stop this current gel coat process and try to build a better product regarding the front cap. I would gladly pay more for a real painted front cap up front on a new purchase. What your doing isnt working and your really pissing off the people that support you!*****
I would like to second this request. Our 2017 Eagle 321rsts has oxidized. Jayco has authorized a sand and clearcoat. I am paying out of pocket to paint it myself.
Dang it Jayco you can do better and should for the price you want for these!
We have had a laundry list of stuff to deal with under warranty. This is our 4th Jayco since 2011. We like it. But not the issues.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #8

Has anyone considered a vinyl wrap on their cap?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Hows vinyl going to take bird strikes, stones and bugs and heavy sun uv?
Asking because I don't know?

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
I have, but the one and only company I spoke with said that the vinyl wrap comes in sheets that are 54" wide. The length is no problem, because it's on a roll. So you either need a horizontal seam or a vertical seam.

Again, that's only one place that I spoke to, maybe there are different sizes out there?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #11

I contacted two vinyl graphics companies today here in Illinois. They requested photos which I submitted and dimensions.
I ask for either a clear on tan color to match existing. I just want to do the top down to the top of the Jayco decale. I spend five months in Florida in direct sunlight for the last three years. This speed up the oxidation process I am sure.
So I will post their quotesClick image for larger version

Name:	20190605_090639.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	50362
Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #12

My Bud has a 2014 Jayco 26.5. He has the dark brown cap which started oxidizing after like 3 years. He dd the decal thing and it looked great. Was the top half of the Cap. Lasted 2 months and started rolling on the edges. He took it back and the people that put it on blamed the glue from the graphics company. Seems its always someone else's fault. He ended up getting a full refund and took it to a body shop and had it sanded and re painted. Still looks good and that was a few years back now. So make sure you get there warranty in writing.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 AM   #13

Clear coating the hole cap looks like the way to go. I have the tan / beige color nose cap . Decals are all in good shape. First estimate was from the dealer where I purchased my rig from $1200.00. Waiting on another estimate for a local truck body shop. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_090615.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	50379
Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #14

Had same thing on my 2014 31.5 RLTS. Was told across the industry it was a problem. Finish was lacking proper UV protectant. Jayco covered mine under warranty. I made all local arrangements and had it stripped down to bare fiberglass and repainted and clear coated.
esacnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #15

I had my Eagle Premier brown cap repainted. Less than 2 years later it started fading again. I had it repainted a second time with the same light color as the sides. Looks nice but Jayco would not spring for the original Eagle decal. They did supply a Jayco bird and name decal. The light color is a lot cooler inside.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #16

Mine is going in on Tuesday to be re done. Not quite 2 years old and was fading. They didn’t argue in covering it under warranty.
Jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #17

Quote:
I have seen a few vinyl caps in the last couple of years. The ones I have seen are a good fit and look like they are a good protector. I am sure a good canvas/boat top fabricator could do the job. The one I seen close up had snap fasteners
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #18

Mine took just over two years to start oxidating . Six months past two year warranty. If you buy new or if yours hasn't started to oxidate clear coat you nose cap as soon as possible.

Marko
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #19

Mine was two years old in March and is starting to oxidize from the roof line down about 18 inches so far. I am going to take photos and send to Jayco and throw myself upon the kindness of strangers. Hope it works.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:29 AM   #20

DMAC please let us all know how Jayco responds to your oxidation issue.. Make sure your under the two year warranty.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!?

Marko