Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Oxidation on front of camper

I have. 2014 Jayco touring eagle with terrible oxidation the front cap, (brown color)...I haven’t found anything to remove it with...even a buffer? Any ideas!
Thank Tbell
Tbell06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

Unfortunately painting is the only option.
BTDT with a different brand that had the dark brown cap. It's an industry wide issue meaning no brand is immune from it.
I lost count of how many times I buffed and waxed the front cap.
I did a 3 step process of 1st using Preta Gel Coat compound. Then 3M Finesse It 2, then several different waxes or polish. On the 1st two steps I used an RO buffer. The oxidation always came back about 6 weeks latter. I guess there's a reason that MFG's are going back to predominately white caps and sides.
I ended up getting the 5er painted the same lighter color to match the sides.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
CAG

Generally it is under the clear coat and no amount of buffing will get it out. The gel under the clear on many, many different brands of RVs lacked the proper UV and thus fade. Total removal and painting is about the only cure.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #4

Wow! Thanks guys! Looks like it’s gonna be a pfiject for sure!
Tbell06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #5

I have a 2013 eagle… The gelcoat front cap looked like it was ruined. Tried a detail shop looked good for a few months. When it degraded again, I tried the products from this company after doing a lot of research. Very easy to use; be sure to get the cleaner kit and scuff pads before using the polymer. I put about three coats on the gelcoat front cap using microfiber towels. That consumed a little over a third of the bottle; the stuff really works!

https://www.detailing.com/store/optimum-gel-coat-restorer-32-oz.html#:~:text=Additional%20Information%20%20%20M anufacturer%20Item%23%20%20,%20%20Volume%20%20%203 2%20oz%20
crappiejig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
CAG

Since I first added to this thread I talked with an RV paint and body guy who sees hundreds of these "oxidation" problems. In some cases people have bought the "treatment" that is supposed to be a protection for the finish. He said he gets many of those that have oxidized and has worked with the plan providers. Usually the insurance people want him to do a sand/buff and shine. He tells them that will not fix the issue but it they insist he does it and has the RV owner come back after a month. In every case he said the oxidation returns. Only then does the insurance/coating provider honor the warranty. Once oxidized there is no buff, polish, magic potent that will fix it.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

We had a 2014 Eagle TT with that the cap faded on. It was repaired by the dealer under warranty by having it painted by an auto body painter. Looked great afterwards. We traded into 2017 Eagle. The gray has held up well.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote