Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Oxidization

We purchased a 26.5 RLS new in Jan/2011
By the end of the first year the top half of the front fibreglass nose had become badly oxidized. A milky haze was very evident.
I have used Maquire's oxidation remover(#49)and then applied cleaner-wax(#50) numerous times but it never last more than month before showing signs of oxidization.
This unit is grey and looks terrible with the oxidation.
Anyone out there with similar issues?
Do you have any comments or solutions to offer?
Thanks in advance for any replies
dougm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

IS it oxidation? or is it crud from the rubber roof running off?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #3

dougm51 - I was just about ready to post the same issue. We bought a 26.5 rks last May and just over the past month I noticed discoloration at the top of the nose cone. I thought, like Seann45 had suggested, it was chalky runoff from the roof. Yesterday I washed and waxed it (which I do a couple times a year) with RV wash and wax. I paid careful attention to make sure I scrubbed the nose cone. Today, I noticed the discoloration was still there. I also looked at it at an angle to see if the finish was damaged, and that seemed good. We've only had the unit a year and it's starting to look like we've had it 10. I'll be curious to hear other responses. I plan on calling the dealer Tuesday and see if they have suggestions. I wonder if that section can be replaced under warranty?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #4

One other thing, since we're on the topic. It's probably just me being particular, but has anyone noticed a fading of the assist handle and the brackets holding it to the RV? It's still black, but instead of glossy, it's a dull black. I know fading can be expected over time, but it's only been 1 year. I live in NY, not AZ.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

I Just purchased a New year old model 2012 23.5 Eagle HT and I also have the same problem. Its defiantly oxidization.
JBlackmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #6

Fading nose cone 23.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlongley View Post
One other thing, since we're on the topic. It's probably just me being particular, but has anyone noticed a fading of the assist handle and the brackets holding it to the RV? It's still black, but instead of glossy, it's a dull black. I know fading can be expected over time, but it's only been 1 year. I live in NY, not AZ.
I bought a 23.5 last year 2012, this year I notice the same issue as you have. I did the same cleaned and waxed, and it looked better. When I got to the front, top, center of the cone I noticed it actually cracking. Not just one, all over in a square foot area. Fading I could take, but not this. It is still under warranty, so my dealer talked to Jayco. They sent a replacement nose cone. Great, replace a nose cone on a year old RV. Not happy with this kind of repair a year into owning the RV. Jayco did have concerns and appears to be doing right by me. This is my first Jayco, I always considered it a top brand. I am beginning to have doubts about that. I also have the fading Assist handle, have had to repair furnace vents, air mattress folding bed, Black tank valve, several veneer pieces, nose cone, and repair to awning. My dealer is great about the fixes, and Jayco has been reactive. I just don't think I should have problems with a brand new RV.
davehayati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Is the oxidization happening on all colored caps, or only the darker colored caps? Mine is dark brown and it is now pure white on the top of the cap. Nothing seems to be helping..
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #8

Oxidation on Jayco Pinnacle

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue. Has anyone contacted their dealer for a solution? I plan on calling this morning.
SMaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #9

Noticed the oxidation on mine before I took delivery, 2013 on the lot for a year. He contacted Jayco and they agreed for a repaint. Just got all of the graphics installed and will pick up on Friday. The repaint looks great. Dealer said Jayco is aware of the issue and it was no problem getting it approved. Looking at other forums this problem is not isolated to the Jayco brand. Good luck getting it repaired.

It is amazing what sun can do to plastic and other pieces on the RVs

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #10

Oxidation on nose cap

Thanks
Did contact dealer and they were very accommodating and will inspect entire roof and rear cap since warranty runs out next month
Was wondering why Jack went with the dark caps, black awnings and A/C units, although I love the color scheme we live in Texas and the awnings get real warm in the sun.
will keeping posting on progress, let me know how yours turns out.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #11

Meant Jayco darn auto correct on phones!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #12

I had the same discoloration on my HT. Contacted the dealer during two-year warranty and Jayco approved the repainting without any issues. Hopefully, the paint job done by a local paint company will last a heck of a lot longer than the factory paint job.