Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #1

Parasitic Battery Drain

WE have a 2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS. When not connected to shore power (in storage) and with the battery disconnect disconnected in front street-side bay, I have some parasitic battery drain I'm trying to track down.

I've brought the battery home to charge and it's showing 13.4v. It's a Interstate Deep Cycle lead acid battery, single battery. Came with the unit.

Are there known parasitic drains on the battery with these coaches even with the disconnect switch off? I've even removed the red key from the disconnect just to make sure it disconnects. I know it's killing some power as the front bay lights power off when disconnected.

Any help appreciated...
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Even a battery disconnected has a slight drain. So it is better to be constant plugged into shore-power or remove the battery and charge at home with an intelligent charger.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Even a battery disconnected has a slight drain. So it is better to be constant plugged into shore-power or remove the battery and charge at home with an intelligent charger.
Absolutely. Before this 5er, we had a Whitehawk 27 DSRL for 5 years and I installed a disconnect on the battery box. I could leave that battery on the rig for the entire season as long as I used the disconnect switch. Now the 5er battery is dead 2 days after it's in storage.

I may just install a blade switch on the battery itself and rely on that.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Team

There are parasitic drains like CO/LP alarm and radio, etc, but 2 days? That might be something else. My rig did not have a battery cutoff and I added a blade cut off switch on the battery.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #5

Some of the 5vers still have a parasite power drain. Couple things that have been discussed in the past, JCommand, Smart Control, auto leveler (hitch height memory), It might be part of JCommand, but if you have a remote for the slide system, awning, etc, that controller usually is not disconnected.

You may need to add or relocated the battery disconnect to fully disconnect everything. Just remember to keep the power cable for the emergency brakes, connected directly to the battery power supply. The E-Brakes need power incase of an accident, and you come uncoupled. By law they have to have backup power (rv battery) every time you tow. So bypass the disconnect switch for this item.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Some of the 5vers still have a parasite power drain. Couple things that have been discussed in the past, JCommand, Smart Control, auto leveler (hitch height memory), It might be part of JCommand, but if you have a remote for the slide system, awning, etc, that controller usually is not disconnected.

You may need to add or relocated the battery disconnect to fully disconnect everything. Just remember to keep the power cable for the emergency brakes, connected directly to the battery power supply. The E-Brakes need power incase of an accident, and you come uncoupled. By law they have to have backup power (rv battery) every time you tow. So bypass the disconnect switch for this item.
Of course, except if your battery is dead and hasn't charged long enough from the TV, then the e-brakes are useless.

I wouldn't tow with the battery disconnected. It's only for storage.

Since you mentioned J-Command... I bet that's it.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #7

I installed another battery disconnect in my battery compartment just past the battery so I know kill all power. The disconnect switch Jayco installs does not kill all the power.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #8

I installed a true battery disconnect off the negative battery terminal. When it's activated there is no parasitic drain. The brakes only need a power source when towing. In storage there is no issue with the battery being fully disconnected.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #9

In my case, the connected items (with the main disconnect off) are the CO detector, the brakes and the slide controller.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #10

+1 on adding a separate (true) battery disconnect. I added a full battery disconnect in addition to the factory non-"disconnect" The Eagle disconnect has multiple constant power cables. Schematic is here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery power cutoff schematic.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	64343
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
When not connected to shore power (in storage) and with the battery disconnect disconnected in front street-side bay, I have some parasitic battery drain I'm trying to track down.

I've brought the battery home to charge and it's showing 13.4v. It's a Interstate Deep Cycle lead acid battery, single battery. Came with the unit.
Quote:
Now the 5er battery is dead 2 days after it's in storage.
It might not be parasitic drains, but a bad battery. If you're measuring 13.4 when it comes off the charger, then it's dead after two days, there's something else going on.

How many times have you killed it? If it's been more than a couple of times, it's toast. Lead acid batteries that have been flat-lined a few times lose all their ability to hold a charge. I would do a load test on that battery to see what it really looks like.

Just because it's a "newer" battery means nothing. Jayco and the dealers are notorious for killing batteries on the lot. I had to replace both my chassis battery and the coach battery on my rig shortly after bringing it home, because they wouldn't hold a charge.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:52 AM   #12

I use this solar, it never fail me yet ever time I go out to my fiver the solar keep it up to a level that I can run my slides and let down and up my jacks. This is a life saver, the one thing that got me is when my wife and I went out to our fiver to go on our trip I was out their for over an hour trying to charge my batteries now I don't have that problem.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3570.JPG   DSCN3572.JPG   DSCN3571.JPG  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
+1 on adding a separate (true) battery disconnect. I added a full battery disconnect in addition to the factory non-"disconnect" The Eagle disconnect has multiple constant power cables. Schematic is here:
Attachment 64343
Interesting my front landing legs seemed to be on the switched side of 12v.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Interesting my front landing legs seemed to be on the switched side of 12v.
Yeah, expecting the Jayco installers to follow documentation is a stretch....

You might want to take a look at the back of your existing cutoff to see what else isn't where it is supposed to be.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #15

Does it have the BmPro? If so thats the drain. For some reason it has a small drain on the battery. I did what Big1 did with the solar panel and cured the problem. There is a BmPro thread on here about the issue.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
Does it have the BmPro? If so thats the drain. For some reason it has a small drain on the battery. I did what Big1 did with the solar panel and cured the problem. There is a BmPro thread on here about the issue.
No BmPro, have JCommand bluetooth. I did find the power leads to the ceiling Winegard Gateway router is always powered.

Blade switch now installed on the battery.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #17

It's the JComand. Try to turn the switch off in the battery compartment (push blue bottom) and that is the same as you disconnect the black (negative) cable.
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman0109 View Post
It's the JComand. Try to turn the switch off in the battery compartment (push blue bottom) and that is the same as you disconnect the black (negative) cable.
Not familiar with any blue button in the battery compartment. Got a photo?
Nissan Titan <- Fleetwood Sea Pine Popup / JayFeather X23J / Whitehawk 27 DSRL
RAM 1500 HEMI <- Whitehawk 27 DSRL
RAM 3500 TD <- Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS
Old 10-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #19

This is the 12 volt distribution on our North Point with wiring info provided by Jayco support.
I'm going to see if I can move all but the break away switch to the battery switched side but I'll have to decide how to move the re-settable breakers for those lines.
Attached Thumbnails
20200926_152705.jpg   20200926_152741.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 202010060745.pdf (2.53 MB, 14 views)

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #20

Battery Drain

Quote:
WE have a 2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS. When not connected to shore power (in storage) and with the battery disconnect disconnected in front street-side bay, I have some parasitic battery drain I'm trying to track down.

Are there known parasitic drains on the battery with these coaches even with the disconnect switch off? I've even removed the red key from the disconnect just to make sure it disconnects. I know it's killing some power as the front bay lights power off when disconnected.

Any help appreciated...
I had the same problem and I installed a marine battery cut-off switch in the battery negative line (line between battery negative terminal and the RV frame ground connection). Now I can store for long periods without battery drain.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote