Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #1

Parasitic battery drain fix

A topic discussed many times. I may have a solution that doesn't require adding a cut out switch at the battery. This should provide full cut out at the factory battery cut out switch.

The main 12 volt cable from the battery goes through a manual reset breaker, sized based on the trailer and it's loads. It then feeds 2 buss bars. One is on the switched side and one stays powered at all times. If you can locate these buss bars, a wiring diagram should be displayed near by. My buss bars and diagram were located in the front compartment, above the battery box. I had to enter the left side of the compartment and look above the battery box.

The one item that must remain powered at all times is the safety break away switch. I plan to remove that wire from the un-switched bus and install a Bussmann CBC-20HB Circuit Breaker (Type I Heavy Duty Automotive with Stud Terminals and Bracket - 20 A)
to feed the breakaway switch.

I will then disconnect the bus feed from the un-switched side of the cut out switch and move it to the switched side so that all 12 volt lines except the break away line will be disconnected when the cut out switch is in the off position.
I plan to display a modified schematic near the buss bars for anyone doing future checks in this area.

Any advice or cautions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
12 volt distribution.jpg  

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #2

Photo added.
Left buss bar is un-switched. Right buss bar is switched.
Attached Thumbnails
20200926_152720.jpg  

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

I have been undoing the nutts on the battery when I park it for over a month. After reading a few threads like this I just ordered a Battery disconnect knife blade switch and will be installing it when it comes in. Should make it alot easier to manage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-Hea...53.m2749.l2649
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I have been undoing the nutts on the battery when I park it for over a month. After reading a few threads like this I just ordered a Battery disconnect knife blade switch and will be installing it when it comes in. Should make it alot easier to manage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-Hea...53.m2749.l2649

Many have installed a disconnect at the battery. I've been unscrewing the ground side nut on the battery and removing the ground cables but would like to eliminate the need to go into the front compartment all together. Just open the propane access door and use the factory cut off switch as it was intended. Our previous SOB worked that way.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Old 10-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #5

When I turn my battery cut off switch to off there still multiple items being powered drawing down the battery. When I park for the season or for a longer period I want to make sure the battery has juice when I come back. Doing it at the battery is 100% full proof. Yours is too complex or my brain. ;-)
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #6

Jim Smyth. I understand and your method will be 100% disconnect. I have a Klein DC clamp meter that measures DC current at the battery cable. There was a 1 amp draw with the factory cut off switch turned off. I will be measuring again after my mod and should see zero amps draw. I too want complete disconnect and this should do it. The breakaway switch won't draw power unless activated.

2020 North Point 315RLTS