Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2020, 04:33 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
KWDAILYD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Crown Point (LAKE)
Posts: 103
parking at home

what does everyone use to put under their tires when parking your 5th wheel on your asphalt drive at home. I've been using treated 2x12's 5 ft. long but after a couple of years of parking it in the same place it is leaving depressions. I know trying to not park it in the same place all the time is a solution but that doesn't work well in my situation. I'm limited on space. The 2x12's even start to bow after awhile. Maybe I should cut out the section of asphalt where the 2x12's have been and dig it out some and pour concrete in that space. Do the same where the landing gear sit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what your solution was.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
WeRJuliian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 713
Concrete pavers might work
Over time, they will probably sink into the asphalt, at least partially, but won't involve digging.
__________________
IanP, the man from Scotland
Julie, the Lady From Little Rock

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
sturgissteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: SW Lower Michigan
Posts: 1,036
Wonder if use something with a larger footprint, so as to spread the weight further out, than say, just the length and width of the 2x12's? Suppose depending on the weight and the outdoor temperatures, eventually you may run into the same issue down the road. Have concrete pads poured for the area in question? Maybe just a couple of 10" wide pads by 10' (or whatever) would work and it would support the weight and problem solved. Just a thought, or two.
__________________
John & Jennifer
2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH - Making Memories
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'- Fond Memories
1996 Coachman Catalina 25' - Fond Memories
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp - Fond Memories
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GABob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 263
I purchased a large 3/4 inch rubber mat and cut it down for the front and rear tires on my C. I use them when I park it in storage, and just recently had to use them to help level at a site.
__________________
2019 Entegra Odyssey 31L
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
what does everyone use to put under their tires when parking your 5th wheel on your asphalt drive at home. I've been using treated 2x12's 5 ft. long but after a couple of years of parking it in the same place it is leaving depressions. I know trying to not park it in the same place all the time is a solution but that doesn't work well in my situation. I'm limited on space. The 2x12's even start to bow after awhile. Maybe I should cut out the section of asphalt where the 2x12's have been and dig it out some and pour concrete in that space. Do the same where the landing gear sit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what your solution was.
I use large strips of pressure treated plywood under the tires and have snap pads on the stabilizer jacks, no depressions in my new driveway pad after a year.
__________________
2019 Eagle 355MBQS with a long list of modifications
2018 GMC 3500 Turbo Diesel DRW
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 2,295
I park on the same place in white rock drive. I use a 2 x 6 about 3 feet long. After a year or two I replace it. For you, maybe a 2 2 x 10 or 12s three feet long stacked would spread the load. Plus, I take up a little weight with the stabilizers and some jack stands but I keep the tires on the ground with most of the weight on them.
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
Andersen WDH hitch
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 951
Brick pavers wont work either. Concrete. I poured concrete along side my garage 18 years ago when I had the house built. The downspout for the garage just emptied on that apron and ran off. In the winter it would ice over something terrible and you'd kill yourself on it. So I saw cut just over 4" of it out and ran 4" PVC out into the yard for drainage. I compacted the heck out of the dirt and slagrock and installed brick pavers in the seam. You can tell where my 5th wheel tracks because those pavers are lower than the concrete and the other pavers. I pulled them up again this year to add the slagrock to those pavers to bring back to level and they are still being squished lower. As far as that goes, I just deal with it. But where the 5th wheel sits the concrete has never moved.
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 951
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_153136.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	63835
Heres what I'm talking about.
When I first installed all this I used a 4" drain tile. Big mistake. It lasted like 15 years but this past year it wasn't draining well because it was all clogged up with dirt and debris. That's why i switched it over to a PVC pipe. Much better.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
KWDAILYD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Crown Point (LAKE)
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Brick pavers wont work either. Concrete. I poured concrete along side my garage 18 years ago when I had the house built. The downspout for the garage just emptied on that apron and ran off. In the winter it would ice over something terrible and you'd kill yourself on it. So I saw cut just over 4" of it out and ran 4" PVC out into the yard for drainage. I compacted the heck out of the dirt and slagrock and installed brick pavers in the seam. You can tell where my 5th wheel tracks because those pavers are lower than the concrete and the other pavers. I pulled them up again this year to add the slagrock to those pavers to bring back to level and they are still being squished lower. As far as that goes, I just deal with it. But where the 5th wheel sits the concrete has never moved.
Looks like I may need to remove some asphalt and pour some strips of concrete and maybe a couples of squares of concrete under the landing gear. I do put the rear stabilizers down also bit after owning this 3 years and parking on the same spot when it's home the asphalt has depressions in it. The 5th wheel weighs 11,015 lbs with both propane tanks filled from the factory according to the sticker on the RV. Of course there is more weight from items we leave in it. I leave the 2x12's in place when we leave on a trip and just back up on them again when we return so it's always in the same place.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
BeachRetreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Davenport
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
Looks like I may need to remove some asphalt and pour some strips of concrete and maybe a couples of squares of concrete under the landing gear. I do put the rear stabilizers down also bit after owning this 3 years and parking on the same spot when it's home the asphalt has depressions in it. The 5th wheel weighs 11,015 lbs with both propane tanks filled from the factory according to the sticker on the RV. Of course there is more weight from items we leave in it. I leave the 2x12's in place when we leave on a trip and just back up on them again when we return so it's always in the same place.
I have the same issue with our 20,000lb triple axle fifth wheel. I do the same with 2x12s and have a set on one side built up to level it. There are depressions in the wheel tracks and at each leveler. I knew when we paved the driveway that this was going to be an issue. Everyone I talked to said the only choice was to pour a concrete pad where the camper sat. Unfortunately, I didn't know for sure at the time where that was going to be.
__________________
2017 Seismic 4114
2016 Chevrolet 3500 CC, DD DRW
1 Wife, 2 Kids under 12


Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.