Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2020, 04:33 AM   #1

parking at home

what does everyone use to put under their tires when parking your 5th wheel on your asphalt drive at home. I've been using treated 2x12's 5 ft. long but after a couple of years of parking it in the same place it is leaving depressions. I know trying to not park it in the same place all the time is a solution but that doesn't work well in my situation. I'm limited on space. The 2x12's even start to bow after awhile. Maybe I should cut out the section of asphalt where the 2x12's have been and dig it out some and pour concrete in that space. Do the same where the landing gear sit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what your solution was.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:37 AM   #2

Concrete pavers might work
Over time, they will probably sink into the asphalt, at least partially, but won't involve digging.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:19 AM   #3

Wonder if use something with a larger footprint, so as to spread the weight further out, than say, just the length and width of the 2x12's? Suppose depending on the weight and the outdoor temperatures, eventually you may run into the same issue down the road. Have concrete pads poured for the area in question? Maybe just a couple of 10" wide pads by 10' (or whatever) would work and it would support the weight and problem solved. Just a thought, or two.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #4

I purchased a large 3/4 inch rubber mat and cut it down for the front and rear tires on my C. I use them when I park it in storage, and just recently had to use them to help level at a site.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
what does everyone use to put under their tires when parking your 5th wheel on your asphalt drive at home. I've been using treated 2x12's 5 ft. long but after a couple of years of parking it in the same place it is leaving depressions. I know trying to not park it in the same place all the time is a solution but that doesn't work well in my situation. I'm limited on space. The 2x12's even start to bow after awhile. Maybe I should cut out the section of asphalt where the 2x12's have been and dig it out some and pour concrete in that space. Do the same where the landing gear sit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what your solution was.
I use large strips of pressure treated plywood under the tires and have snap pads on the stabilizer jacks, no depressions in my new driveway pad after a year.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #6

I park on the same place in white rock drive. I use a 2 x 6 about 3 feet long. After a year or two I replace it. For you, maybe a 2 2 x 10 or 12s three feet long stacked would spread the load. Plus, I take up a little weight with the stabilizers and some jack stands but I keep the tires on the ground with most of the weight on them.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #7

Brick pavers wont work either. Concrete. I poured concrete along side my garage 18 years ago when I had the house built. The downspout for the garage just emptied on that apron and ran off. In the winter it would ice over something terrible and you'd kill yourself on it. So I saw cut just over 4" of it out and ran 4" PVC out into the yard for drainage. I compacted the heck out of the dirt and slagrock and installed brick pavers in the seam. You can tell where my 5th wheel tracks because those pavers are lower than the concrete and the other pavers. I pulled them up again this year to add the slagrock to those pavers to bring back to level and they are still being squished lower. As far as that goes, I just deal with it. But where the 5th wheel sits the concrete has never moved.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_153136.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	63835
Heres what I'm talking about.
When I first installed all this I used a 4" drain tile. Big mistake. It lasted like 15 years but this past year it wasn't draining well because it was all clogged up with dirt and debris. That's why i switched it over to a PVC pipe. Much better.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Brick pavers wont work either. Concrete. I poured concrete along side my garage 18 years ago when I had the house built. The downspout for the garage just emptied on that apron and ran off. In the winter it would ice over something terrible and you'd kill yourself on it. So I saw cut just over 4" of it out and ran 4" PVC out into the yard for drainage. I compacted the heck out of the dirt and slagrock and installed brick pavers in the seam. You can tell where my 5th wheel tracks because those pavers are lower than the concrete and the other pavers. I pulled them up again this year to add the slagrock to those pavers to bring back to level and they are still being squished lower. As far as that goes, I just deal with it. But where the 5th wheel sits the concrete has never moved.
Looks like I may need to remove some asphalt and pour some strips of concrete and maybe a couples of squares of concrete under the landing gear. I do put the rear stabilizers down also bit after owning this 3 years and parking on the same spot when it's home the asphalt has depressions in it. The 5th wheel weighs 11,015 lbs with both propane tanks filled from the factory according to the sticker on the RV. Of course there is more weight from items we leave in it. I leave the 2x12's in place when we leave on a trip and just back up on them again when we return so it's always in the same place.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
Looks like I may need to remove some asphalt and pour some strips of concrete and maybe a couples of squares of concrete under the landing gear. I do put the rear stabilizers down also bit after owning this 3 years and parking on the same spot when it's home the asphalt has depressions in it. The 5th wheel weighs 11,015 lbs with both propane tanks filled from the factory according to the sticker on the RV. Of course there is more weight from items we leave in it. I leave the 2x12's in place when we leave on a trip and just back up on them again when we return so it's always in the same place.
I have the same issue with our 20,000lb triple axle fifth wheel. I do the same with 2x12s and have a set on one side built up to level it. There are depressions in the wheel tracks and at each leveler. I knew when we paved the driveway that this was going to be an issue. Everyone I talked to said the only choice was to pour a concrete pad where the camper sat. Unfortunately, I didn't know for sure at the time where that was going to be.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote