Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Patio light

Hello, all!

We bought a 2016 Eagle 5th wheel (325BHQS) earlier this year and we absolutely LOVE it!! My family and I are just having the best time in it! One thing I am trying to figure out - when I turn on the main outside porch light, the LED lights under the awning go on and the safety light in the stairs leading to the door go on as well. These are good things. However, the LED lights on the front end cap also turn on. It is a little annoying having these on when we are in smaller camp sites because it is bright enough to light up some of the road. I can not find any way to turn these off. How do you keep the porch light on and turn off the LEDs by the hitch on the front cap?

Thank you.
stevejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

We have the exact same issue with our 2016 Pinnacle. Dealer said that it's the only way it works. I hate that the front lights are always on when I have the awning lights on. Should've been a second feature on the remote for the separation of the 2.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #3

Here's what I did to "fix" that issue on my unit. I found where the awning light wire came into the camper. It was in back of the bedroom dresser drawer. The original wires from the switch panel ran to the brows first and then fed to the awning, so I pulled a new wire through the basement from the switch panel to the dresser point where the wires went to the awning. Separated the originals and capped off the feed from the brows and hooked the new wire to the awning lights and installed a new switch in the panel to control them. Also had to move the wire from remote relay to the new feed to the awning feed.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #4

I have heard of this issue with the front cap led lights. I think jayco has heard the same complaint. We picked up a 2017 293rkds and they have added a switch for the cap lights outside. It is located beside the 5th wheel hitch. They also added a small exterior light beside that, this helps when looking for stuff stored in the front compartment. They did away with the large outside patio light, you get the led awning light and amber step light now.
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

On mine there are switches on the front cap for those lights. They are small switches that are covered with a rubber like cover.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #6

Yes that is just like mine and the DWs. I thought that was a change for 2017 models. I like the feature of the lights being independent.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. So, it sounds like in the 2016 model there is no separate switch to tun off the front cap led lights, but they added it in 2017. Unless I want to rewire like ExChief suggested, I am going to have live with it. Only other thing I can think of is to cover the lights with something like this:

LightDims Original Strength Minimal Packaging-Newegg.com

Anybody have any experience with these? Or any other method you can think of for covering the lights?
stevejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #8

If you are handy and can locate the power wire feeding the front cap led lights you could install a light switch to turn them off. You may find the wire in the front storage area where the front landing jacks are leading to the cap and splice the switch in there inside the storage area. This way you could turn them off when the patio lights are on. Keep in mind that the front led cap lights will not work unless the patio led light switch is turned on but this would be a quick and cheap fix.