Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Peeling vinyl on 315RLTS on bathroom vanity

Our vanity in the bathroom is peeling the vinyl over coat. However we can't see the substrate yet. It is still in warranty. We don't neccessarily want to replace the top of it. It will fail again out of warranty. Anybody removed the vinyl? What does the substrate look like? It appears to be painted particle board. Correct me if I am wrong. Please make any suggestions.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We don't neccessarily want to replace the top of it. It will fail again out of warranty. .
Why do you say that? Since that material is bought from a 3rd party supplier you probably just have received a bad piece of cabinetry.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Why do you say that? Since that material is bought from a 3rd party supplier you probably just have received a bad piece of cabinetry.
Replace same with same is the same problem. I'm looking for help and advice, not criticism
Old 03-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Replace same with same is the same problem. I'm looking for help and advice, not criticism
Ouch! That was terse. I’m sure Grumpy meant that you got a one off bad piece that should be replaced without the expectation of a reoccurrence anytime soon.

You’ve prompted me to take a close look at my bathroom cabinets with a critical eye. Our rigs are of similar construction and same model year so we likely share the same cabinet supplier. Mine are some type of MDF/ particleboard with ply veneer facings on front surfaces. I’ve used similar construction on amateur hone cabinet projects and it can come up later if not applied just so- esp. in high moisture environments. In fact I found an example in one of my bath cabinets but it’s impossible to see in normal circumstances and can be fixed with some glue and a sharpie. I’m sure it was there at the PDI. We’re full time a year now and ours are otherwise holding up well.

I’d go for the warranty replacement now and know that some cabinet work will need some minor repairs sometime after the warranty is done in a year.

Good luck
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #5

Thanks Joan. After 47 problems, four radios, three furnace control boards, three sail switches, four rollers on the closet doors, and many more multiple replacements, we are tired. However, we thought it might be better to remove the vinyl than replace the vanity top. We don't want to face the same problem a year from now when it's out of warranty. We expected the vanity top to be a piece of at least plastic, as advertised, not vinyl covered whatever. So any suggestions are helpful. Sincere thanks.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #6
Site Team

There's the possibility of gluing down a new surface with a laminate countertop sheet. Available from the big box stores in a large variety of colors and patterns. Many You Tube videos on installing it, but you'll most likely have a lot left over. Maybe something to look at.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #7

Ah, I get the frustration. Sorry you’ve had it rough.

I had always thought that pinnacles and northpoints were much the same build but different widths, besides obviously different floodplain offerings. They share the same warranty for full timers and many other features.

I understand about the vanity top now. While not a fan of veneers on cabinets, it’s what you get but I certainly agree that I would want a solid counter top of any type. I’d think you could McGuiver a swap out with something from Lowe’s or Home Depot

. Hope you can get things right and enjoy the rig. We had to call a tech today for a slide-out issue (a well known warranty issue unique to our model). He made the comment that it takes about a year to flesh out the issues with the new rigs these days and then they serve well.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:16 AM   #8

I have the same problem. The vinyl peeled up all around the sink and I had to use PVC molding to hold it down. Also under the countertop it must be made with cardboard because it’s all starting to swell from the humidity and the moisture in the bathroom. I cannot for the life of me understand why they can’t use a solid surface countertop in the bathroom because that’s where all the moisture and humidity is. It never amazes me how they cut corners on these things.o
Attached Thumbnails
9F8B5A2B-22FA-4FD0-9686-556E7DF310A6.jpg   CCC8D35A-AB9C-4B70-9F03-F593A501D3B3.jpg   4DABB8F2-2D3E-43CF-9342-C485CC03FCF6.jpg   B3133CC2-EB8D-4E02-8BE2-99F1D228291A.jpg  

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

Thanks

John,
Thanks for the advice. Ours looks just like yours except it is still peeling. We are taking it to the dealer tomorrow to discuss what to do as ours is still in warranty. Since you have the same bathroom, we thought to share our idea for towel bars because we didn't want tthe towel over thee toilet. We bought them from Amazon with 3M double sided tape. Used clamps to hold the for a few days until the glue got into the rough glass. They have held for 18 months so far. If you get the bars too long they are easy to cut. Our pictures come out sideways, too.
Attached Thumbnails
20181016_153720.jpg  
Old 03-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

I just had the same issue happen on my 2019 eagle. Peeling up around the sink. I will contact the dealer tomorrow and get another top ordered under warranty. Real garbage.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #11

Let us know what happens. I'll update as it unfolds. We want to thank all of you responding to our problem and your suggestions
Old 03-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

Your unit must have been built on a Friday afternoon...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #13

We took it to the dealer today for the bathroom sink top peeling and a number of other issues that were photographed and they will talk with Jayco about the repairs. The sink top looks like it is particle board with melamine coating. So John we know why yours' is swelling. We discussed several alternatives and will let you know what happens. I actually like the repair shop at the dealer.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
We took it to the dealer today for the bathroom sink top peeling and a number of other issues that were photographed and they will talk with Jayco about the repairs. The sink top looks like it is particle board with melamine coating. So John we know why yours' is swelling. We discussed several alternatives and will let you know what happens. I actually like the repair shop at the dealer.
Please post your outcome for the bathroom countertop.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #15

I have a 2018 North Point 381 DLQS. Dropped it off at the dealer on Feb 14th just before warranty expired. Still waiting on a new bathroom countertop to come in so they can replace mine which started peeling back around both sinks also.
Demco RECON Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Hitch
blongbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #16

We are wondering if the replacement will be vinyl covered particle board or a real fix. Please, let us know.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #17

My dealer has ordered me another bathroom vanity top due to delam around the sink. He told me he has replaced many this year all with this problem. Dealer also stated that they are taking well over a month to get as they have so many problems with this cheap garbage. They are replacing it with the same top. Hope the supplier added some glue in the process to hold the vinyl down this time. Hard to believe that a vanity top is just vinyl bonded to MDF board.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #18

No word from the dealer yet. She told me Jayco is real slow with responses. I am concerned that replacing the vanity top with the same particle board will do the same thing again in a couple of years. We will let you folks know what happens.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #19

Jayco just responded to the dealer today. They are denying the claim for the sink vinyl peeling. The reason is that we did not care for it per the owner's manual. They did not give a page number, etc. However, during the time we cleaned the edge of the sink with a sponge or paper towel to keep from water spotting.

Also, we read the owner's manual and found nothing about care for laminate tops except how to remove stains.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Jayco just responded to the dealer today. They are denying the claim for the sink vinyl peeling. The reason is that we did not care for it per the owner's manual. They did not give a page number, etc. However, during the time we cleaned the edge of the sink with a sponge or paper towel to keep from water spotting.

Also, we read the owner's manual and found nothing about care for laminate tops except how to remove stains.

Your problem is your dealer. Call Jayco yourself directly and you will be able to get an authorization to have the warranty work done by independent RV repair shop. You will have to take good photographs to document the problem and send them to Jayco. They are an awesome company when it comes to customer service but you need to talk to them not your lazy dealer with poorly skilled "techs".
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote