Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #1

Penny for your thoughts...

We purchased a 2018 29.5bhds in October of last year. We were involved in an accident (not my fault - we were rear ended while stopped at a red light) in January of this year. We were hit so hard in the right rear, that the hitch's right slide rail bent and the whole hitch had to be replaced... The trailer is still in the shop, a little to blame on both the insurance and dealer reacting so slowly, but it has allowed me to ponder whether to keep it or not. The whole rear panel has to be replaced and the right side j-panel has to be replaced. About $9K in repairs

Needless to say we are not "happy campers" .

So here is the question... Should I trade it in? I have gone as far as asking what the dealer will do. The DW is happy with our current model, but if we were to trade she wants a larger model (355MBQS) or about $8-10K more than a new 29.5. In other words, have $65K in a unit that sells for $54K, that has a MSRP $74K... (I know MSRP means nothing....).

I have called Jayco, and the rep. tells me, that bascially any and all future claims will not be honored that can be linked back to the frame. If the axles are misaligned, will cause excessive shaking, etc, therefore cabinets that "shake" off wall or have mounted issues, they will not be warranted... its a stretch I know, but this is what I am told. Now I am thinking, if i ever have roofing issues in the rear, too bad... or if I plumbing and/or tank issues, too bad...

I am a little worried as well, as I do travel with 3 children (ages 2, 6, 8) and would never want to jeopardize them or my fellow travelers on the road. Is the unit safe?

Now we could go down to an upgraded Keystone Cougar model (gasp!) to keep the finances the same, but we REALLY like Jayco.

I know the dealer should do this, and the insurance should do that, but what are your thoughts on the trade.... is it really worth $10K above the asking price? Could I easily run up the $10K in future "repairs" after I get the 29.5 back? How will it trade in the future?

Anyone ever been in this situation?

So should I keep the repaired? or Do I trade it in for an upgrade?

Penny for your thoughts...

I hope all have a safe and fantastic camping season!!!
The Blue Flock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #2

I would make sure the INS CO knows there may be hidden damage and you will not accept final resolution until you get to tow it on a couple long trips.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

At least take it to a frame alignment shop that can handle it. Insurance company should pay (they will fight you) for more repairs, even if you want to trade it would be considerate to have it fully operational and safe.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #4

When our TT was rear ended last year the insurance totaled it because the frame was bent. The insurance adjuster also looked at future problems, that could occur, in making her decision. If yours has any frame damage I would ask for it to be totaled. I was very surprised that I didn’t have to fight to have mine totaled.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
When our TT was rear ended last year the insurance totaled it because the frame was bent. The insurance adjuster also looked at future problems, that could occur, in making her decision. If yours has any frame damage I would ask for it to be totaled. I was very surprised that I didn’t have to fight to have mine totaled.
I could not believe that my insurance (National Gen/Good Sam) was beating up my dealer on repairs cost.... the other guy is paying for it due to his negligence. It all seems so shady to me. The whole ordeal. I’ve had car accidents before and thought this would be similar.... boy am I wrong!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #6

OMG GEICO you have not seen anything yet!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #7

Flip it, man. Now's your chance. If your truck can handle it, move up to that one you're wanting. Trailers that have had major damage are too much of a "what if" and you will always be worrying about it. Bite the bullet, buy the new one.

When my first trailer was severely damaged by hail, I pushed to have it written off even though it was my pride and joy. Best thing I ever did.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

What about the other guys insurance? It was his fault. When we got hit we just notified our insurance in case the other guys insurance was going to be a problem and we needed help. Other guys insurance was the one that totaled ours and were great to work with.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
What about the other guys insurance? It was his fault. When we got hit we just notified our insurance in case the other guys insurance was going to be a problem and we needed help. Other guys insurance was the one that totaled ours and were great to work with.
You should have had a lawyer do all the talking. Get a new rig.
I would be more concerned about you & your family's possible medical problems that show up later. My wife is going thru this now. From her wreck in 2012.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #10

I agree with Poohbear. Get a lawyer. Too many variables to deal with and the insurances main purpose is to reduce the claim any way they can. Make the at fault insurance pay for ALL expenses.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #11

In case if any of you were wondering, we bit the bullet and got a new 325 BHQS. We get it on Friday and I for one cannot wait!

Cheers! And happy camping!