Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Perma plate?

When we were working on the deal for our new Jayco Eagle fifth wheel The dealer mentioned a protective coating called Permaplate they recommended we have the rig coated with. I thought I saw a post by Grumpy about this but nothing comes up in my search. Does anyone have any input on this? Is it snake oil or the real deal?
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #2

I don't know what "BRAND" we had on our PINNACLE, but I loved it. Never had to wax, no black streaks and the vast majority of bugs on the cap washed off with a good rain. It's a Polymer coating and came with a 5 yr guarantee, including a re-coat if needed.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

I got talked into putting this on my trailer. Now I have only had it for 6 months. It has to be something different than what Grumpy had on his, cause I still have to use a bug remover and scrub to get the bird poop off. I watched as they put it on, it was a wipe on, wait 30sec and wipe off. It took 1 guy about 1 1/2 hours to do the whole trailer inside and out. So my confidence in it lasting and actually protecting the paint and graphics is pretty low. I still put “Wash Wax All” every time after I wash it. I have also used McGuires M3052 on the nose cap, and am working my way around the trailer a section at a time. Only time will tell and the fact that I’m still putting stuff on top of it, I don’t think I will ever know. But you can always rub out paint, you can’t save the stick on graphics if they fade. I also did some research into the company and product. You can’t just go buy it and put more on, you have to pay them to do it. And trust me, there’s no technique to it or special equipment, a ladder and a couple rags. That kind of strokes me the wrong way, like it’s a racket.

Hope this helps, I know it’s just an opinion, maybe you’ll get more input from users with more longevity in it’s performance.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
When we were working on the deal for our new Jayco Eagle fifth wheel The dealer mentioned a protective coating called Permaplate they recommended we have the rig coated with. I thought I saw a post by Grumpy about this but nothing comes up in my search. Does anyone have any input on this? Is it snake oil or the real deal?
I think the big question is how much did they quote you for the "snake oil"?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #5

Thanks folks for the reply. They want a lot....maybe they are trying to recover some of the amount we saved ordering the rig from the show. Ill do some more research before I say ok. Its always funny to me its the paperwork people pushing this stuff.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
Thanks folks for the reply. They want a lot....maybe they are trying to recover some of the amount we saved ordering the rig from the show. Ill do some more research before I say ok. Its always funny to me its the paperwork people pushing this stuff.
This is similar to the finance people at an auto dealership. They push the extended warranties, rust proofing, paint protection, etc. These are sold at huge markups and are very profitable for the dealerships.

I'm not implying or saying that there aren't good protection products on the market. But make sure you do your homework to insure that you are purchasing a quality product at a reasonable price.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #7

I agree on Snake Oil is the brand name and pocket picking is the game.

Wash and wax as you would you car except extra care around the decals.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I agree on Snake Oil is the brand name and pocket picking is the game.

Wash and wax as you would you car except extra care around the decals.
Can you elaborate on “Extra care around the decals “ and what that entails?

Thanks

Archie
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

This one of the few things we did that I regretted a few months after the fact. I really thought I got burned. No idea what the "brand" was.

Then a year went by. And another year. And another. No wax. Ever. Easy peasy to wash. Bugs slid right off until about year 4. No black streaks. It's past year 6 and the sides and back are holding up well. They still shine. It's all worn off the front now but actually I'm impressed. It did what it was supposed to do.

So now I view this as one of those things that you have to ask yourself if it's worth it not to wax. I do think for some people there is value in this. As i get older I don't even like waxing my cars anymore and I used to be anal about that kind of stuff.

It's not cheap but I do wish I had negotiated it. I'm sure they have a price point for this stuff. If you're willing to pay something for it, they'd rather sell it to you than not at all.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwinger View Post
Can you elaborate on “Extra care around the decals “ and what that entails?

Thanks

Archie

Basically decals are made of vinyl that is glued on. Once an edge is pulled up they tend to peel off more and more over time.

Many wax products contain abrasives and hydrocarbons which can scratch or dull decals. Over vigorous scrubbing or washing especially along the edges can cause decals to start peeling. I have read in the past that 303 does not harm decals.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Then a year went by. And another year. And another. No wax. Ever. Easy peasy to wash. Bugs slid right off until about year 4. No black streaks. It's past year 6 and the sides and back are holding up well. They still shine. It's all worn off the front now but actually I'm impressed. It did what it was supposed to do.
Exactly the same as my experience, but those who never bought it "KNOW IT ALL".....and you don't have to be careful around the decals as they still look new...

The one our dealer sold us would have given a free "recoat" on the front up through year 5..
Old 10-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #12

We opted in on the protection. I don't know what the brand was.

The rig has some kind of coating inside and out. I wash with Meguiars wash 'n' wax and it's not difficult at all and the rig comes out looking like new after we wash every time. The only two trouble spots are the front cap with all the bugs (they don't just "slide off", but I can do a decent job with a long-handled brush), and the ends of the gutters where the condensation and rain water would just drip down the side of the rig. I have installed gutter extensions, but I have not made a significant effort to clean up the streaks yet. But I have no doubt they'll come off easily. On the passenger side, the streaks were exacerbated by a screw that was left in the gutter to rust when the rig was built, which left a rust streak down the side of the rig. Still can't imagine how that thing stayed up there through severe weather and driving over the course of over a year...

We also got it on the inside. If you look with just the right light, you can actually see it on the surfaces. It has done pretty well inside too. Nothing sticks to the walls, and the furniture seems easy to clean (I've never had this kind of furniture before, so I don't know if it's an improvement). I can smack a mosquito against the wall, and its guts just wipe right off.

The only "problem area" on the inside is the woodwork. Whatever finish they applied is not doing so well on the cabinet fronts and such; it looks a little "hazy". But I'm not worried about it, I'll just go after it with a can of lemon Pledge and a rag and be done with it for another season.

Overall I'm not unhappy with the product, but it did seem a bit pricey.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote