Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #21

On my hitch, I pull out the arm to open the jaws. When I back in, the jaws snap shut and pull the arm back in with a loud " click".

I guess I thought that meant locked.

Am I missing something and have just been really lucky so far?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #22

Well I can now report some good news ... this damage didn't lower my MPG ratings. Nearly 200 miles each way yielded about 9.6 MPG, typical stuff for me.

New thought:
We stayed at a very old/ former KOA - Styx River, in Robertsdale, AL; now owned/marketed by Ocean Canyon Properties. Narrow lots, and in my particular case - no shade, but otherwise a real nice place. Lots of extra amenities and we did enjoy it. Unfortunately they don't allow outsiders to call ahead and/or just drop in.

To become a full nationwide member is nearly $14,000, lowest membership was nearly $5800; PLUS nearly $600/year in maintenance fees. I just can't justify that when I typically spend less than $600/year on the campground of my choice fees.

Full-timers - traveling nationwide - might find that community beneficial.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
On my hitch, I pull out the arm to open the jaws. When I back in, the jaws snap shut and pull the arm back in with a loud " click".

I guess I thought that meant locked.

Am I missing something and have just been really lucky so far?
It depends on which hitch you have, either way you are "lucky"
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #24

That stinks - sorry it happened. One of the best add-on items I've bought is the 5er safety latch from Butch's.

Made in the USA
Easy install
VERY well built

http://www.5thwheellatchkit.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430778651.421919.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	17934

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #25

Its about routine and not deviating at all for any reason; rain, bugs or DW anxious to get going. part of that routine is checking the connections

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #26

Big oops. I did it myself back when I had a 5er as well. Another time, I had my Makita 5500 generator loaded in the bed perpendicular up against the front of the bad by the window on the passenger side. Figured I was being smart since the generator had to loaded there because it was to tall. Pulled in for gas and had to make a very sharp turn pulling out. A nice crunch sound, the back of the truck shattering and all was done. I learned from that day forward to load the generator center directly in front of the hitch.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #27

I think semi 5th wheel hitches are superior to all of the rv hitches I have seen. I can't fathom why they don't auto lock closed. Having to install a pin or some other thing is lame. Back in hear feel it click give a tug test look to verify hitch pin is correctly located your done. Nope rv industry hitches make you pin bars, latches etc. Something you could forget which I suspect is the cause of most dropped damage.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I think semi 5th wheel hitches are superior to all of the rv hitches I have seen. I can't fathom why they don't auto lock closed. Having to install a pin or some other thing is lame. Back in hear feel it click give a tug test look to verify hitch pin is correctly located your done. Nope rv industry hitches make you pin bars, latches etc. Something you could forget which I suspect is the cause of most dropped damage.
I'm not trying to make assumptions... but just based on your statement above, you may have some misconceptions about semi hitches.

Semi hitches are prone to the same failure that RV 5th wheel hitches are. In most cases, it's not a design flaw of the hitch - it's user error. In my OTR days, I've seen plenty of semi trailers dropped on their nose because they were too high when lashed up... or the driver failed to do a visual inspection to be sure of the hookup.

All the safety bar does (as posted in my earlier reply) - or an Ox BedSaver - is provide a means of mechanical insurance.

We all make mistakes. That's why you have insurance to begin with. If we were all perfect in all of our execution of activities - there would be no "opps" stories. However... we're all human... prone to distraction, error, forgetfullness, you name it...

As far as saying, "you shouldn't have to check it visually"... fair point and an excellent goal. However, mechanical things fail. Failures induced by user error or by mechanical fatigue and/or breakdown.... both end in the same result.
For those that choose to do so... installing a device like being discussed here is simply a way to prevent potential mistakes from being more costly.

Now if you can find a way to eliminate any and all potential for mechanical failure... outside of installing extra equipment... I'm all ears.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Old 05-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Semi hitches are prone to the same failure that RV 5th wheel hitches are. In most cases, it's not a design flaw of the hitch - it's user error. In my OTR days, I've seen plenty of semi trailers dropped on their nose because they were too high when lashed up... or the driver failed to do a visual inspection to be sure of the hookup.
I dropped a loaded Army flat bed off the back of an M915 tractor (AM General semi made for the military) in Korea due to lack of experience. Luckily, it didn't damage the landing legs but I got a bit of a butt chewing for it.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm not trying to make assumptions... but just based on your statement above, you may have some misconceptions about semi hitches.

All the safety bar does (as posted in my earlier reply) - or an Ox BedSaver - is provide a means of mechanical insurance.

We all make mistakes. That's why you have insurance to begin with. If we were all perfect in all of our execution of activities - there would be no "opps" stories. However... we're all human... prone to distraction, error, forgetfullness, you name it...

As far as saying, "you shouldn't have to check it visually"... fair point and an excellent goal. However, mechanical things fail. Failures induced by user error or by mechanical fatigue and/or breakdown.... both end in the same result.
For those that choose to do so... installing a device like being discussed here is simply a way to prevent potential mistakes from being more costly.

Now if you can find a way to eliminate any and all potential for mechanical failure... outside of installing extra equipment... I'm all ears.

Let me add some clarifications. I have a B&W companion which is highly praised and very much recommend by every owner of one. I like mine but I have a love hate relationship with it as well.

If I hitch correctly AKA not a high hitch like you are referring to. I can still drop the trailer if I forget to pin the handle closed. I can look from the tail gate and see the king pin in front of the clam locks, I can see everything is perfect, I can even see the handle all the way back... but I have to pin it closed for it to stay closed. This is my worry and issue, and I suspect a large % of dropped trailers.

Every time I hitch up I follow the same steps and I have been good to go thus far but every so often I Question myself did I pin that lever, and thus I stop and look. guess its my OCD kicking in.

My experience with semi trucks is it locks closed when it's closed, no manual step required. You open it, back under, it locks. you look to verify and your good.

High pin = pin sitting on top of the 5th wheel plate or sitting on top of the jaws, "This may cause it to lock but the jaws are not around the pin." or up and over the plate and in front of it. I suspect on a pickup these would be easy to see but on a semi you could miss it fairly easily. But these would also pass a tug test.
Only way I know of to not do this is to have the truck lift the trailer a little when loading and to VISUALLY CHECK from the tailgate. look is the pin in front of the jaws, are the jaws closed?

Basically it is idiot proof a lot better then the RV industry
Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #31

I have a Pull-Rite. There is no locking pin with the Pull-Rite or the Superglide. My understanding is that if it locks (its locked when the handle snaps pretty good) you are good to go. It wont lock if it's high hitched. I visually check to ensure the locking jaws are around the pin and I always do a "pull" test with the landing gear just slightly off the ground.

I do however set it up to lift the trailer slightly when backing into the hitch. Actually the Pull-Rite manual says to set the king pin about 1" above the bottom of the hitch plate (hitch plate angled down towards the tailgate). This forces the trailer to rise slightly thereby avoiding the "high hitch".
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
I have a Pull-Rite. There is no locking pin with the Pull-Rite or the Superglide. My understanding is that if it locks (its locked when the handle snaps pretty good) you are good to go. It wont lock if it's high hitched. I visually check to ensure the locking jaws are around the pin and I always do a "pull" test with the landing gear just slightly off the ground.

I do however set it up to lift the trailer slightly when backing into the hitch. Actually the Pull-Rite manual says to set the king pin about 1" above the bottom of the hitch plate (hitch plate angled down towards the tailgate). This forces the trailer to rise slightly thereby avoiding the "high hitch".
Oh... I will be taking a look at this... nice to know.

And yes everything I was taught in CDL driving school, big corporate OTR company I worked for, books ETC.. .all told me exactly what you said.

I may have a hitch for sale... OK maybe not but its nice to know someone is building them this way out there.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #33

The locking pin on the B&W is a by-product of their cam locking mechanism. As with anything... there are pro's/con's. The "pro" is that the cam lock system will never bind up. You can always easily unlock the hitch once you remove the pin. The "con" is afore mentioned pin.

On a Pullrite (which I have as well.... Pullrite Superglide)... the "pro" is that as described, once you hit the hitch - it is locked. The "con" is that if the site is severely unlevel, or if you have pressure against the kingpin, you will have a hard time pulling the arm to unlock the hitch.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other... one just has to decide which "pro" they prefer or which "con" they can live with.

2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #34

I have the Reese Elite 18k slider hitch that I bought to pull my 5er and when I back in to it I also make sure the trailer is a little low so that the trailer lifts and pushes the truck down. When the pin enters the hitch the jaw slams closed by a spring action. There is a pin or a lock that ensures the hitch can't be unlatched without removing it but it is only a secondary system. When unhitching the trailer the latch must be pulled open to release the 5th wheel pin.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #35

Quote:
The locking pin on the B&W is a by-product of their cam locking mechanism. As with anything... there are pro's/con's. The "pro" is that the cam lock system will never bind up. You can always easily unlock the hitch once you remove the pin. The "con" is afore mentioned pin.

On a Pullrite (which I have as well.... Pullrite Superglide)... the "pro" is that as described, once you hit the hitch - it is locked. The "con" is that if the site is severely unlevel, or if you have pressure against the kingpin, you will have a hard time pulling the arm to unlock the hitch.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other... one just has to decide which "pro" they prefer or which "con" they can live with.
You are correct. I do have to be careful of the left to right level of the site. As well I can't unhook outside of 10 degrees ( I think it's 10) angle of hook up. For me these issues are nuisances. Having my trailer fall on my box is something more than a nuisance. They all make good hitches, it's up to the user to determine the best hitch for their usual application.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Who'll be next to forget to lock things down?
I think it was the guy a few spaces down from me this past Tuesday evening. Brand new fiver and F250 dropped it right on the bed of his truck. The next thing he did had me scratching my head. He raised the fiver up, re-hitched and I'll be danged if he didn't drop it AGAIN on the bed of his truck. It was painful to watch and I really felt sorry for the guy. Thought about offering to help but then thought again. Sometimes it's better to just leave it alone...know what I mean?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote