Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #31

I have a Pull-Rite. There is no locking pin with the Pull-Rite or the Superglide. My understanding is that if it locks (its locked when the handle snaps pretty good) you are good to go. It wont lock if it's high hitched. I visually check to ensure the locking jaws are around the pin and I always do a "pull" test with the landing gear just slightly off the ground.

I do however set it up to lift the trailer slightly when backing into the hitch. Actually the Pull-Rite manual says to set the king pin about 1" above the bottom of the hitch plate (hitch plate angled down towards the tailgate). This forces the trailer to rise slightly thereby avoiding the "high hitch".

Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
I have a Pull-Rite. There is no locking pin with the Pull-Rite or the Superglide. My understanding is that if it locks (its locked when the handle snaps pretty good) you are good to go. It wont lock if it's high hitched. I visually check to ensure the locking jaws are around the pin and I always do a "pull" test with the landing gear just slightly off the ground.

I do however set it up to lift the trailer slightly when backing into the hitch. Actually the Pull-Rite manual says to set the king pin about 1" above the bottom of the hitch plate (hitch plate angled down towards the tailgate). This forces the trailer to rise slightly thereby avoiding the "high hitch".
Oh... I will be taking a look at this... nice to know.

And yes everything I was taught in CDL driving school, big corporate OTR company I worked for, books ETC.. .all told me exactly what you said.

I may have a hitch for sale... OK maybe not but its nice to know someone is building them this way out there.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #33

The locking pin on the B&W is a by-product of their cam locking mechanism. As with anything... there are pro's/con's. The "pro" is that the cam lock system will never bind up. You can always easily unlock the hitch once you remove the pin. The "con" is afore mentioned pin.

On a Pullrite (which I have as well.... Pullrite Superglide)... the "pro" is that as described, once you hit the hitch - it is locked. The "con" is that if the site is severely unlevel, or if you have pressure against the kingpin, you will have a hard time pulling the arm to unlock the hitch.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other... one just has to decide which "pro" they prefer or which "con" they can live with.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #34

I have the Reese Elite 18k slider hitch that I bought to pull my 5er and when I back in to it I also make sure the trailer is a little low so that the trailer lifts and pushes the truck down. When the pin enters the hitch the jaw slams closed by a spring action. There is a pin or a lock that ensures the hitch can't be unlatched without removing it but it is only a secondary system. When unhitching the trailer the latch must be pulled open to release the 5th wheel pin.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
The locking pin on the B&W is a by-product of their cam locking mechanism. As with anything... there are pro's/con's. The "pro" is that the cam lock system will never bind up. You can always easily unlock the hitch once you remove the pin. The "con" is afore mentioned pin.

On a Pullrite (which I have as well.... Pullrite Superglide)... the "pro" is that as described, once you hit the hitch - it is locked. The "con" is that if the site is severely unlevel, or if you have pressure against the kingpin, you will have a hard time pulling the arm to unlock the hitch.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other... one just has to decide which "pro" they prefer or which "con" they can live with.
You are correct. I do have to be careful of the left to right level of the site. As well I can't unhook outside of 10 degrees ( I think it's 10) angle of hook up. For me these issues are nuisances. Having my trailer fall on my box is something more than a nuisance. They all make good hitches, it's up to the user to determine the best hitch for their usual application.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Who'll be next to forget to lock things down?
I think it was the guy a few spaces down from me this past Tuesday evening. Brand new fiver and F250 dropped it right on the bed of his truck. The next thing he did had me scratching my head. He raised the fiver up, re-hitched and I'll be danged if he didn't drop it AGAIN on the bed of his truck. It was painful to watch and I really felt sorry for the guy. Thought about offering to help but then thought again. Sometimes it's better to just leave it alone...know what I mean?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote