Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #21

I bought this Jayco used. It was an elderly couple that used it 1 season and traded it on a motorhome. I will be towing a new 12ft aluminum trailer with golf cart and 2 kayaks on it so, it shouldn't be too heavy to pull it behind 5th wheel.
richieric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #22

I don't know what the Jayco smart wiring is all about but, I can honestly tell you that Jayco Manufacturer needs to get BIQ 4 certified because I am finding all kinds of things that weren;t done right or connected properly. Such as Satellite ready cable system was only partially connected. Still having issues hooking up my Dish King Portable satellite system using there Factory installed cables.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #23

That's ridiculous. Why put a hitch on a vehicle but not include the wiring? I guess you've checked to see if they have it hidden under the chassis somewhere with a dust plug? If not, you'll have to come off of the tail lamps of the trailer and get a flat four-pin (trailer side ) connector. If you have LED tail lamps, you have to use LED's on your cart trailer too. It's not good to run LED's through incandescent lamps and vice versa.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #24

No wiring means it's an accessory hitch, not a towing hitch. Unless they changed, the Eagle HT models were the only ones with tow hitches. Rest of the lines came with accessory hitches like my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That's ridiculous. Why put a hitch on a vehicle but not include the wiring? I guess you've checked to see if they have it hidden under the chassis somewhere with a dust plug? If not, you'll have to come off of the tail lamps of the trailer and get a flat four-pin (trailer side ) connector. If you have LED tail lamps, you have to use LED's on your cart trailer too. It's not good to run LED's through incandescent lamps and vice versa.
You can run led and incandescent lights on the same circuit. Doesn't harm anything. Where did you get that information??

Earl
Old 08-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
No wiring means it's an accessory hitch, not a towing hitch. Unless they changed, the Eagle HT models were the only ones with tow hitches. Rest of the lines came with accessory hitches like my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS.

Earl

True statement. I’ve owned both.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #27

Quote:
You can run led and incandescent lights on the same circuit. Doesn't harm anything. Where did you get that information??

Earl
Incandescent lamps draw more amps and can damage LED's. Been there, done it with my boat trailer.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #28

Quote:

Earl
The owners manual says it has a wiring harness in back underneath underbelly and it also says the hitch can tow up to 3000lbs with 300 lbs tongue weight.
I can also and probably weld in extra square tubing support bars across from frame to frame rails.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Incandescent lamps draw more amps and can damage LED's. Been there, done it with my boat trailer.
Did you wire them in series? You should of wired them in parallel. You never want to wire lights in series. Otherwise you can run either or a mixture on the same circuit, in parallel with no issues. Provided you don't exceed the circuit rating.

Earl
Old 08-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieric View Post
yes, there is a hitch that was installed by factory but they apparently forgot to add the harness.
Eagle HT is the only one that comes with a hitch and wiring. The regular Eagle is not for towing only a cargo carrier. That is why there is no wiring harness for a trailer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #31

Hello Mopar Earl,,,,,,I was wondering how big of a trailer you can tow behind a TRX (T-Rex) Ram Truck. I know it has 702 HP, what do think ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Hello Mopar Earl,,,,,,I was wondering how big of a trailer you can tow behind a TRX (T-Rex) Ram Truck. I know it has 702 HP, what do think ?
I don't know. I assume it's a gasoline 1500? If so, I wouldn't recommend it for 5th wheel towing. Usually those "performance" vehicles aren't designed and/or don't perform well as towers. Its ratings should be on the Ram site.

Earl
Old 08-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Eagle HT is the only one that comes with a hitch and wiring. The regular Eagle is not for towing only a cargo carrier. That is why there is no wiring harness for a trailer.
Grumpy, that is not correct. I have a 2021 Eagle 336FBOK that came with a factory hitch that is rated to pull 3000lbs with a 300lb tongue weight rating that has a flat four plug that was factory installed.
McEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Did you wire them in series? You should of wired them in parallel. You never want to wire lights in series. Otherwise you can run either or a mixture on the same circuit, in parallel with no issues. Provided you don't exceed the circuit rating.

Earl
My son towed a boat trailer to Deep Creek Lake about 5 hrs. from us. When he pulled in the rental, his left taillamp on the truck was out. Long story short, he got it covered under warranty. 2 or so months later, he pulled it to the ramp. Right side went out. Found out, incandescent lamps draw more power...I guess through the taillamps and it fries the module in the lamp. What's strange is, I see other vehicles that have no problems at all. The trailer does have about 6 running lamps and dual filament taillamps. So 8 lamps drawing power. Maybe what you're saying, wiring in parallel than in series. I don't know.