Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #1

Pin box

Wanting to convert my 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS to a gooseneck . Does anyone know which pinbox this coach comes with ? Or have any recommendations on a good conversion or adapter
Cboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Team

I hope someone chimes in with an answer for you. I thought I would download the 2018 brochure to see if it gave a clue, however when I downloaded it, it popped up.....in French! My French is way beyond rusty, mostly non-existent, so unfortunately, I'm of no help. (Two years of French classes in high school down the drain).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:35 PM   #3

The Reese Goose Box or the Gen-Y version is the only two I would recommend. Both are cushioned and should give you a better ride, at least our Goose Box did for us. There was a tag on our frame box that gave some numbers. I think I called Lippert and they verified the model number. Jayco might also have the info, not sure though.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:59 PM   #4

I tried to replace mine a few years ago. My 2018 frame is made spefically to fit the Reese Revolution. Unfortunately, that hitch has a "special" mounting to the frame. There is no replacement option with a Goose Box. I wish there were. I am not sure about a Gen-Y.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:26 PM   #5

I went with the Reese Goosebox and love it.
ewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:38 PM   #6

Smile Similar issue..

Cboyce, sorry this is months behind! Haven't been on in a long while. I have a 2018 28.5RSTS and and trying to to do the same thing you are. I have researched and came to the decision that the GenY was the way to go. Then I got the BAD news...LCI and my local dealer both tell me that, 2018-2019 only, Jayco tried an "experiment" with the wing rails that all pin boxes bolt to...they got away from the industry standard #1621 bolt pattern and tried a variation called #1622. It was available only in their Turning Point brand or in the upgraded Moryde pinbox. Their goal was to create an orbital hitch for the short-bed and 1/2 ton market. It seems everyone just locked out the orbital option and continued using it like a standard hitch so they abandoned the #1622.
I've learned that NO OTHER brands of pinbox will bolt up to this stupid wing system they tried so our options are very limited!
I was here trying to get advice from anyone on what traditional 5th wheel plate I should use to get away from the Anderson Ultimate I've had for 3 years. I have had no luck but I hope any meager information I can provide you may prove useful
Best of luck if you haven't already solved your problem!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:49 PM   #7

this might help. The model # of your current pin box should be located on the black sticker on the drivers side of your existing pin box
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ccd-0004318.pdf (73.4 KB, 22 views)
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:22 AM   #8

Kirkwlli,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have my decal-ot is on the nose and says 1622
Old 06-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #9

What is the benefit of a goose-neck over a fifth-wheel?

Thanks
FireguyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:21 AM   #10

Just curious why? Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:54 PM   #11

Goose vs. plate and pin

In my case it turned out that I could not buy an off the shelf gooseneck to bolt onto the wing rails of my Jayco anyway, so it became a moot point. I will take this opportunity to give a shout out to GenY hitches though... Their engineers were willing to custom build me a gooseneck that was compatible! Kudos to them!
The benefit would be that a gooseneck would stay attached to the coach and simply slip onto the receiver ball which is already mounted under the bed of my truck, courtesy of B& W hitch. If I had done that I would never have to lift the plate and base of the fifth wheel out, and I wouldn't have to lift the camper so high in the front to get it off of the Anderson ball anymore. I ended up converting back to a traditional fifth wheel with a pin and plate. So far so good
Old 06-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireguyEd View Post
What is the benefit of a goose-neck over a fifth-wheel?

Thanks
In my personal experience it's the only reason we even got a 5th wheel. I never wanted to have that 200-250plug lbs hitch in my truck and have an unusable bed, specially being a short/standard bed as they call it now. That extra weight also takes away from your payload. Since I never did run a standard 5th wheel set up I'm not sure how the distance from the cab to the nose of the trailer is but looking at other trucks with the standard 5th wheel setup I feel like I've gained distance for turning. The ball allows the trailer to be at a different angle for hooking and unhooking which makes that easier. When I get to the camp site and unhook, I take about 20lbs of steel out of my bed, gooseball and safety chain holder, and I have my bed completely empty. Also in my case I have 3 different heights of gooseballs. So I can adjust the height if needed depending on terrain or situation.

We went with the Reese because it was the only one that didn't void Lipperts warranty on the frame and I liked the idea of the air bag to cushion the ride. I can't say I was 100% in the beginning with the Reese as the pressure relief valve kept loosing air but I quickly changed that to a Airlife wireless one compressor setup and never have an issue with it loosing air.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote