Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Pin Box Adjustment

I really need to lower my pin box one notch. The trailer side has the holes to do this, but it looks like I will only be able to use 4 bolts instead of 5. Is this ok? Nothing in the instructions say anything about this.
Attached Thumbnails
C7630AB6-4631-4B21-BD70-E4B145CB8937.jpg  
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

I wouldn't. Removing 2 bolts is a 20% reduction, it's engineered with 5 for a reason. Why not lower the hitch?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Trying to gain some additional clearance to the side rails. The mounting bracket for the pin box is the current low spot.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #4

Pin boxes are rated and the rating sticker should be on the box. Mine is on the drivers side of the box and is rated for 5 or 6 bolts per side. So, I agree with Grumpy, don't remove any bolts, raise the hitch.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

I would contact Jayco service and ask them. I moved my pin box down I hole on my old Eagle Super Lite but was able to keep all the bolts in place. If you move the pin box down I would replace the bolts with new ones of the same grade. They are probably grade 8 bolts. You have to use a torque wrench and torque the new bolts to the proper setting. Good luck.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #6

Looks like you have an Andersen Ultimate. Can you lower the goose ball any?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Looks like you have an Andersen Ultimate. Can you lower the goose ball any?
You are correct. What I am trying to remedy is the pinch between the pin mount bracket and the bed rails. If I can’t lower the box, I’m going to see if I have enough cab clearance to rotate the Andersen bracket 180 degrees.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #8

Jace- I just went thru this problem with Andersen and there is an easy fix. Assuming you have the Andersen red thingee (attached to the pin box) so the ball funnel is forward, all you need to do is rotate that 180 degrees. That moves the red thingee ball funnel back towards your tailgate and gives you many more inches of side rail clearance. It also moves the fiver closer to your cab so if you have a short box, check clearance to the back truck window. If you have a long bed as I do, then no problem.

Just loosen the two big bolts first. Next loosen the four set screws enough so it moves around. Rotate the red thingee 180 degrees and retighten set screws first at 40 ft.lbs. Be sure the red thingee is square and faced forward. Then tighten to two big bolts just enough to make them snug. Assuming your cable lock is unobstructed, you are good to go.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #9

You will be fine lowering the pin box. I just did the same thing on my 321RSTS. When you drop it down you will need to move the bolts to the next hole. All 5 will line up unless you are already at the lowest point. The factory set mine up one hole off the top. This allowed me to raise or lower at least 1 inch.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

If you are trying to lower the pin box so that you have more clearance to the rails, I'm assuming you are actually raising the front of the 5'er, yes?

If this is the case, you should EASILY be able to accomplish the same thing by raising the ball in the Andersen adapter 1 hole. - there are 3. Should take you about 30 seconds. Much easier than fussing with the pin box.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
If you are trying to lower the pin box so that you have more clearance to the rails, I'm assuming you are actually raising the front of the 5'er, yes?

If this is the case, you should EASILY be able to accomplish the same thing by raising the ball in the Andersen adapter 1 hole. - there are 3. Should take you about 30 seconds. Much easier than fussing with the pin box.
Already at the top hole.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Jace- I just went thru this problem with Andersen and there is an easy fix. Assuming you have the Andersen red thingee (attached to the pin box) so the ball funnel is forward, all you need to do is rotate that 180 degrees. That moves the red thingee ball funnel back towards your tailgate and gives you many more inches of side rail clearance. It also moves the fiver closer to your cab so if you have a short box, check clearance to the back truck window. If you have a long bed as I do, then no problem.

Just loosen the two big bolts first. Next loosen the four set screws enough so it moves around. Rotate the red thingee 180 degrees and retighten set screws first at 40 ft.lbs. Be sure the red thingee is square and faced forward. Then tighten to two big bolts just enough to make them snug. Assuming your cable lock is unobstructed, you are good to go.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
I will give this a try and see how the cab clearance works out. Was you Andersen box a tight fit when you put it on? I had to hammer mine one, but it went.