Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
BLK

Pinnacle 36SSWS Owners

Wondering if there are any Pinnacle 36SSWS owners out there? We purchased one last August and have used it several times. Currently the unit is back at the dealer getting warranty work done. My question is what kind of issues have you had with your unit? Our biggest problem has been cracking of the side panel around the bedroom slide. Our other issue is how slow the grey and black water tanks drain. Wondering if other owners have noticed this problem? There are lots of other issues as well. So just looking for some feedback.
BLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK View Post
Wondering if there are any Pinnacle 36SSWS owners out there? We purchased one last August and have used it several times. Currently the unit is back at the dealer getting warranty work done. My question is what kind of issues have you had with your unit? Our biggest problem has been cracking of the side panel around the bedroom slide. Our other issue is how slow the grey and black water tanks drain. Wondering if other owners have noticed this problem? There are lots of other issues as well. So just looking for some feedback.
Sorry about your cracking, that seems to be common on many models, even from other manufacturers.

Can I ask what pin box you have been using?

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
BLK

The pin box we are using is the one that came with the unit. A MorRyde box.
I have been having a chucking issue with this unit and have had many talks with the MorRyde rep. I have even tried different springs with the help of MorRyde. They have been very helpful. But still have not resolved the chucking issue. This is my first fifth wheel so I may be expecting too much of a smooth ride.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #4

Cracking of gel coat not a problem with our 16 Eagle RSTS.Seems like a major issue for Jayco.Not to speak of on the resale side for Pinnacle owners.How do they make that repair?Any chance air turbulents from tow vehicle tail gate an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Drone LP 10-21-18 xxx.jpg  
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #5

Where to begin

On our first trip out, numerous items did not work, ie: fireplaces, vacuum, frig didn't work on LP gas, the bedroom door would not latch because the latch plate and door latch did not match up, they were off by about a half inch, etc. Dealer inferred it was our fault for plugging it in wrong causing a short. PLEASE! Made an appointment with the dealer, telling them what items we were having problems with, and left an hour later with the "we need to order the parts and/or we need to order and whole new unit" excuse. Good thing it was summer and we did not need the fireplaces for heat. Finally got the new fireplaces, they said they fixed the frig on LP gas issue, but still needed to order a new vacuum unit. The frig still did not work on LP gas so we got a local mobil repair guy who fixed it...go figure! Yes we were reimbursed. First long cross country trip started in June and we stopped in St. George, UT. Went to leave 2 days later and the big bedroom slide would not work. It turned out both motors of the slide were burned out; we had maybe used the slide 5 times max. It took a week to get it fixed, $2,500 out of pocket; we were reimbursed immediately, and numerous reservation cancellations. Our whole eastward trip had to be altered due to that issue. We made an appointment with the manufacturer, in Middlebury, IN, since we were going to be next door in Elkhart, IN on our trip back west. By this time we had a crack in the body next to the bedroom slide, the frig needed to be sealed properly because either the door needed to be replaced or just a seal needed tp be replaced because the frig wasn't staying cold on the right side. We found out the vacuum motor caught fire because of a mis-wiring issue by the manufacturer. By the time we stopped at the manufacturer just shy of 2 weeks ago, they fixed most of our issues and the guy we dealed with said the "slide in a slide" design was totally flawed because it was just too heavy. They did a temporary fix on the bedroom slide crack; basically a bondo type fix, but said it would take at least 3 weeks to fix it. We are in between homes and this is our temporary home. We can't afford to give the unit up for 3 weeks. And now, this past Saurday, 2 days ago, we were scheduled to leave Elkhart, IN and go figure, the bedroom slide would not retract! We are so ready to contact an attorney and have this unit declared a lemon due to the design flaw, because no matter what they do, it will continue to happen, and we will continue to get stuck God knows where. So there you have it!
TripleG1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #6

I can't say too much about the SSWS yet as we just got our 2020 two weeks ago and are just exploring it and loading all the stuff from our Newmar. I can address the MoRyde though. I had that pin box on my Newmar and still had some chucking. I don't believe it can get rid of it all; just minimize it. Question for TripleG.. What year is your SSWS? I didn't think they came with LP fridge"s?
scrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
The pin box we are using is the one that came with the unit. A MorRyde box.
I have been having a chucking issue with this unit and have had many talks with the MorRyde rep. I have even tried different springs with the help of MorRyde. They have been very helpful. But still have not resolved the chucking issue. This is my first fifth wheel so I may be expecting too much of a smooth ride.
What is the makeup of your tow vehicle?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
BLK

I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually. Stock suspension. Curt 20K receiver.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #9

It's a 2019. And it has a dual electric/lp gas full size frig.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

It's a 2019 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, with the air lift aftermarket suspension. The 5th wheel receiver is a B and W 20000 pound.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #11

Angus and Joan here with a 2019 Pinnacle 36SSWS purchased last December. We have been full time since April.

Water heater failed and Dometic sent a new controller board right away no charge.

Awning failed in a rain storm - Self inflicted.

Bedroom failed to extend one day. Traced to BR Door popped loose from safety switch. Jayco tech incorrectly said that this would not stop the slide from extending- just retracting. Wrong. Local RV tech bypassed power to the controller and Jayco paid the bill. Now I know how and we throw a pillow in the hallway to press against the door to keep it in the switch when traveling.

Bedroom door has closed only once at PDI but we don't care as we live alone besides the 8 pets. Big design flaw.

Numerous cosmetic furniture scratches and tool marks that I fixed with a wax pencil.

All else is cool and we are happy. Mind you we have not traveled much since I still work but that changes in October when we will start piling on the miles.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #12

I certainly feel your pain. We took delivery of a new 32RLTS in March and have a huge laundry list of problems too. I posted about them a few weeks ago. Some are:

- Screws backing out of floor and punching through linoleum in living area
- Hot water heater doesn't work on gas
- Numerous plumbing leaks underneath. The belly of the unit fills up with gray water. Smells up the unit big time. On a recent trip it bowed so much the dealer told us to cut a hole in the liner until it could be fixed. The problem was where the plumbing connects to the tank. The drain pipe wasn't at a 90 degree angle so it wasn't flush with tank. All the sloppy goop they put around the joint didn't hold.
- Fridge leaking water inside the exterior compartment
- TV had a red line in the picture
- Squeaky steps and floor
- Numerous paint problems (we have full body paint)
- Auto level system didn't level properly
- Bathroom pocket door scrapes and has damaged door finish
....and much more

Ours has been at the dealer for the last three weeks getting repaired. Hopefully we will get it back soon, so we'll see what happens. If things don't get resolved to our satisfaction, we'll be contacting an attorney.

We spoke with Jayco about taking the unit to Indiana. They said they were booked until next February (what does that tell you?). Anyhow, we decided to let our local dealer try to fix all this stuff. We're in Tucson, so it's a helluva trip. Got our fingers crossed.

So sorry to hear about all of your issues, but after our experience, not surprised.

Hoping you get things fixed and can enjoy your unit.
tfoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #13

The only problem we have had was leveling system was never set to zero level so I called LCI and was sent owners book with page number to directions on how to level 5th wheel and reset the zero level. Works great now. Also a rivet came out of the outside wall next to the steps. (In the off season I will get dealer to fix it.

Hopefully I will not have any of the other problems people have posted. Had it out abouit 4 times already and open and closed it several times in the driveway to show people. I keep it pluged into a 50 amp box I had installed for it. Most of the time I keep the slides out.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
The only problem we have had was leveling system was never set to zero level so I called LCI and was sent owners book with page number to directions on how to level 5th wheel and reset the zero level. Works great now. Also a rivet came out of the outside wall next to the steps. (In the off season I will get dealer to fix it.

Hopefully I will not have any of the other problems people have posted. Had it out abouit 4 times already and open and closed it several times in the driveway to show people. I keep it pluged into a 50 amp box I had installed for it. Most of the time I keep the slides out.
Larry,

If that's all you've had to deal with, you're doing better than many of us. Congrats!
tfoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #15

[QUOTE=pawags45;785516]The only problem we have had was leveling system was never set to zero level so I called LCI and was sent owners book with page number to directions on how to level 5th wheel and reset the zero level. Works great now. Also a rivet came out of the outside wall next to the steps. (In the off season I will get dealer to fix it.

Hopefully I will not have any of the other problems people have posted. Had it out abouit 4 times already and open and closed it several times in the driveway to show people. I keep it pluged into a 50 amp box I had installed for it. Most of the time I keep the slides out.[/

UPDATE

We have had the unit for just over a year and found several more problems.

1) Hose that goes to water pump when in winterazation mode was kinked in half from factory and could not get antifreeze in.

2) Sail switch in furnace went up.

3) Water Heater would not work on LP mode. (Still worked on Electric mode) Modular needed replaced.

Jayco allowed me to use a mobile tec on each of these repairs and they reinburst me for the bill.

4) Bathroom door came off track and I repaired this with the help of my brother in law. The stoper had to be be moved to prevent this from happening again.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #16

We are in for over one year FT and doing well. We had another issue with the BR slide not extending due to the BR door jumping out of the lock-out switch, but this time we had the RV tech permanently short the wires to the switch so that the slide will always work.

It has worked out to be an overall very comfortable home. It has enough thermal mass such that we stay cool enough in summer, warm in a (southern) winter and our onions and potatoes do not spoil in the pantry. We quarantined in a darling little hideaway park in rural Alabama for 3 mos. and were very comfortable.

We did develop the dreaded sidewall crack but it has not grown in 9 months of occasional traveling and we are finally headed to Vogt RV in Ft Worth to have it repaired on Jayco's dime. We'll just find a way to turn this inconvenience into another family adventure.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #17

[QUOTE=pawags45;785516]The only problem we have had was leveling system was never set to zero level so I called LCI and was sent owners book with page number to directions on how to level 5th wheel and reset the zero level. Works great now. Also a rivet came out of the outside wall next to the steps. (In the off season I will get dealer to fix it.

Hopefully I will not have any of the other problems people have posted. Had it out abouit 4 times already and open and closed it several times in the driveway to show people. I keep it pluged int

Update: The water heater went up. Mobile RV Tec replaced the controler, Furnace stoped working and a hose to allow you to send anti freeze to pump was bent in hale from Factory not allowing any in. Mobile RV Tec fixed these also. Jayco did pay for the RV TEC both times. But I did get pre appoval first and on thwe water heater I had to pay for the service call. But I do trust my mobile rv tec over the dealer.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
Old 07-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
The pin box we are using is the one that came with the unit. A MorRyde box. I have been having a chucking issue with this unit and have had many talks with the MorRyde rep. I have even tried different springs with the help of MorRyde. They have been very helpful. But still have not resolved the chucking issue. This is my first fifth wheel so I may be expecting too much of a smooth ride.
I now have 7,300 miles on my 2019 Pinnacle 37RLWS and do not have any chucking problems at all. I think the MorRyde pin box is excellent. I contribute it, together with my B&W Companion hitch for the elimination of chucking. B&W's process for manufacturing the jaws is so precise that there is absolutely no play when the jaws wrap around the kingpin.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #19

We took ours back to the factory for that. They did an outstanding job on that. We discovered the hard way that there are good work crews and terrible work crews there. The good crew tried to make up for the terrible one. We unfortunately did not see that the bad crew did not fix the bathroom shower walls that were not attached to the walls and now there us mold there and now nit under warranty.
montana800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #20

Our 2021 pinnacle 36SSWS has been a bit if a disappointment! Refer leaking in access panel. Ice maker solenoid failure. Stuck bedroom slide. Bedroom slide crown molding fell off. Various trim falling off. Barely cools off in 100 degree heat. Shower walls warped. Shower leaks. Mildew smell in bathroom.
We bought it in June, had it for 17 days. Back to dealer for 25 days. We had planned long trips. Can’t do that now with mildew in leaking shower.
Extremely disappointed in our $120K purchase!!!
Debndave is offline   Reply With Quote