Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2024, 07:37 AM   #1

Pinnacle 36SSWS Slim Rack Slide question

I tried searching for information on this, but couldn't seem to find anything similar.

We have a 2022 Pinnacle 36SSWS and our Slim Rack slide is stuck. One side of the slide came out about 10 inches and the other side didn't move at all. Now it won't move either way.

We have researched and even took the Lippert course on these slides and it looks like we will need to take out the motors to push it back in. However, how does one re-install the motors after the slide is pushed back in? Everything says to re-install the motors from the inside once you close the slide. Well, how do you get to it from the inside? Is there a secret? I can't get to the bathroom or bedroom when the slide is in, so how could you access the motors near the top of the slide? I can see maybe getting to the one by the stairs, but the other side... there is no way that I'm aware of.

We have called our local dealer, and because we are in Canada, the service techs are closed until May. Has anyone ever experienced this?

A visit to access something in the bedroom turned out to be a big ordeal.
Missinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM   #2

I’m in the same boat as you with a Northpoint and unfortunately, I have no answer either. When my slides are in, you can’t get to the motors because the cabinets in the way. However, if I ever do have a problem, I’m gonna modify the trim around the slide, so that it can be removed and get to the motors easily in an emergency.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:29 AM   #3

You shouldn't have let it get that far out on one side...you are probably are physically jammed. You need some professional help with that before you incur damage.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, not trying to bash you.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
You shouldn't have let it get that far out on one side...you are probably are physically jammed. You need some professional help with that before you incur damage.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, not trying to bash you.
I was using the control panel by the front door, and that slide is around the corner up the stairs. I didn't notice it wasn't working until it stopped. You can't see that slide at all when you are opening it.

We are trying to get professional help, but most service tech depts of our local RV centers are closed for the season and not reopening until May. I just really want to get it closed, so wondering how we would access the motors once the slide was pushed in (assuming we can push it in).
Old 04-05-2024, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinova View Post
I was using the control panel by the front door, and that slide is around the corner up the stairs. I didn't notice it wasn't working until it stopped. You can't see that slide at all when you are opening it.

We are trying to get professional help, but most service tech depts of our local RV centers are closed for the season and not reopening until May. I just really want to get it closed, so wondering how we would access the motors once the slide was pushed in (assuming we can push it in).
ok that error makes sense. Have you located the control panel, mine is in the overhead of the left side of the cargo compartment, looking up from the side of the city water connections.

I have attached the reset procedure, you could try that to retract the slide with someone firmally pushing on the outside corner that is sticking out while pressing retract.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slim Rack reset procedure.pdf (142.4 KB, 13 views)

B&W hitch
Old 04-05-2024, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:

This is why I like using the phone app with the BMpro. I can visually watch the slide to ensure if something isn't happening correctly I can stop before it gets too out of control.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick0 View Post
This is why I like using the phone app with the BMpro. I can visually watch the slide to ensure if something isn't happening correctly I can stop before it gets too out of control.
We will definitely watch more closely from now on. Our previous trailer - a 2021 Grand Design Solitude didn't have any issues with the slides. And we had a huge flood and 6 inches of dirty river water throughout.. And the slides still worked. Now they were all hydraulic slides, but I was shocked how everything still worked (mostly) after the flood.

One of those things that we didn't think about, but for sure, will take more care moving forward. Now if we can just get that slide closed... and I will worry about the rest when the weather gets a bit warmer.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:56 AM   #8

Not sure about a 36ssws, but on a Pinnacle look at your slides edges (outside) you will see a strip installed with screws. The screws are not phillips or crosspoint type screws usually (4 point or 6 point screws) need to remove at least 1/3 of the screws (I did half) to be able to get behind that strip to uncover the upper area of the motor and get to the bolt (small bolt) that holds it in. Do not drop or lose that bolt - I cannot strees this enough. The motor will lift out. Inspect the plugin, remove the shring wrap and inspect the wires. One wire to mine pull away because of the heat shrink around the motor - factory mishap on build. GOOD LUCK. Try resetting the controllers first by all means and hold your switches in for at least 5 seconds on each extend and retract.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:32 PM   #9

We had an issue where our kitchen slide would only retract one side for awhile last year. I went outside and pushed it back while my wife ran it in with the hard button on the tablet. We had to do this a couple of times and then it went away. Once it got started it was OK, just wouldn’t start. The dealer looked at it and they couldn’t get it to repeat the fault and neither could we (which is not the most reassuring feeling), but we haven’t had trouble since. No idea what was going on.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:56 AM   #10

The encoders get out of sync which occasionally happens when the retract or extend option is released to early. Usually need to hold for about 5 seconds afterward to keep motor encoders in sync.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:48 PM   #11

If the encoders get out of sync, will one side just stop working?
Old 04-13-2024, 03:53 PM   #12

Will it even try to come back in? Remember, the bedroom door has to be pushed agains the wall to activate that safety switch.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:25 PM   #13

Ours does not. Door position means nothing.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
I tried searching for information on this, but couldn't seem to find anything similar.

We have a 2022 Pinnacle 36SSWS and our Slim Rack slide is stuck. One side of the slide came out about 10 inches and the other side didn't move at all. Now it won't move either way.

We have researched and even took the Lippert course on these slides and it looks like we will need to take out the motors to push it back in. However, how does one re-install the motors after the slide is pushed back in? Everything says to re-install the motors from the inside once you close the slide. Well, how do you get to it from the inside? Is there a secret? I can't get to the bathroom or bedroom when the slide is in, so how could you access the motors near the top of the slide? I can see maybe getting to the one by the stairs, but the other side... there is no way that I'm aware of.

We have called our local dealer, and because we are in Canada, the service techs are closed until May. Has anyone ever experienced this?

A visit to access something in the bedroom turned out to be a big ordeal.
Just to answer your question on how to get to the bedroom motor once the slide is in.
1- could you not be in the bedroom and wait while others push the slide in. Then crawl out the emergency exit window if you canít get the slide working again.
2- come in and out the emergency exit window once the slide is in
3- if youíre the right size, get on top of the slide once itís pushed in and shimmy across into the bedroom and shimmy off onto the bed.
Stolen>>2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW<<Stolen

2024 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:15 AM   #15

We have a jayco 30z with a rear slide and in order to replace motor slide had to be half in and half out. More in than out and mattress had to be removed. You need access to both inside and outside. Most of work is done inside but there is a screw on the outside that secures the motor from spinning. U tube schwintek slide motor replacement, video really helped. Motor has to be lifted to remove, very tight working conditions but doable.
Benwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwalt View Post
We have a jayco 30z with a rear slide and in order to replace motor slide had to be half in and half out. More in than out and mattress had to be removed. You need access to both inside and outside. Most of work is done inside but there is a screw on the outside that secures the motor from spinning. U tube schwintek slide motor replacement, video really helped. Motor has to be lifted to remove, very tight working conditions but doable.
I though we were talking about a slim rack system?

B&W hitch

Tags
36ssws, slide, slim rack