Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #1

Pinnacle 5th Wheel

Hello!

My husband and I are in the planning stages for purchasing a new fifth wheel, and I'm looking for some advice / opinions, if someone would be so kind.

We saw a 2011 Jayco Pinnacle at the Hershey Show and are very interested in this unit. Our understanding is that the Pinnacle has replaced the Designer. Does anyone on the Forum have a Pinnacle yet? We asked if the front and rear caps were gel coated, and the salesman answered "yes", but hesitated when he replied. Can anyone here confirm that they are indeed gel coated? The literature says the baggage doors are and refers to "Gel 360 Exterior Shell", but some of the Designers we've seen appear to have a dull finish on the front cap after a few years.

He also told us the unit came with "heavy duty" brakes, and disk brakes were not available. What are your thoughts about pulling a fifth wheel of this size without disk brakes?

Also does anyone have the Mor/Ryde CRE 3000 suspension on their unit? If so, what is your opinion of this?

Thanks kindly!
SandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #2

Hi Sandy & Welcome
We have a 2010 Designer and the front and back ends are Fiberglass. We looked at the Pinicale at the Jayco Factory last week. Looked good we liked some changes but, we'll stay with our Designer.
Sounds like the saleman was just that a salesman. When we bought the sale girl said we knew more about the product than her. I don't think I would admit that. The brakes are sized with the axles as in HD. We have the Mor/Ride suspension. We opted out for the Mor/Ride PinBox and went with the AirBourne Sidewinder PinBox (Love It)
Good Luck with your search.
Wayne
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #3

Awwww, fond memories planning and shopping for the new rv! Lucky you. We have a tt so can't help ya out with your questions. Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum and happy shopping!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

Can't address your question (s) but did walk through one of the Pinnacle's Jayco had on display at the factory, nice unit. Have to admit there were some things I liked better in the Eagle (forget which model), i.e. recliners for one thing but they could be changed out, and after viewing what they had on hand I'd have to say I'd pick the Eagle. This might change after a further inspection of various models. Either way I doubt you'd go wrong regardless of the model.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. The pinnacle is a nice long unit. Might need a MDT to pull it.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #6

Hi Sandy,Be careful about a Jayco Eagle,I have a2008 31 ft. RLQS, it has so many squeaks in the floor I am starting to hate it.Dealer just claims they all sqeak.
Good luck. Larry
leanlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #7

I have a spread sheet Jayco sent me earlier this year with the differences in a Designer 35RLTS and the comparable Eagle. PM me if you want a copy. The differences are really there and some of them major in my opinion. I know the Pinnacle is a new model, but since it replaced the Designer I'm sure a lot of these differences are still valid.
Again, this info was sent to me direct from Jayco at my request. I'm sure they would do it again for you if asked.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for your responses. I also liked the Designer RLTS, and was concerned when I heard they were no longer making them. I was happy to see the similar floorplan in the Pinnacle. And I noticed what appeared to be the exact same floorplan in the Eagle. We will be full-timing in ours, so thought we would go "whole hog" and get the Designer / now Pinnacle, but wanted to get opinions of others.
Samsons Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #9

We just picked up our new Pinnacle last Thursday and so far we are very happy with it. This is our first Jayco so I can't compare it to the Designer or Eagle but I am very pleased with the quality of the unit and especially the woodwork. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help, but since I've only had it for a few days I'm sill learning about it myself.
Jelliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanlarry View Post
Hi Sandy,Be careful about a Jayco Eagle,I have a2008 31 ft. RLQS, it has so many squeaks in the floor I am starting to hate it.Dealer just claims they all sqeak.
Good luck. Larry
I disagree with your dealer about they all squeak. If I were you I'd contact the factory and see what they have to day. Be sure and tell 'em what your dealer said then add that you doubt the brand would sell good if they had a reputation of squeaky floors. I'd bet the factory might try to help you out, can't hurt to contact them either way.

Pete
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #11

I have one ; for one; the exhaust vent outlet hole is not Aline with the convention oven/microwave oven exhaust hole on the unit meaning that your not exhausting your fumes out properly and you're creating condensation. 2nd ; the big window by the kitchen table comes a little lose. it sinks in and out as you clean it . it seems the glass is not sealed correctly! .. oh and the propane bottles ...what a hassle to take those out .. other than that its all good... I have to say that if jayco is going to make a polar all season trailer they better stop putting too many windows... This thing does get cold during the winter when the temp get down below 30 , especially in the living area ...
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #12

I have been in my Designer full time since August 2010. I do have the Polar package and dual pane windows. The highest temp I have seen so far was in August and in the mid 90's. Both a/c's work fine. No problems maintaining a comfortable temp inside.
The lowest temp I have seen was 13 degrees a few weeks ago and the furnace had no problems keeping it very comfortable in the living area. I also have the electric "fireplace" and I do use it also to keep the propane usage down a bit, but comfortable it definitely is even without the electric heater.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote