Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Pinnacle Battery Maintenance

I confess, I have been negligent checking water levels on my two batteries. The primary reason is that I have not had time to figure out how to access the batteries easily.

I have attached a photo of where my batteries are located. I currently have two batteries. The photo shows one battery, the other is behind it. I currently have a battery minder hooked to them.

Do I have to disconnect the batteries to check the water levels? I don't see any way to get at the second battery without disconnecting the first and pulling it all the way out.

If anyone has a pinnacle I would love to hear how they do it. Secondly, I am planning on adding two more. There is a shelf above the batteries in the photo. I am assuming that is where battery 3 and battery 4 would go.

I would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171215_164037805_HDR.jpg  
Old 12-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #2

My north point is the same set up. A real PITA to check water levels. Yes, you will need to disconnect to pull second battery forward to check its water level. The top shelf is indeed for extra batteries.

Morryde makes a battery pull out tray that you could get. That would make battery maintenance much easier. Motorhomes have them as well as some better equipped fifth wheels.
I need to check my batteries too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #3

I took the shelf above the batteries out and now can check the water level in them much easier. When I go to four 6 volts, I'm going to install them in cargo compartment to the left of where they are now............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #4

I swapped mine out for AGM Optima batteries...no more checking water levels.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was hoping there was something that I was missing.

I do plan on adding additional batteries in the future. I have my Onan gas tank beside the batteries so my options for them seem to be limited.

I think given their location, I will definitely look for batteries that are sealed.

It also seems to be me that when I have 4 batteries, wiring the batteries up serially and/ or in parallel would be problematic given the location and space available.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

If you use AGM batteries they don't need venting so you can relocate them if desired. I went with 4x 6v AGM installed in the genny bay so I didn't have to make up a vented box. In the end the AGM's were more cost effective.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
If you use AGM batteries they don't need venting so you can relocate them if desired. I went with 4x 6v AGM installed in the genny bay so I didn't have to make up a vented box. In the end the AGM's were more cost effective.
What brand did you end up going with? Do you have solar in the mix? Sounds like you don't have a generator.

Over all, are you happy with them?
Old 12-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivusCraig View Post
What brand did you end up going with? Do you have solar in the mix? Sounds like you don't have a generator.

Over all, are you happy with them?
I bought Fullriver 6v 224AH AGM's. They cost me 1300$CDN. I've used them for two winters in the US SW with no issues. The first yr I used a 2000w Champion the recharge then I installed 320w of solar and only needed the genny 1 day in 3+ months.

This is the install in the front bay where a fixed genny would be installed
Attached Thumbnails
trlr11.jpg  
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I bought Fullriver 6v 224AH AGM's. They cost me 1300$CDN. I've used them for two winters in the US SW with no issues. The first yr I used a 2000w Champion the recharge then I installed 320w of solar and only needed the genny 1 day in 3+ months.

This is the install in the front bay where a fixed genny would be installed
Sounds like a great success to me! Great photo. A picture is worth a thousand words. Appreciate you going to all the trouble.

I will definitely check them out. Thanks.

Tags
battery maintenance, pinnacle 36 fbts